Need any detailing tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need any detailing tips?

I personally have tried just about all of the and I like the Armor All Extreme tire shine spray. It doesn't last forever, maybe a week, but it leave a great shine and easy to apply. I don't mess with the gels cuz if you get them to heavy or light, of uneven it looks like shit.

also just an FYI Meguiars say that you should never use dish washing soap on your car to strip the protective coating on your car. I wouldnt recommend it either unless you are wanting to start from scratch.
    Last edited by Neatong6er; 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM.
    sigpic
    MY PROGRESSION:
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Neatong6er, if you decide to get a Dual Action polisher like the Meg's G110v2 or Porter Cable 7464XP and start with the least aggressive method, I can pretty much guarantee you won't mess up your car unless you bang the polisher into your car. With more agressive methods you do have to watch cutting through paint on corners and edges where the paint is thinner. A true rotary polisher is not for the amateur. You can easily destroy a paint job in a matter of seconds.

If you put your car in the sun or use a high powered spot light, get close to the hood, move your head around and you'll probably see swirls if it's never been polished. You can polish by hand if you strip the sealant/wax to bare clearcoat but it's a tedious process. Claying every other week can be tiresome too. It removes some of your protection so you're pretty much starting over anyway. Take a plastic bag, put over your hand, and rub across a washed car. If it feels bumpy, it probably needs to be clayed. Sealants should last months, not weeks. If it only lasts a few weeks at most you need to do more prep or change sealant. I spent 14 hours on my G6 before getting to sealant and wax. I have not needed to clay in 3 months and probably won't for another 2 or 3. Start with good prep then put on sealant and wax. Wipe down with a detailer every 1-2 days, wash every 1-2 weeks. The wipe downs with detailer and keeping a few layers of carnauba on top should make bug removal a lot easier. If you drive through a swarm or get a huge splat, wipe down with a damp microfiber, take a Bounce dryer sheet and put a little water on it. Rub it over the bugs and they should come right off. Wash the area with car soap, dry, and wipe down with detailer. Apply another coat of wax if you want.

Start with good prep and you'll be able to drastically cut the time it takes to get your car clean and shiny again.

I still like gel tire dressing if the car is not going to be driven much. You've probably noticed it creates more visible sling down white paint than sprays. I like sprays because I can shoot the tire and wheel well at the same time. When it's time to clean the wheel well again I use a dry microfiber to wipe it down, nice and clean with little work, then shoot another quick coat. Another product I'm looking at is TUF SHINE tire clearcoat. It is supposed to last for months.
      CRAB CAB Intake, Orange Dart Overlays, Orange Calipers, VMS 93 Tune
      Soon to come: GT-R exhaust, Orange GXP Overlays

Comment

How about some tips on how to properly clean the inside of my windshield..?? I can never seem to get the swirl marks off!!

- Alpine IVA-w505 7" DVD with built in Blackbird GPS
        - JL 1000.1 Amp
        - JL 12" W7
        - 10% Front Tint, 5% Rear

Comment

Ok ill try to strip down to the clearcoat and start again. I think my dad has a buffer that ill try. What's a good polishing compound to use for beginners?
          sigpic
          MY PROGRESSION:

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Stoner Invisible Glass spray or Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate mixed with distilled water. Just a little on a microfiber cloth and wipe either up/down or left/right. You'll do the opposite on the other side of the glass to determine what side the streaks are on. Wipe clean with a microfiber cloth made for cleaning glass. Some are similar to a waffle weave drying towel.

If you smoke in your car or have let it go a long time it may take some work to get the film off.

If your windshield is like mine and pitted and your insurance pays for windshield replacement with no deductible throw a rock in a sock and whack the windshield. New clean glass.
            Last edited by Romad81; 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

You can use a 1 or 2 step polishing depending on the condition of the clearcoat. Meguiars M105 and 205 work well for a 2 step with a DA polisher or by hand. Just M205 if your paint is in good condition. The actual names are Ultra Cut and Ultra Polish in the Mirror Glaze line. Or the Meguiar's Microfiber Correction System on the DA. This is what I use most of the time. You can also try Swirl-X or Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish by hand.
              Last edited by Romad81; 05-10-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Romad81 View Post
                Stoner Invisible Glass spray or Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate mixed with distilled water. Just a little on a microfiber cloth and wipe either up/down or left/right. You'll do the opposite on the other side of the glass to determine what side the streaks are on. Wipe clean with a microfiber cloth made for cleaning glass. Some are similar to a waffle weave drying towel.

If you smoke in your car or have let it go a long time it may take some work to get the film off.
                I've tried using the Stoner Invisible Glass spray - and I still had streaks on the inside of the windshield. I could especially see them at night time. I have been using the circle technique - not the up/down or left/right as you suggested. Perhaps I'll give that a try. Thanks a lot

- Alpine IVA-w505 7" DVD with built in Blackbird GPS
                - JL 1000.1 Amp
                - JL 12" W7
                - 10% Front Tint, 5% Rear

Comment

Clean it a few times and just use a little cleaner. Make sure you go over it each time with a clean dry glass towel. Don't do it when the windshield is warm or hot. It'll definitely leave streaks.

Comment

this my friend - is an understatement haha! I smoke cigarettes and cigars in my car and when I clean the windows, aside from ruining the towel w the tar I can tell a night and day different between the side I've cleaned and the side I have not. I use the stoner invisible glass and usually use 4 applications to get it 'invisible' - my wife who doesn't smoke, 1 or 2 coats and its perfect.
                    Semper Fi - David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays

Comment

Well my dad has some ultimate compound that he uses for his z28. I'll give that a try.
                      sigpic
                      MY PROGRESSION:

Comment

See how the compound works by itself. It may have a little haze or leave some fine swirls so be prepared to go to Ultimate Polish to take out the rest if you want to go that far.

Comment

I always mixed water, dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and ammonia (the directions were on the back of the ammonia bottle) together and used that to clean the inside of my windshield. It leaves it looking damn amazing.
                          Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LED map/dome/mirror/trunk/license/reverse lights

Comment

Be careful with the ammonia. It should be fine to use on the windshield. However it should never be used on window tint or get it on anything but glass. If you happen to get it on the dash or other trim, wipe it off immediately with a damp cloth and reapply your interior dressing.

Comment

Have you ever used the Dodo Juice Blue velvet? I have a black car and was wondering if it would be superior to Meguiar's liquid Gold?

Comment

Haven't used Blue Velvet but I do use some other Dodo Juice waxes and Meg's Gold liquid occasionally. I prefer the Dodo Juice for my white vehicles and I'm sure a dark vehicle specific like Blue Velvet would do wonders for your car. I haven't waxed mine in over a month due to time and I have no problems with durability or gloss using White Diamond. It really comes dowm to what you like though. Try a panel pot of Blue Velvet and do one side of your hood with that. Do the other side with Gold and see which you like better and get the best durability out of.

Comment

Working...
                                X