Thoughts about the Chevy Volt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts about the Chevy Volt

Surprisingly, since the new LG battery plant moved into my town, Holland, I have noticed more and more charging stations popping up at random places. I guess since they are making the batteries for the Chevy Volt, they are expecting them to buy this car to go to and from work. But, I have yet to see more than 4 different Volt's in town.
    Performance
    CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
    Platinum Apex Rims ( 18x8 ), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles, (Chrome)

Audio
    2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
    600watt Sony X-plod Amp

On the list:
    Window tint
    Glasspack

Comment

The chevy volt is for people who have the money and it can fit there style. Its a car GM wont make there money back on, but without the real world testing hybrid/electric cars wont have a future. Now on the 0-60, you are reading more into that then you think. Majority of traffic on the road is commercial after the rush hours and the long comutes on the hwy is commerical. People in Chevy Expresses/ Ford E series vechiles with the 4.6L 2v and the GM 4.8L. Those truck do 0-60 in 10-12 seconds all day long. And most drivers dont beat on them so in the real world exceleration its near 16 seconds to hit 60 MPH.

Issue with the Volt and alot of hybrids is the batteries. There rated at 7 years give or take. The packs are 8-12K dollars and by the time the pack goes bad the next generation batteries will be here in 5 years that are lighter, more powerfull, and cheaper so it makes it hard to want to put the money into repairing a hybrid of today in the future. So I belive a 40K dollar Volt in 7 years will be worth 3-5K dollars IMO.

The future of vechiles IMO is in natural gas engines. We have a ton of natural gas and no idea what to do with it. But like the electric cars we dont really have an infristructer yet to suport them. Into a real system of electric stations or natural gas becomes ready, niether car is a viable solution for the future.
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by mitchd17 View Post
        Surprisingly, since the new LG battery plant moved into my town, Holland, I have noticed more and more charging stations popping up at random places. I guess since they are making the batteries for the Chevy Volt, they are expecting them to buy this car to go to and from work. But, I have yet to see more than 4 different Volt's in town.
        Wow, that's 4 more than I've seen on the road. Only Volt I've seen is at the dealer and I think it's been there a while.

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
        G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

^ Same never even seen one volt on the road yet. For me, the volt is a viable option only 12km each way to work but the pricetag still ruins it. Like it's been said earlier you won't see any cost savings until you own the car for about 8 years and then as dre256 said the batteries are only rated to last 7 years so all cost savings go flying out the door. Really no point in buying it if your only prerogative is to save money, if you're looking to save the environment okay but even that is debated over and over.
          Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

Originally posted by xlemosx View Post
            ^ Same never even seen one volt on the road yet. For me, the volt is a viable option only 12km each way to work but the pricetag still ruins it. Like it's been said earlier you won't see any cost savings until you own the car for about 8 years and then as dre256 said the batteries are only rated to last 7 years so all cost savings go flying out the door. Really no point in buying it if your only prerogative is to save money, if you're looking to save the environment okay but even that is debated over and over.
            Eh evening saving the environment you're better off sometimes with the current car you have than going to a NEW Hybird or Electric car. Think of the battery being made, transportation of it, etc... then the harm it does of sitting in a landfill after the 7 years of use. That's just the battery alone not factoring in the rest of manufacturing pollutants and transportation. Plus you're still polluting because you're still charging the vehicle on a power grid that more than likely uses fossil fuel to power it.

Not calling you out in general but people don't look at the before, after and contributing factors, they only look at the now. Just because you're driving a Hybrid or an Electric car doesn't mean you're saving the Earth a billion fold. You're still polluting by driving and using the vehicle just not in ways that the media or the government stress.

Why I always laugh when people tell me they're saving the environment by buying a new Hybrid or something and I should get rid of my gas guzzling G6 Can't wait to hear from people on my Camaro...

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo64 View Post
              Why I always laugh when people tell me they're saving the environment by buying a new Hybrid or something and I should get rid of my gas guzzling G6 Can't wait to hear from people on my Camaro...
              Studies have shown that the "tree huggers" that are out to save the world with buying hybrids are very much uneducated. Research has shown, the prosses to make the lithium batteries is so toxic and so hard on the environment and produced in other countries that have near no EPA regulation so tons of emmitions into the atmosphere, that the life of a 200K miles Toyata Pruis will never put out less emitions over its life VS a 200K 6.0L Hummer H2.

Yea..... a H2 is better for the enviroment then a Pruis. You wouldnt think so but when you factor in the battery manafacturing, its worse then a 10 MPG H2 V8.

Hybrids are only good for people that are trying cut back there fuel ussage in a "high-tech" way, not to save the world.

2013 Mustang GT
              Brembo brake package
              420 HP 5.0L
              Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Originally posted by dre256 View Post
                Studies have shown that the "tree huggers" that are out to save the world with buying hybrids are very much uneducated. Research has shown, the prosses to make the lithium batteries is so toxic and so hard on the environment and produced in other countries that have near no EPA regulation so tons of emmitions into the atmosphere, that the life of a 200K miles Toyata Pruis will never put out less emitions over its life VS a 200K 6.0L Hummer H2.

Yea..... a H2 is better for the enviroment then a Pruis. You wouldnt think so but when you factor in the battery manafacturing, its worse then a 10 MPG H2 V8.

Hybrids are only good for people that are trying cut back there fuel ussage in a "high-tech" way, not to save the world.
                Couldn't agree more

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo64 View Post
                  Eh evening saving the environment you're better off sometimes with the current car you have than going to a NEW Hybird or Electric car. Think of the battery being made, transportation of it, etc... then the harm it does of sitting in a landfill after the 7 years of use. That's just the battery alone not factoring in the rest of manufacturing pollutants and transportation. Plus you're still polluting because you're still charging the vehicle on a power grid that more than likely uses fossil fuel to power it.

Not calling you out in general but people don't look at the before, after and contributing factors, they only look at the now. Just because you're driving a Hybrid or an Electric car doesn't mean you're saving the Earth a billion fold. You're still polluting by driving and using the vehicle just not in ways that the media or the government stress.

O you got me totally wrong I've heard both sides of the argument and tbh there are good points on both sides but for me it just evens out to if it's not an undisputed way to save the environment then i'm going to drive whats fun lol hell i'm always going to drive whats fun lol
                  Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

And this conversation is particularly the reason that GM will not sell many Volts. Much of the world sees the Volt in the same light as people in this thread. Whoever does market research (I am sure it is internal) for GM needs to be fired. They didn't just misunderstand what the public wants when deciding to go forward with the Volt, they have been misunderstanding what the public wants for years. For example, take the Torrent, Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and Outlook. Who was it at GM that decided the public was ready for the same car re-badged FIVE times? Are these the same people trying to force the Volt out the door? I want American car companies to be successful because I am an American. This is why I get so frustrated with GM. It seems like one misstep after another with no learning curve.
                    Done: G6 2009.5 spoiler, Eibach Springs, Disc Italia cross-drilled and slotted rotors, Disc Italia ceramic brake pads, GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, GM body kit, G6 GXP Street Edition Hood, recessed upper/lower grilles painted matte satin silver, red brake calipers w/decals, 35% tint
                    Electric Blue body color matched: Stock GTP rims on inner portion only, Racingline strut bar, engine cover, battery cover & interior trim pieces

My Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ungerdog View Post
                      For example, take the Torrent, Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and Outlook. Who was it at GM that decided the public was ready for the same car re-badged FIVE times?
                      This has probably got more to do with GM's cost cutting rather than marketing or engineering. Why spend the money to develop 5 vehicles when just 1 will do?
                      Last edited by mrslcom; 03-08-2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom View Post
                        This has probably got more to do with GM's cost cutting rather than marketing or engineering. Why spend the money to develop 5 vehicles when just 1 will do?
                        But just 1 didn't do. The company needed bailout money and cut production lines as a result. It was a failed strategy.
                        Done: G6 2009.5 spoiler, Eibach Springs, Disc Italia cross-drilled and slotted rotors, Disc Italia ceramic brake pads, GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, GM body kit, G6 GXP Street Edition Hood, recessed upper/lower grilles painted matte satin silver, red brake calipers w/decals, 35% tint
                        Electric Blue body color matched: Stock GTP rims on inner portion only, Racingline strut bar, engine cover, battery cover & interior trim pieces

My Progression Thread

Comment

And this conversation is particularly the reason that GM will not sell many Volts. Much of the world sees the Volt in the same light as people in this thread. Whoever does market research (I am sure it is internal) for GM needs to be fired. They didn't just misunderstand what the public wants when deciding to go forward with the Volt, they have been misunderstanding what the public wants for years. For example, take the Torrent, Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and Outlook. Who was it at GM that decided the public was ready for the same car re-badged FIVE times? Are these the same people trying to force the Volt out the door? I want American car companies to be successful because I am an American. This is why I get so frustrated with GM. It seems like one misstep after another with no learning curve.
                          The Torrent only shared with the Chevy Equinox and the Saturn Vue.

The Buick Enclave shared with the Chevy Traverse, Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia.

The new platform of the Chevy Equinox now shares only with the GMC Terrain.

The Torrent, Equinox and Vue are small-medium SUVs. The Enclave, Traverse, Outlook and Acadia are Crossovers (larger SUVs). Definitely not the same vehicles. Each are targeted at different kinds of markets. Makes perfect sense to me.

You have to remember that each brand within GM markets towards a different buyer. I'll do the current brands:

Chevy - Entry level brand
                          GMC - Higher grade SUVs/Crossovers/Trucks
                          Buick - Middle luxury
                          Cadillac - Higher luxury

It's just like how there are the brand name products of Cheerios and then the knock-off store brand. They are pretty much the same cereal but at different prices with more/less taste.
                          Last edited by Ringo64; 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I used to work in the rental car industry and drove every one of these vehicles during my three and a half years there. It was quite obvious that GM's rebadged vehicles were only slight alterations of each other. The overlap of vehicles came off as nothing more than carbon copies of each other with a different name on the trunk and was a losing strategy all day long. Your list of the four brands is the new strategy, I was discussing the old strategy with Pontiac and Saturn involved. As these vehicles are marketed to different groups, they just felt like the same thing over and over. In the new strategy GM needs to stop using this platform strategy and make unique cars. If they can't afford to make 5 midsize vehicles on different platforms, kill them and make 1 or 2. No other company in the world succeeds with that strategy. The point here is that this same disconnect between what the customer wants and what GM delivers plagued them in the past and is doing so again with the Volt. They are like the rat that keeps getting zapped every time they reach for the piece of cheese and never learn that they will be zapped every time if they keep reaching in that direction. Hopefully, the next time they come to the government for bailout money, they will be turned away.

My Progression Thread

Comment

I used to work in the rental car industry and drove every one of these vehicles during my three and a half years there. It was quite obvious that GM's rebadged vehicles were only slight alterations of each other. The overlap of vehicles came off as nothing more than carbon copies of each other with a different name on the trunk and was a losing strategy all day long. Your list of the four brands is the new strategy, I was discussing the old strategy with Pontiac and Saturn involved. As these vehicles are marketed to different groups, they just felt like the same thing over and over. In the new strategy GM needs to stop using this platform strategy and make unique cars. If they can't afford to make 5 midsize vehicles on different platforms, kill them and make 1 or 2. No other company in the world succeeds with that strategy. The point here is that this same disconnect between what the customer wants and what GM delivers plagued them in the past and is doing so again with the Volt. They are like the rat that keeps getting zapped every time they reach for the piece of cheese and never learn that they will be zapped every time if they keep reaching in that direction. Hopefully, the next time they come to the government for bailout money, they will be turned away.
                              I agree with the so many copy-rebadges. Been an issue for 30 years. GM has become too big for its self and it shows on the rebadges. Its the first thing companies have to do when cash flow is short, start sharing identical vechile as they have to keep there franchies happy. They couldnt have Pontiac with 7 vechiles, Saturn with 2 vechiles, Buick with 4, and so on. So they made all brands with like 7 vechiles and thats how it all started. It will be intresting if GM turns them self back into a world leader and WITHOUT trucks as there anchor. For personal reasons with my G6 I doubt I will be a contining GM custormer on there cars. Now on there trucks-vans I like them more then the Fords and rarley have any issues with them.

2013 Mustang GT
                              Brembo brake package
                              420 HP 5.0L
                              Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

I don't know if any post this or not but the Volt in Europe, sold as the Vauxhall/Opel Ampera, won the 2012Geneva Auto Show Car of the Year. The car looks a little nicer that one sold in the US.
                                Roku's Mods: K&N air intake system, Eibach lowering springs, 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Postion Tires, 18in OZ Ultraleggera wheels (black), Disc Italia brake pads and slotted rotors, debadged, 30% window tint, Eagle Eye headlights (black), DDM 6000K HID low headlights, Notto SE 10000K HID fog lights, LED taillights, Koni shock absorbers and front struts, Racingline strut tower bar and grounding kit, Sirius Satellite Radio, BMD front end links, BMD steel braided brake lines, Brembo four piston front brake calipers, MPD ram air hood (body color), upper and lower recessed grilles (body color) GM Ground Effects kit (body color), Hammerhead flushmount spolier (body color), Customized Pontiac Concept Dart (Black w/ Carbon Fiber), Remin carbon fiber dash kit, WAMS ECM 91 Octane Tune, Borla pro xs dual muffler exhaust with vibrant resonator
                                Roku's progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...36&pagenumber=

Comment

Working...
                                X