Looking to buy a goat.... tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a goat.... tips?

I am looking to buy a GTO as a toy car soon - not into heavy modding, I want a fun weekend car and something to keep out of the rain. Aside from the 04 vs 05+ argument, what other tips do you have? I am aiming for low # of owners and proper maintenance of course. I am not necessarily scared of miles as long as everything appears to have been well cared for. Seems like I can get one around $10-12k if I am ok with over 50k miles - any issues once you get over this mileage point with the GTO's?

Thanks all!
    See my progression here http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20759

Tint, drilled rotors, GM body kit

Have a GM Body Kit? Join the club!http://www.g6performance.com/forum/group.php?groupid=19

Re: Looking to buy a goat.... tips?

$10-12k = 2004 with 80,000mi+. 2004 w/ 50k = $14,000ish. 2005 w/ 50k = $17,000.

Number of owners means crap. One owner is enough to ruin it. Carefully inspect it to see if it was taken care of and maintainance records. Number of miles reflects with that as well.
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

i over paid for mine ..... 75k for 17,500 but my 06 is clean and a 6 speed car , which is usually alittle more than the autos . Also if you can try to get a car that comes with the factory 18s, seems to be a little bit more rare, plus i feel like it looks better. Difference between the 2:
      17s:

18s:

Btw a common thing that needs to be changed in this car as far as maintenance is concerned is that the rear springs go bad and the radius rod bushings .If you have any more questions let me know
      2006 GTO
      Bolt-ons

http://www.novastreetscene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blackjak View Post
        i over paid for mine ..... 75k for 17,500
        WOWOWOWOWOWWOWOWOWOWWOWOW.

Like woody said cars can be had at many different prices/ages/and level of care but you have to be that judge.

HONESTLY. I recommend looking on LS1GTO.com check out some that are stock and some that are modded. a H/C/I goat can be had at the price of a used one that may have been whaled on by someone.

if i could go back in time, i would buy a pre-setup GTO off LS1GTO that was already cammed and go from there.

EDIT: and I laughed at your " i dont want to mod it" trust me my friend....you will. 350hp seems fast, then you get adjusted, then you add about 40 and 390 seems slow. before you know it you cant wait to have above 4,5,600 hp.... trust me, its an addiction ESPECIALLY with such a bountiful aftermarket like the GTO has.
        sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

the mod bug will really hit you when you hear and see another GTO and you like the way it sounds or looks then you will want to do that to yours . I personally would watch out for modded cars , i only say that because you never know who did the work and how good they did it .
          2006 GTO
          Bolt-ons

http://www.novastreetscene.com

Comment

the mod bug will really hit you when you hear and see another GTO and you like the way it sounds or looks then you will want to do that to yours . I personally would watch out for modded cars , i only say that because you never know who did the work and how good they did it .
            Its a toy car!!
            get the cheapest good running one you can find.
            also, check your capabilities in wrenching if you decide to go this route. Ex, if you are an expert or know how to do bodywork, a slightly damaged bunper or door will help lowering the price and you can work on it, etc...

Now, if you where purchasing for a daily driver, where reliability is top concern, all the checks and verifications applies.

Comment

just know who you are buying from to see their knowledge level/what shop did the work and it is really not scary at all. i know RIGHT NOW id buy cars from half the people on there. id say 50% know EXACTLY what they are doing and another 25% just have a shop do all their work. the other 25%....avoid haha
              sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Working...
              X