improving fuel mileage on a 3.9L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: improving fuel mileage on a 3.9L

Removing the intake res and putting in the crabs boosted it a bit for me. Stock avg was about 20 with the changes it avgs 21 to 22 now. I tried using the old tornado fuel saver from my grand am but it caused me to throw cels with the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by dwightikans View Post
      maybe it's because you have the coupe and it weighs less? that's just my guess.

i'll look around for some things to do.

i'm just 17 and i mainly drive to school and back, but one night with my gf is 50 miles, and we usually hang out twice a week. that's what sucks it down :P
      the coupe weighs more than the sedan actually. also, pooners you are right, the 3.9 is a guzzler for sure. the ol lady's 05 3.5 avgs between 27-32 all day long without even trying. our trip to st louis in her car, the tank avg was 37 mpg
      sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Originally posted by BobcatG6 View Post
        Removing the intake res and putting in the crabs boosted it a bit for me. Stock avg was about 20 with the changes it avgs 21 to 22 now. I tried using the old tornado fuel saver from my grand am but it caused me to throw cels with the intake.
        because it's crap.

also to get good gas mileage, just get to 4th as gently as possible and get your torque converter to lock up.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGTP View Post
          the coupe weighs more than the sedan actually. also, pooners you are right, the 3.9 is a guzzler for sure. the ol lady's 05 3.5 avgs between 27-32 all day long without even trying. our trip to st louis in her car, the tank avg was 37 mpg
          Dang 37???? I got an 08 3.5L and MAX I can get is 33 but it always averages down to 32, what speed are you going at?

Current Mods
          -------------
          G6 Black on Red Mats
          Tint: Front 20%/Rear 15%
          Raptor H.I.D. kit 5000k Fogs
          Raptor H.I.D. kit 4500k Lows
          Interior red L.E.D.
          1000W Speaker & Amp
          Crabs Option 3
          Painted Calipers Red
          Dual Custom Exhaust
          Halo Angel Eyes

Upcoming Mods
          ---------------
          Need Ideas

Comment

I have a gtp coupe as well with the 6sp manual and average close to 24mpg wth my mods, but most of my driving is on the highway.
            Mods: Crabs CAB w/ FPU, GT-R Exhaust, Racingline Strut Tower Bar, KYB schock/struts, EBC Rotors w/ ceramic pads, Aftermarket Sound System

Comment

Originally posted by Pr0cl1v1ty View Post
              Dang 37???? I got an 08 3.5L and MAX I can get is 33 but it always averages down to 32, what speed are you going at?
              you have different gears if im not mistaken (my trip was with 05 v6 trim) and that the motor on my 05 is an LX9 to your LZ4. different motors. as you have VVT and i do not. that trips avg speed was between 60-65
              sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

my last tank I calculated it by hand and got 24.98 mpg on my 06 GTP.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

I have an 07 gtp and drove it to chicago the otherday and got 29 mpg running almost 90 mph and 10% of that was city driving.

Comment

Surprisingly, that tornado thing did work on my 98 GA but the newer tech with the G6 didn't like it. However the G6 does like to run on cruise control, seems to only gain miles.

Comment

Originally posted by BL07GTP View Post
                      I have an 07 gtp and drove it to chicago the otherday and got 29 mpg running almost 90 mph and 10% of that was city driving.
                      i've got 3 CEL codes, P0036, P0054, and P0449. could these cause it?

what could i do to fix those?

Comment

P0036- Heated Oxygen Sensor/Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
                        P0054- Heated Oxygen Sensor/Heater Resistance (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
                        P0449- Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/ Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

Sounds like you need to go see the dealer or a trusted mechanic
                        Last edited by snowmanG6; 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                        Originally posted by ahuhn
                        so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by 06 6SPD View Post
                          I have an 06 GTP couple 6 speed. I get great mileage on the highway (high 20's low 30's) but I think I can attribute that to the LONG 6th gear. 120 KPH is just 2100 RPM.

I have intake, exhaust and tune though.
                          mine is all stock and i get about 23-24 mpg with my everyday driving and when i went on the long drives to see my ex in AL i got 30ish on pure highway...i have the 6 speed though and that seems to be the big difference here

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6 View Post
                            P0036- Heated Oxygen Sensor/Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
                            P0054- Heated Oxygen Sensor/Heater Resistance (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
                            P0449- Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/ Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

Sounds like you need to go see the dealer or a trusted mechanic
                            do you know of how to fix those things? it's making my fuel mileage go to crap

Comment

Originally posted by dwightikans View Post
                              do you know of how to fix those things? it's making my fuel mileage go to crap
                              You can fix it by re-reading what he said...

Current Mods
                              -------------
                              G6 Black on Red Mats
                              Tint: Front 20%/Rear 15%
                              Raptor H.I.D. kit 5000k Fogs
                              Raptor H.I.D. kit 4500k Lows
                              Interior red L.E.D.
                              1000W Speaker & Amp
                              Crabs Option 3
                              Painted Calipers Red
                              Dual Custom Exhaust
                              Halo Angel Eyes

Upcoming Mods
                              ---------------
                              Need Ideas

Comment

well i was hoping that someone had had the same problem before and fixed it at home to save a couple hundred dollars, i want that to be my last option.

Comment

Working...
                                X