Americans don't know rules of the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans don't know rules of the road

Thought this was pretty cool and makes me never want to drive in the Northeast haha
    Heres the link to the article http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ...213013421.html
    More than one in five Americans -- some 36.9 million -- are not fit to drive and would fail a driving test if asked to take one today, according to a new survey of the nation's drivers.
    Shocking as that may be, it's actually an improvement. Last year, 38 million received failing grades. Nationwide, the average score this year increased to 77.9% from 76.2% in 2010.
    According to GMAC Insurance, which conducted the survey, the results mean that a great number of people on the road still lack basic driving knowledge, an ignorance that leads to dangerous driving habits.
    For example, a full 85% of those surveyed could not identify the correct action to take when approaching a steady yellow traffic light.
    And only one in four knew safe following distances.
    But, the survey suggests, you can avoid some of these drivers if you know what to look for: Young people, women and motorists who live in the Northeast.
    Twenty-seven percent of women failed the test, while males had a failure rate of 13.6%. The oldest drivers tested -- ages 60 to 65 -- had the highest average test scores at 80.3%.
    Drivers in the Northeast scored lowest, while respondents in the Midwest fared best. The worst place, no surprise to anyone who drives there, is Washington, D.C.
    Wyoming, where less than 5% of the population failed the test, took home the top prize for states.
    The annual GMAC Insurance National Drivers test polled 5,130 licensed drivers from 50 states and the District of Columbia with a 20-question test derived from state department of motor vehicles exams.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
    Originally posted by ahuhn
    so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Re: Americans don't know rules of the road

Yeah I took the sample test and got 90%, but of course protest the two I got wrong The best part is one of the questions is how far ahead of making a right or left turn should you put on your turn signal - approx. 52% of NJ drivers would answer, "What's a turn signal?"

Oh yeah and that "approaching a yellow light" question is one of the ones I got wrong, and the reason 85% got it wrong is because it's very poorly worded.
    CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

I had to retake my driving test last year. simple reason? It had been expired for over a year. Well I don't' drink ever, and I rarely have a reason to pull the license out so I didn't even realize that it was over a year expired.

I got pulled over for a tail light being out, cop let me "off" for that one, but instead wrote a ticket for driving on an expired license (much bigger fine, like $500, yeah thanks for the break Officer)

So I drove to the DMV that day to renew it, turns out you NEED to retake your driving tests if your license is over 1 year expired. So I took them then and there. Passed the written with one question wrong. Question was about stopping for a school bus dropping kids off. I answered that both directions should stop. But it was ambiguously worded and it turns out only one direction need stop in IL when it comes to divided roads. At least I didn't write that you should speed up to pass the bus before the kids start getting off....

For the written it was stupidly simple. Literally around the block. If that's the test its no wonder newer drivers can't drive worth a crap. Not only do they not have practical experience behind the wheel, they have no crisis training (aka emergency lane changes and the like). They train you like you will never have to swerve to avoid a collision. Performance driving should be mandatory to get your license.

My father took me go-karting as a kid. He was obsessive about cutting the apex, braking, and exit lines. Proper passing techniques, as well as when and where it was okay to pass on a track. When I got my permit he took me auto-x'ing and was the hardest instructor to please ever. He raced Formula Fords for 10 years and was big into SCCA racing. Sadly he's fallen out of now that I'm so into it. Would love to hit the tracks with him.

When I drove with him on the roads under a permit he never let me forget ANYTHING. At the same time he still kept up with performance driving skills when they could be applied on the road (cutting apex on off ramps within road lines and the like. Stuff that is legal on the road if unnecessary because of low speeds)
      Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 05-30-2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^^ no wonder illinois drivers cant drive if all they do is drive around teh block lol

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

This really doesn't surprise me at all. I see people doing illegal stuff all the time plus inconsiderate and wrong. Like 2 days ago the power was out at a light and everybody and their mom just went through it when it's supposed to be a 4 way stop. A lady in a stupid Toyota came flooring out not even looking :facepalm:

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
          G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

try living in a state were 1 out of 8-10 drivers do not have insurance or a license to be driving. sometimes they dont have either one. and are here illegally. its bad and scary.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
            Originally posted by ahuhn
            so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Working...
            X