Need any detailing tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need any detailing tips?

So i was just wondering if anyone wants to chime in on the hardness of the clear on our cars. I just took my griot's DA out for the first time and using m105 I got decent results. However, I still have some swirls left (after finishing with 205) and I feel like I need to go more agressive with my pad. Anyone else try to remove swirls/rids? what were your results?
    Mods:
    CRAB option 3 and FPU, iSimple Ipod integrator, Infinity Kappa 693.7i rear speakers, 50 front/20 rear window tint, gtp rims, Brembo brakes, Racingline STB/grounding kit, Intake Resonator Deleted, WAMS Tune.

Upcoming Mods:
    more audio upgrades, racingline MMIs(waiting to be installed)

Comment

Originally posted by Romad81 View Post
      Haven't used Blue Velvet but I do use some other Dodo Juice waxes and Meg's Gold liquid occasionally. I prefer the Dodo Juice for my white vehicles and I'm sure a dark vehicle specific like Blue Velvet would do wonders for your car. I haven't waxed mine in over a month due to time and I have no problems with durability or gloss using White Diamond. It really comes dowm to what you like though. Try a panel pot of Blue Velvet and do one side of your hood with that. Do the other side with Gold and see which you like better and get the best durability out of.
      Great idea. Going to order the panel pot now.

Comment

adespain, what color pad are you using? You may want to try a Lake Country orange pad with M105 then white pad with M205. Work the M105 till you get the bad stuff out. If you're not getting it with M105 and orange you can try a Surbuf pad but be careful with it. Go to detailedimage.com and read up on it first.

I've used the Meg's Microfiber Correction System with very good results on GM and Mazda paint. You can get the kit with D300, D301, 2 cutting pads, 2 finishing pads, a backing plate, and a Meg's apron for under $100.
        CRAB CAB Intake, Orange Dart Overlays, Orange Calipers, VMS 93 Tune
        Soon to come: GT-R exhaust, Orange GXP Overlays

Comment

Got any tips/products for removing water spots on the outside of my windows?
          Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LED map/dome/mirror/trunk/license/reverse lights

Comment

Some people say white vinegar works but I've never really had any luck with it. Try Meguiar's Heavy Cut Cleaner M04 by hand on a microfiber applicator or preferably by rotary polisher. If you don't have a rotary you can use a large drill pad you can pick up at the auto parts store. Double tape around your windshield with painter's or auto masking tape. Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound will also work. This will not scratch the glass, only take off the deposits.

If it's to the point the above method won't work you can try one of the compounds on 0000 steel wool. Be careful since it is possible to scratch your glass doing this. Start at the bottom of the windshield so if it does scratch you won't have to look through it. If you scratch the glass bad enough, you will probably have to have the glass resurfaced professionally which can be quite expensive.
            Last edited by Romad81; 05-12-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

You know I will be the first to say that I am very hesitant on taking advice from someone when I haven't seen their work first hand, but I must say that the advice you gave was awesome!!! I used a light abrasive turtle wax rubbing compound as I didn't was to spring for m205 ultimate polish and the ultimate compound seemed like too much. wash with dawn to strip wax, claybar, polish, synthetis wax, and caranuba to finish it off and this baby is looking fantastic!!!

I am finishing it up now, pics will come!
              sigpic
              MY PROGRESSION:
              http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Glad to be able to help. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of Turtle Wax at all but if it worked out for you that's what matters. I use and recommend the products I do because I've had excellent results with them and they're in a good price range. Sometimes it's more about the technique than the actual brand itself.

There are less expensive products I'll use occasionally, and some more expensive. The less expensive I usually don't get the durability or end result I want. Other times I can get a better deal in bulk for a detailer market product that's in line with other products I use or has multiple uses. The more expensive usually become cost and time prohibitive unless they're requested or I'm doing a special job.

Now hurry up with the pics.
                Last edited by Romad81; 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Ok these are less of the car I tried to get close up on the paint to show you the end result. An of course it rained right after I got finished so I didn't get a good photoshoot.

I am also not a fan of turtle wax with the exception of their ice line I think that it does great in fact I did you turtle was sythetic detailer with the claybar and laid down some ice synthetic wax before I finished with the Meg's gold calss caranuba for the glossy shine.

Here are the pics, keep in mind it's white, which is one of the hardest colors to get reflections off of without seeing the tiniest flaws.
                  Also it really hurts your eyes to see it in person in the sun because the reflection was so bright, kinda like when the reflection off the snow in the winter time hurts your eyes

The white spots here are where the sun was hitting it

sigpic
                  MY PROGRESSION:
                  http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Nice work!!

Comment

Dang dude! Came out looking amazing
                      Semper Fi - David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays

Comment

That's what I like to see. Bring her down to Myrtle Beach over the summer and we can ride with Abyssul.

Comment

Originally posted by Romad81 View Post
                          adespain, what color pad are you using? You may want to try a Lake Country orange pad with M105 then white pad with M205. Work the M105 till you get the bad stuff out. If you're not getting it with M105 and orange you can try a Surbuf pad but be careful with it. Go to detailedimage.com and read up on it first.

I've used the Meg's Microfiber Correction System with very good results on GM and Mazda paint. You can get the kit with D300, D301, 2 cutting pads, 2 finishing pads, a backing plate, and a Meg's apron for under $100.
                          I should have been more specific. I tried orange and tangerine LC pads with the 105 followed by 205 on both the orange and white. I got a better finish down with the orange and m205. I was thinking of trying out the microfiber pads with all the good things I have heard about (I spend a lot of time on autopia). I was really just wondering about the hardness of the paint since I wasn't making a dent in anything other than the very superficial swirls.
                          Mods:
                          CRAB option 3 and FPU, iSimple Ipod integrator, Infinity Kappa 693.7i rear speakers, 50 front/20 rear window tint, gtp rims, Brembo brakes, Racingline STB/grounding kit, Intake Resonator Deleted, WAMS Tune.

Upcoming Mods:
                          more audio upgrades, racingline MMIs(waiting to be installed)

Comment

GM has about average hardness which is relative anyway. You can go back to orange/105 and add a little more pressure and time over the work area or try the microfiber. Make sure you're cleaning the pad while you're working or switching them out since the pad can build up with clear coat and compound. Also, you could be introducing more swirls if you're working too long or using too much pressure. Go over it with orange/105 up, down, left, right using some firm pressure a few times. Do it again using light pressure, then again using just the pressure of the machine. See how this works before going to white/205 using the same procedure.

I've been able to get out just about everything with the microfiber cutting pad and D300. It can take a little time on some areas depending on how bad the swirls are. I did my hood about 2 months ago and it took over 2 hours. About 95% correction. Some spots took a more aggressive compound working by hand and then a little extra time with the microfiber.
                            Last edited by Romad81; 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

One thing for everyone to remember is that every time you use a compound or polish on your vehicle you are removing a small layer of the clear coat. It's imperative you don't use these all the time. You'll be better off doing it once, maybe twice a year. If you compound/polish too much you will end up thinning the paint to the point you may have to have a complete paint job or burning through on corners or other thin areas.

Instead of compounding/polishing all you may need is wash and seal then wax to keep your car looking good. You may need to strip the old stuff off first with a good wash product designed to remove wax and sealant first before sealing. Don't appy sealant over wax as it won't be able to bond with the paint.

Claying can introduce more swirls so do it only when necessary, maybe 1 or 2 times a year unless your vehicle is exposed to more contamination. Light polish after clay if it needs it, again 1-2 times a year. Use a sealant/wax enhancing wash and quick detailer after you seal to help it last longer. Don't wash too much or you'll be removing wax and sealant and introducing more swirls. I technically wash too much at once a week, more or less, but my car is a rolling product of my work.

If your car is garage kept most of the time or not driven much you'll need to perform harsh maintenance on your paint less frequently. If you're like me and drive about 300 miles a week, in the city, or outside all the time, you'll need to perform more maintenance. It comes with the loss of some of your paint though.

Comment

Working...
                              X