VFAQ for DIY Electrical Power Steering Assist Assembly Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFAQ for DIY Electrical Power Steering Assist Assembly Swap

I put this together after my wife's 2005 g6 had the same problem that many/most 2005 models will have eventually. Hopefully this will help people that GM is alienating with their <100k mile "recall". I was able to find a low mileage unit at a local auto recylcer for under $100 out the door and it sounds like this is a common price. I had never done this before and taking my time it was about an hour to remove and about 30 minutes to replace. I could probably do the removal now in 30 minutes and replace it in 15. Let me know if you find any problems or need clarifications.

Note, I will be able to host this for a little while but will eventually have to move it (I'll update the link).

Wayne

http://northbendtech.com/wayne_k/g6/...ering_swap.pdf
    184k miles and going strong...

Re: VFAQ for DIY Electrical Power Steering Assist Assembly Swap

Pontiac G6 Electric Power Steering Assist Motor/Module Swap

By Boostaddict-G6, 8/2011

I’m writing this VFAQ to help show others what is involved with swapping out the electric power steering assist assembly. As many people (and GM knows) the 2005-2006 Pontiac G6 is notorious for having the DIC (driver info center) display “Power Steering” with the end result being that the power steering might fail and lock up at any time (very serious safety risk). The reported root cause is failure of the torque sensor. The easiest method to fix the problem is to replace the entire electric power steering assist assembly which is what GM recommends. For those that don’t wish to replace the entire electric power steering assist assembly Dorman sells a replacement steering position/torque sensor p/n 905-513 (for around $100 online) and they have a YouTube video showing how to swap the sensor once you have the electric power steering assist assembly removed. I have no experience with replacing the sensor but figured others might be
    interested.

Many auto recycling centers sell low-mileage electric power steering assist assemblies either
    individually or as part of the steering column (some with warranties). These are valid options to
    save some serious $ (used parts under $100 vs. $700 for a new assembly).

Note, I take no responsibility for personal injuries or damage to any vehicle as a result of
    attempting this repair. By attempting the repair using this visual guide you assume all risk.

The replacement of the electric power steering assist assembly requires disconnection of the
    drivers side airbag module. You MUST disconnect the battery (per service manual
    instructions) prior to starting this repair!

Tools needed:
    7mm nut driver or socket for panels/covers
    11mm socket (3/8 drive) and extension for pinch bolt
    15mm socket/wrench for steering column bolts
    Panel removal tool (or putty knife/screwdrivers)
    Small screw drivers/picks for electrical connectors

Let’s get started.

If you have a power drivers seat put the seat back to a reasonable distance to give yourself room
    to work under the dash. Make sure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is straight.

Disconnect the battery (per service manual instructions). To avoid any chance of accidental
    battery connection, I highly recommend complete removal of the battery from the vehicle
    (especially for those not used to working on motor vehicles).

Remove the lower plastic cover (two 7mm bolts) and set aside.

Figure 1 – lower plastic cover bolts

Using a trim removal tool, screwdriver, or putty knife, remove the left-side cover. The cover
    will pop off with a little force.

Remove the plastic trim piece under the steering wheel. Two 7mm bolts are now visible under
    the left side dash cover and the third is near the drivers right knee. Pop the obd2 connector out
    of the trim piece.

Figure 2 – side cover removal and trim bolt locations

Remove the steel knee reinforcement (four 7mm bolts) and set aside.

Figure 3 – steel reinforcement bolts

Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the hood release lever (optional). This will make reassembly
    easier later (see Figure 10).

Remove the 11mm pinch bolt holding the intermediate shaft to the electric power steering assist
    assembly and wiggle the intermediate shaft u-joint off. Make note of how the bolt is retained for
    easy of re-assembly.

Figure 4 – pinch bolt

Disconnect the left-most two electrical connectors from the electric power steering assist
    module. The third connector (on the right) goes to the motor and does not need to be removed.

Figure 5 - electric power steering assist module connectors

Remove the two 15mm bolts that hold the steering column to the dash.

Figure 6 – steering column bolts

Did you remember to disconnect the battery earlier?

At this point there will be nothing holding the steering column in the car. The weight of the
    column (and gravity) will likely pop the upper steering column cover off. If not, remove it (4
    tabs) to access the steering wheel connectors. Remove the connectors that run to the steering
    wheel. I had 5 connectors but you might not depending if you have steering wheel audio
    controls. The yellow connector is for the airbag! Take care when removing the connectors. I
    used a set of picks to carefully pry up the tabs and slide the connectors out.

Figure 7 – pry off upper steering column cover

Figure 8 – steering wheel/column connectors and pry points

Cut the large zip tie holding the steering column to the electric power steering assist assembly.
    Gently pull the splined steering column (including the steering wheel) from the electric power
    steering assist assembly. Do not turn the steering wheel at any point or the clock spring (GM
    calls it a SIR coil) could become damaged. Set the column assembly aside.

Loosen the one long 15mm bolt that holds the electric power steering assist assembly to the dash.
    There is a flange nut that will fall out once the bolt is free (it has a convenient keeper to keep it
    from spinning). You cannot physically remove the bolt from the assembly… just push it out as
    far as it can go before hitting the pedal assembly (it will hang at an angle).

Figure 9 – long 15mm bolt

Slide the electric power steering assist assembly off the long 15mm bolt.

Figure 10 – slide electric power steering assist assembly off long 15mm bolt

If you are installing a used electric power steering assist assembly make sure the splines are
    clean and properly greased.

Figure 11 – lube new electric power steering assist assembly if necessary

Install the new electric power steering assist assembly and steering column in reverse order. The
    electric power steering assist assembly has a missing tooth on the spline to aid with proper
    orientation (assuming you haven’t turned the steering wheel very far). Torque all hardware to
    factory specifications and replace necessary hardware. GM recommends replacing the pinch
    bolt. Torque the pinch bolt to 36 lb-ft.

Re-connect all wiring at both the electric power steering assist assembly and steering wheel.

Replace all panels/covers in reverse order.

Re-connect the battery.

If the new electric power steering assist assembly is in working order the dash light and DIC
    display should now be clear and the vehicle should now function properly.

One user reported that they required a Tech2 scan tool to code the new power steering control
    module. Other people (myself included) did not require anything to make the swap.

Comment

Thanks for breaking that out into a site-appropriate format. I don’t have access to any image hosting sites from work so that’s a great help. I hope this is useful for others both here and other g6 sites. I try to give back as I can…

Wayne
      184k miles and going strong...

Comment

Well, it was a really nice write-up, so I didn't want it to come up missing since it's a well known issue. I vow never to move any photobucket images for the next 50+ years, so as long as G6P is around, so will your write-up.

Originally posted by Boostaddict-G6 View Post
        Thanks for breaking that out into a site-appropriate format. I don’t have access to any image hosting sites from work so that’s a great help. I hope this is useful for others both here and other g6 sites. I try to give back as I can…

Wayne

Comment

Reviving this thread from years past--- I followed these steps and saved a lot of money doing so-- But now I have a "services airbag" light on, and I don't believe it is the passenger light that is usually the issue. I am going to take the column back down and check all the plugs. Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue I may have caused?

Thank You!!!
          Matthew

Comment

Reviving this thread from years past--- I followed these steps and saved a lot of money doing so-- But now I have a "services airbag" light on, and I don't believe it is the passenger light that is usually the issue. I am going to take the column back down and check all the plugs. Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue I may have caused?

Thank You!!!
            Matthew

Comment

Working...
            X