Mail Strike??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mail Strike??

Wow. I guarantee this will end up before the courts.

Canada Post is a crown corporation. This means that all of those postal workers are government employees. The government, as the employer, has ZERO right to enforce a contract on the workers that pays them LESS than what the final offer was.

While I agree that it was necessary to get them back to work, I completely disagree with the method that they chose to do it in. Binding arbitration is the rule when back to work legislation is tabled.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

not to turn this into a debate but i couldn't care less if the Canada post workers are getting paid the same they were before. Canada Post as a whole is getting less and less service every year, they are making less and less every year, and yet the employee's want to get paid more for having to do less work? They don't deserve the increase in pay and not to mention they work for the government they have job security what are they complaining about?.... I don't know about you but i'd take job security any day over making a couple bucks more.

end of rant
      Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

Originally posted by xlemosx View Post
        not to turn this into a debate but i couldn't care less if the Canada post workers are getting paid the same they were before. Canada Post as a whole is getting less and less service every year, they are making less and less every year, and yet the employee's want to get paid more for having to do less work? They don't deserve the increase in pay and not to mention they work for the government they have job security what are they complaining about?.... I don't know about you but i'd take job security any day over making a couple bucks more.

end of rant
        Actually the postal workers wanted to maintain or expand mail service to all Canadians and it's Canada Post management that implemented all the cost cutting and service cut backs.

The Union said they were willing to accept and keep working under the current contract with no increase in pay or benefits. But Canada Post negotiators demand they sign a new contract that cuts their sick benefit in half, and create a new two-tier system where all new hirees will earn 25% less in pay with next to no benefits, job security, and pension.

Comment

I know where you're coming from Matt. I can agree with your points about them needing to be grateful for having job security, but at the same time I think that society as a whole has gotten to the point where we're always rooting for the employer in labour disputes. The unions are responsible for A LOT of the freedoms we receive today as workers (breaks, 8 hour work days, mandatory vacation time, benefits).

The union wasn't really fighting for wage increases. They were fighting to maintain benefits, and to protect NEW workers that haven't even been hired yet from a two tier system. Postal workers have a very physically demanding job, regardless of the educational requirements and deserve to be compensated accordingly. For some reason society seems to think that only people who have university degrees are worthy of getting paid well and living comfortably. It's really sad.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Okay i guess i should put my foot in my mouth since i didn't really understand the reason behind the strike lol

I completely agree with the second part of what you said too Tom, I have two uncles that work for Canada Post I know they work hard but in terms of wages and getting compensated accordingly it also has to be within the businesses means. Canada Post isn't a huge money making company, it's a company whose profits are falling.

I'm a college student and unfortunately to be where i want to be in life i probably will have to spend another 4 years in university after i graduate college. It's depressing when i think about how many years of school i'll have to go through, I'll probably do it part time while working full time though so i can make some money. But like you said society pays based on degrees and i want to get paid lol.

That being said there are a lot of people without degrees that live fairly wealthy, just look at one of my co-workers he's 23 only went to college and has an interview next week for a job that pays 100k.

but any ways back onto topic, mail should be coming out this afternoon hopefully it won't take them too long to get through the huge backup of mail i want my package lol
            Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

Working...
            X