Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEL - P0018

Hey everyone,

I recently got a CEL that would come on for a day then go away for a week and it did that about 2 times until I finally got a reader to it today and I pulled the code P0018 which apparently is related to stretched timing chain.

Now my question is could this be the winter playing tricks on some sensors since the CEL is so inconsistent or should i be taking this seriously right away and getting my timing chains replaced?

Thanks!
    Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Re: CEL - P0018

I cant find the articals but the eairler 3.6Ls where prone to chains prematuring stretching and needing changed out but I thought that was just the RWD 3.6L aplication but I could be wrong. I dont recall anyother G6 owners having that issue before
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Could also be the tensioner wearing out too.
      2009 Ford Mustang Premium Pony 4.0L
      2001 GMC Sierra SL 4.3L

Comment

I would take it seriously if I was you. Timing chains/belts are tempermental most times and if something does go wrong you will find yourself sitting on the side of the road in a heart beat. I would recomend taking it to an experienced mechanic to check it out.
        1993 Eagle Talon (RIP)
        2007 Toyota Matrix XR (GONE!!!)
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (Let the fun begin)
        2012 Chevrolet Malibu 2LTZ (New family car)

Definition of a Ricer.
        (Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster.

Comment

my guess is chains are stretching. if you still have powertrain warrenty i would get it in. if you dont i would get it in and bring your checkbook

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

The fact that the CEL isn't constant doesn't strike any of you guys as odd? Like since I posted this thread the CEL was cleared and hasn't come back. Should the code not be thrown again almost right away if the chains were stretched?

I'm not sure if I still have power train warranty I've been trying to find out through a local dealership but I've had no luck so far...
            Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

pm me your vin ill find out for you. its problebly on teh borderline of being badley stretched so its noramly running ok but occasiaonly it doesnt run quite right and sets teh light

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
              you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Just thought I would update everyone on what ended up happening.

So ahuhn checked my warranty for me (When the systems came back up) and found that my warranty ended at the end of January. Seeing that I was only 9 days out of that when I started this thread I called GM Customer care on February 13th and explained that I knew the issue and it seems to be a quite common issue with the 3.6l engines (My parents enclave with the 3.6 had to have it's chains replaced a month prior). The advisor on the phone told me that I'd have to bring it into a dealership to have it diagnosed and then they would be in contact with the dealership to talk about things. So that day I brought it into a local Chevy dealership that is usually pretty good (probably the best service I've seen out of a dealership) and told them the situation. Later that day they called me and said that it would be completely covered under warranty, I was ecstatic and told them to go ahead with things.

The next day I got a call from them again saying that they made a mistake because of the update to the systems and my car was out of warranty but they were going to treat it as an extended warranty with a $200 deductible. I didn't bother arguing because $200 is still a lot cheaper than anywhere else would do it for so they didn't really have any reason to do anything else for me.

So hearing this I called back the woman I spoke with at GM customer care and apparently that wasn't even the deal they worked out with the dealership. The dealership just told them that was what they were going to for me, so the woman at GM customer care did the standard procedure and offered free oil changes and what not and without arguing I just asked her if she could speak to the dealership and try and work out something with them because I felt that GM should still stand behind their products 13 days out of the warranty specially when it's a known issue.

So later that day I received a call from GM Customer care again saying that they were going to cover the repair 100%. Again I was happy, I know the dealership could have probably handled it better by not telling me they would cover it and then later saying they would charge me but ultimately they worked with GM Customer care and covered it all anyways so overall I'm happy. It felt nice to walk in there, pick up my keys and walk out without paying anything lol.

Now I'm just wary of it happening again because it's been reported to happen at as little as 9,000 miles. Apparently GM blames it on oil changes so I'm starting to do my own oil changes probably every 5,000km with mobil 1 synthetic. opefully as long as I do that I won't run into this issue again, also not sure if the chains they replace it with are different or not.

But yea so that's what happened, my G6 lives again and now that I don't have to worry about spending over $1000 on a repair some nice new tires and possibly some crabs are in the Horizon lol

I would just like to thank all of you in this thread for your input and specially ahuhn for looking into my warranty for me, so Thank You.

Comment

A lot of people follow the suggested oil change (the one on your radio) even thought thats wrong. Ive changed my oil every 3000 miles and notice the oil life is still at like 68% (or something like that) and that to me seems inaccurate. Unfortunately, some people probably follow this and end up letting their oil break down too much.
                  sigpic
                  Wheels, Hood, Taillights, Engine, Doors, Mirrors, Bumpers,
                  Windows, Trunk, Seats, Radio, Carpet, Muffler, Sunroof,
                  Shifter, Pedals, Headlights, Grilles, Door Panels, etc.

Comment

ive never seen the probleblem come back on a vehicle thats had the chains replaced. but yeah if you had been following the oil life monitor stop and start changing you oil every 3-4k miles. if you use mobil 1 go ahead adn stretch it to 5-6k thats the best bet for your engine

Comment

Bump. I'm sure not many have their 3.6L anymore. But guess what? My '08 GXP G6 almost 190k miles now.. first timing chain stretched around 130k miles back in 2015. Had to bring checkbook. If this isn't a scheme from GM.... Now in 2019 the car has only gone 60k miles and now there is cel p0018 showing regularly. My fingers are crossed hoping that it's just a cam sensor messed up or an actuator this time. But odds are dealer will say entire overhaul will be needed. I'll reply when I get word back on the final outcome.

Comment

I pulled the cam position sensor in question out and cleaned and reinstalled. The P0018 code disappeared lucky me.

Comment

Working...
                        X