Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P0455 code

Hi GUys,

I've been getting "Check Gas Cap" error messages on the radio display and the "SES" light is on.

I had the error codes read and the code was P0455.

I've been reading up about the error on this forum and replaced the gas cap with one from O'Riely's Auto Parts.

Now a week later I've been getting the same "Check Gas Cap" messages on the radio and the SES light is on again. Also getting the same P0455 error.

Is it possible that the gas cap I go is bad or do I have to look further now and replace the vent solenoid? Should I have gotten the gas cap from the dealer?

If it is the vent solenoid where would that be located? Is it by the gas tank or heaven forbid...IN the gas tank?

Thanks for the info.

Re: P0455 code

When it comes to evap leaks, I end up sending the car to the shop. They can smoke the system and figure out where the leak is coming from.
    2009 Ford Mustang Premium Pony 4.0L
    2001 GMC Sierra SL 4.3L

Comment

if you put a non gm gas cap on it that could be it but i tend to see more vent solenoids go bad. sadley that vent is partialy on top of the tank. not as bad as in the tank but still aint easy

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn View Post
        if you put a non gm gas cap on it that could be it but i tend to see more vent solenoids go bad. sadley that vent is partialy on top of the tank. not as bad as in the tank but still aint easy
        Thanks guys...

Yes I went underneath there last night and it doesn't look fun. It wouldn't be so bad if I could get it on a hoist so I would have more room to work. But having the car just on ramps makes it nearly impossible.

Not sure what to do...I called the dealer and asked if it would still be covered under warranty (for the emissions - I have 67,000 miles on the car) but the guy said he doubted that it would. He said if it was the solenoid that it would be up to $225 to fix but they wouldn't know for sure until they investigated it more.

The cap seems to be doing it's job and I'd hate to buy another gas cap from the dealer (yes I am cheap and who knows how much that would be from them)....but I'm still not 100% sure the cap isn't right.

Might just have to suck it up and take it in...

Comment

Here's some info on the Emissions Warranty
          http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
          Maybe it can help shed some light for ya.

I wonder if you can just use a fog machine and find your leak that way. haha

Comment

I actually have this same problem. I'm also reporting a P0496 along with the 455.
            I've been told it is most likely the Canister purge valve, up next to the intake. $25 and one bolt.
            I'm going to replace it this week and get back to you.

Comment

Did replacing the canister purge valve eliminate the code po455?

Comment

My wife's 06 GT sedan is have the same issue. We replaced the gas cap with the OEM part from the dealership (~$20) and the canister purge valve. Still throwing the code.

It is worth noting that apparently GM has a patent on the diameter of the gas cap so any aftermarket cap will most likely trip the P0455 code and or the "Check Gas Cap" message. I haven't noticed any performance issues (yet) though.

Comment

My wife's 2008 G6 2.4L is currently throwing po455. I have replaced the gas cap with another OEM gas cap and replaced the vent solenoid. After clearing the code, the light comes back on next time car is driven any distance. I replaced the purge valve about three months ago to fix a couple other codes. I don't think po455 was one of them, but I could be mistaken. I'm not getting any "check gas cap" message on the info screen, just the engine light. Could the new purge valve have failed causing only the po455 code? Alternatively, could the code be something that will go away once the new vent solenoid gets broken in? I believe the evap canister was included as part of the new vent solenoid. Also, someone said they thought this code can be caused by a leak OR a blockage of some sort. The scanner does say as part of the code "large leak / no flow."

Comment

Well, I checked my receipts and I got the purge valve from Auto Zone. So I decided to exchange it for a new one, and the light's been off for a few days now. When I reset it after the new gas cap and vent solenoid, it was back on the next day. I guess if it happens again I'll order an AC Delco purge valve from somewhere. At least the original one lasted 7 years. The Auto Zone one didn't even last 2 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X