Need any detailing tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need any detailing tips?

Got a small detailing operation and willing to help out with your questions. I've got OCDD (obsessive compulsive detailing disorder) and love to make cars look great. It's even better if it's a Pontiac. If you're around Columbia, SC you're welcome to get in touch and I can help in person.

It's hard for me to get on here as often as I like so if you ask and don't get an answer from me within 24 hours, send a PM so I get notified on my phone.
    Last edited by Romad81; 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM.
    CRAB CAB Intake, Orange Dart Overlays, Orange Calipers, VMS 93 Tune
    Soon to come: GT-R exhaust, Orange GXP Overlays

Re: Need any detailing tips?

Damn. I live in Myrtle Beach. I have family in Columbia though. I think I have my detailing habits under lock though. The only thing I can't get down is using scratch-x and polishing. When I polish, it never seems to make a difference.
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
    GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
    Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

I'm good with washing the car and vacuuming out the inside - wiping down everything but thats about it haha

I keep hearing people talk about sealant, how it is like nectar from the gods for the car. I have a 2009, garaged at home and work so I want to do my best to keep her in top shape!

thanks in advance!
      David
      Semper Fi - David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays

Comment

This is a good website to read on sealant vs wax. http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Basics is sealant is easier to apply and lasts longer, but doesn't give as much shine/depth to the paint. Wax gives more color depth in exchange for loss in durability. Both are excellent at protecting the paint too. You can also double up on them by applying sealant for durability and then topping it with a layer of wax for depth.

What do you suggest is the best reasonably priced wax and sealant and tire shine?

I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 liquid wax since it's polymer based. It keeps my paint protected from the sandy winds at the beach. Carnauba wax wouldn't last a week on my car.
        Last edited by Abyssul; 05-09-2011, 10:26 PM.
        2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

sigpic

Comment

You working by hand or machine? If you're working by hand and trying to take out all the swirls and scratches you'll be working for days and have arms of steel by the time you're done. How are you working the Scratch-X? All over the car or spots that need it? For swirl removal there are other products you'll need to use for a swirl free shine. Scratch-X should usually be used on specific areas that need more defect correction. You have to work it for quite a while since it uses dimishing abrasives. Take a little between your fingers and rub it around for a while. You'll feel the big particles get smaller and smaller. If Scratch-X won't get it out you need to move to a more aggressive product.

What kind of polish? If you're going to polish too soon you're leaving behind defects polish by itself won't remove. Swirl-X would work or there are some other options.

Here's the way I do it to start from a bare surface. Rinse, wash with shampoo made for removing wax/sealant, clay, wash, spot work on heavy defects, swirl removal with dual action polisher and appropriate pad/compound (take out swirls and heavy defects), polish with appropriate pad/polish (remove any haze/very light defect removal), sealant applicationx2 (usually Meguiars #21), wait 24 hours then wax (Dodo Juice Diamond White or Supernatural), wait 12-24 then wax again with Dodo Juice Light Fantastic.

You can change the waxes to whatever suits you. I prefer Meguiars and Dodo Juice. Leaving just a sealant will give you a great shine but usually lacks depth and warmth. It looks almost plastic-like on my white paint but some people like it on other colors. Carnauba wax on top gives it depth and gloss plus a little more of a sacrificial barrier, something you need at the beach with the humidity and sand in the air. I usually wax every 2-4 weeks depending on weather and how much I've driven.

Comment

Meg's NXT 2.0 is a consumer version of the sealant I use. If you lay the proper foundation it will last a long time. Meg's 21 costs about as much as Meg's Ultimate Wax, another great sealant supposedly better than all others in their consumer line. I haven't used it yet. TUF SHINE is a very good tire dressing, a little expensive but worth it for the time it lasts. If it's not for you then Meg's NXT Insane Shine and Endurance are good but will need regular maintenance. There are some dressings in Meg's Detailer line that would work for tires and other surfaces if diluted at the appropriate ratio.

David, if you're willing to spend the time and an initial investment into quality products, I can get you a basic list together of what you'll need to do the above routine for your car. Since it's pretty new it should be in good shape and easy to complete in a weekend. It's a lot of work so it may take longer until you get the hang of a machine but it'll be worth it. A wipedown every day with quick detailer and regular wash and wax will be all that's needed for a while except for the inevitable scratch or paint transfer.
            Last edited by Romad81; 05-09-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I use the Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze as my polish. I try to use to scratch-x with a dual orbital polisher on my hood since that is the spot most prone to swirls. My biggest gripe is to learn when to stop the machine when polish. I don't want the polish to dry out, but I wanna make sure I'm working on that spot long enough to make sure I'm digging into the paint enough. Isn't Scratch-X basically a more abrasive polish?

I'm probably going to get Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax to keep the wax at optimal shine after a typical wash.
              2006 Pontiac G6 GT

sigpic

Comment

#7 is a pure polish meaning it has no abrasives to remove swirls. The oils will fill some of them in but not all. Look for a true dual action polisher like the Meg's G110v2 or Porter Cable 7424XP for defect removal as the other cheaper types you pick up at the auto parts store or Walmart don't have the power to do anything much more than wax application and removal. You can try Meg's 105 and 205 on the polisher or Ultimate Compound or Swirl-X followed by Ultimate Polish by hand. I've been using the Meguiars Microfiber Correction System on the polisher with excellent results on GM paint. I usually only use the first step then sealant with no problems.

You can use M135 Synthetic Spray Detailer, Ultimate Quik Detailer, NXT Speed Detailer, Quik Detailer, or D155 Last Touch spray detailer for daily maintenance. I don't use Ultimate Quik Wax on anything but the side and rear windows and some trim after it's gotten wax or sealant. If it needs wax after washing I'll usually put on Dodo Juice or sometimes Meguiars Gold Class then maintain with one of the quick detailing sprays I mentioned above. Nothing wrong with Ultimate Quik Wax though. It just doesn't sit well on top of Dodo Juice in my experience. Haven't used it right on top of sealant either but if it works for you then have at it and make it shine.

Make sure you aren't putting more swirls back into your hood by using cheap towels either. Invest in some quality microfiber towels for paint work and dedicated waffle weave drying towels. The microfiber you buy in bulk for a steal can scratch so I use them for general purpose cleaning.

Get over this way one weekend next month and I can take care of your hood for you.
                Last edited by Romad81; 05-09-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I probably do need a better orbital buffer, but I don't need it that badly.
                  2006 Pontiac G6 GT

sigpic

Comment

umm. . . jaw drop.

I had no idea. I wash the car with this crystal clear stuff I got from walmart or I run it through the touchless drive through wash. I either let it air dry or hit the road to dry. :: cough :: hush - I know, first mistake.

So, dry the car after a wash - I will buy towels this week. I hear people rave about these waffle weave towels - never used ( never seen in real life, only online )

I wanted to get a machine but being married I have to convince the wife that A - I wont spend too much and B - I wont destroy the car HAHA.

Last thing, one guy on here was talking about washing the car, waxing it and then applying sealant but you are saying to wash, sealant and than wax? I want to do both, but I want to make sure I am applying them in the proper order.

Thanks again, can't begin to tell you how much I've learned already!!

EDIT: I use the Meguiars cleaner wax but only applied it once about 6-7 months ago
                    Semper Fi - David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays

Comment

You will have two types of scenarios.

Typical wash (done once a week):
                      -Rinse car off
                      -Wash with car soap
                      -Rinse
                      -Dry off
                      -Clean Wheels
                      -Apply tire shine
                      -Apply protectorant (Armor-all) to trim pieces and weatherstrips
                      -Wipe rims with glass cleaner
                      -Apply wax detailer

Detailed wash (once every 6 months):
                      - Wash car as described above with dawn soap to remove existing wax
                      - Clay-bar the car
                      - Wash again with shampoo
                      - Polish
                      - Wax

I recommend these items:
                      - Dedicated washing utility (http://www.amazon.com/Armorall-6341-...4997683&sr=1-9)
                      - Car Shampoo (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G7101...4997786&sr=1-2)
                      - Microfiber clothes for drying the car
                      - Black Magic or Meguiar tire shine (spray bottle, not foam) w/ tire foam pad
                      - Natural Shine Protectant (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G4100...4997976&sr=1-1) That is the wipe version, I like the bottle better.
                      - Wax ( http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Gener...4998057&sr=1-3)

This kit here is a good starter kit, although it's missing some things I listed above.

One of the biggest things I like to do is make my black trim pieces look nice because most cars owners neglect that part which makes the pieces turn indefinitely grey and crack. Mine are still black as new.
                      Last edited by Abyssul; 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM.
                      2006 Pontiac G6 GT

sigpic

Comment

David if you're talking about Meguiar's Deep Crystal Wash you're good to go. Use a two bucket method with the grit guard inserts if you can. If not, just two buckets. One with soap and water, the other with clean water. Wash a small section with a quality wash mit or sponge, rinse that section off with the hose, rinse your mit or sponge in clean water, then back to the soap bucket and another panel. You can air dry using waffle weave or other microfiber drying towel or even the leaf blower. Don't get too close to hit the car with it though.

Drive through car washes make me cringe.

Always sealant first. The sealant actually chemically bonds with the paint. That's why I say to wait 12-24 hours to let the polymer chains bond. Keeping the car dry during this time is important as moisture will inhibit/interfere with the bonding. After 12-24 hours you can add another layer of sealant just to make sure you got even coverage or go to a wax. Topping a wax or sealant is personal preference but after so many layers you'll start to get diminishing returns. There may be a few products that can be multi layered more than 2 or 3 but you probably won't be using these products.

Save a little money at a time and buy a machine in a combo with pads or other things you'll need. I picked up a new Porter cable in March with the Meg's Microfiber System for somewhere in the $150-180 range. If you're stuck working by hand for a while use quality applicators like Meguiar's or Lake Country.

Stand by and I can send you a link to where I get most of my products.
                        Last edited by Romad81; 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Ok so you seem to be the expert here. This is what I do to my car, every other week.

-Wash (using rain-x bug wash, the bugs out here are horrible)
                          -let air dry
                          -quick detailer (using turtle wax ice quick detailer)
                          -claybar (once agian using turtle wax ice quick detailer as lubricant)
                          -wax (using turtle wax ice synthetic wax)
                          -and finally wax a second coat for final shine (using caranuba wax)

I don't polish my car that often due to the fact i'm unsure of my skills with a polisher and I don't really have a problem with swirl marks.
                          sigpic
                          MY PROGRESSION:
                          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Neatong6er, your order seems right, but most improvements can be found in the methods of how you do each one.

View this for any specific details on how to do each step.http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
                            2006 Pontiac G6 GT

sigpic

Comment

I have 5 coats of wax on my car at this second. Meguiars 3 step process and then a couple more for some extra shine and protection. Looks great and lasts FOREVER. What id like to know is your guy's preferences on tire shine. i have maybe 3 or 4 different brands in my garage right now lol and i use them all on a brand rotation because i dont even know which one i like better haha.
                              Paying someone to install parts on your car, and bragging about it being fast is like watching someone SMURF your wife, and being proud to raise the kids
                              sigpic
                              Progression Page
                              Four Door Mafia

Forever Pontiac
                              Sponsored by: Negrotis™ Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X