Eagle Eyes Dual CCFL Halo Projector Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Eagle Eyes Dual CCFL Halo Projector Headlights

so I have narrowed my problem down to the harness for the HID. I am thinking of installing the HID harness kit from DDM. I am assuming (without talking to them) that it connects the two HIDs then runs directly to the battery for the power and ground? Perhaps it just does one and I have to purchase two kits. In either case I am hoping it resolves the problem once and for all.

edit: I verified via their install guide in the download section that my above assumption is correct. This bypasses power/ground from the harness and connects directly to the battery and then back to the ballast. I went ahead and ordered it. After shipping it was less then $30. Thinking of doing the same for the halos and LEDs but so far they are holding up just fine. I may have to splice it into the harness for the eagle eyes but I am fine with that if it helps resolve the problem.

Last edited by justeric78; 12-24-2012, 08:01 PM.
    2008 G6 GXP 3.6L Coupe - Street Edition - Black

Mods: All the usual suspects

Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by justeric78 View Post
      so I have narrowed my problem down to the harness for the HID. I am thinking of installing the HID harness kit from DDM. I am assuming (without talking to them) that it connects the two HIDs then runs directly to the battery for the power and ground? Perhaps it just does one and I have to purchase two kits. In either case I am hoping it resolves the problem once and for all.

edit: I verified via their install guide in the download section that my above assumption is correct. This bypasses power/ground from the harness and connects directly to the battery and then back to the ballast. I went ahead and ordered it. After shipping it was less then $30. Thinking of doing the same for the halos and LEDs but so far they are holding up just fine. I may have to splice it into the harness for the eagle eyes but I am fine with that if it helps resolve the problem.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness
      word of advice, i blew the DDM tuning harness. Re-wire the fuse part of the red wire with a strong fuse (I have a 30 amp) and use the those O[]O connectors for each side of the fuse. You will see that the DDM tuning fuse box is made of plastic and it will melt so be aware.
      Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Do you recommend getting a different one then? I found a different one online that gave like 40 amps I believe.

Progression Thread

Comment

The DDM tuning one just is "Made in China" if you know what I mean by this... then yes buy a better "quality" one if possible or just make your own. I just cut the red wires and but those O_O connector on each red wire and put the fuse legs into each one and then used heavy-duty water proof electrical tap and made my own fuse connector. So far it's been awesome.
          Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Comment

I called to cancel it this am but it was already packaged they said so I would have to refuse and send back if I did not want it. I noticed though that stock the lights are running on 10 amp fuses fine so I wonder why you had problems. I guess I will see when I get it. Thanks for the input, I guess there will not be any surprises at least. I also thought about it after the fact that this would not even really fix the problem since it still gets signal from the stock harness so I am just back to swapping that thing out. If there is a grounding problem though connecting directly to the cars ground should resolve that. I will just swap the factory harness when I put this in and swap in the ddm tuning HIDs. I think I will keep the ballasts I have in there since it has not given me any trouble and hold onto these ballasts as a backup. The HIDs I have are different colors

Progression Thread

Comment

I called to cancel it this am but it was already packaged they said so I would have to refuse and send back if I did not want it. I noticed though that stock the lights are running on 10 amp fuses fine so I wonder why you had problems. I guess I will see when I get it. Thanks for the input, I guess there will not be any surprises at least. I also thought about it after the fact that this would not even really fix the problem since it still gets signal from the stock harness so I am just back to swapping that thing out. If there is a grounding problem though connecting directly to the cars ground should resolve that. I will just swap the factory harness when I put this in and swap in the ddm tuning HIDs. I think I will keep the ballasts I have in there since it has not given me any trouble and hold onto these ballasts as a backup. The HIDs I have are different colors
              you are correct. I only hook into the stock wiring for the on/off switch wire everything else is on it's own independent wiring system. which leads me to believe the reason for my problems is the ground isn't getting back to the battery quick enough. I'm always blowing relays or harnesses and 90% of the time its the ground on the relay and harness that either melts, corrodes or the relay/harness die.

Comment

I've been running HIDs in the Torrent with a relay for the high/lows (bixenon) and for fogs for over 3 years now (ebay kit) and the only problem is water infiltration in one of the balast's connector because of the way I installed it. It's weird you guys are having all those problems with them.
                COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
                Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

My problems only started when I tried to start weatherproofing them as water kept blowing the halo inverter. After taking all the tape off they have been working fine for me now. I will just cake more liquid electrical tape on them and stop trying to tape the harness up on either side. I have the extra parts I ordered sitting here so if I need to I will start swapping stuff out.

If you are reading this convo and on the fence about getting EE do not let this sway you as they are still by far my favorite appearance mod. You just may have to screw with them to get to where you want to be. If they were not so damn beautiful i would not put this work into them so that says something about the lights.

Progression Thread

Comment

My problems only started when I tried to start weatherproofing them as water kept blowing the halo inverter. After taking all the tape off they have been working fine for me now. I will just cake more liquid electrical tape on them and stop trying to tape the harness up on either side. I have the extra parts I ordered sitting here so if I need to I will start swapping stuff out.

If you are reading this convo and on the fence about getting EE do not let this sway you as they are still by far my favorite appearance mod. You just may have to screw with them to get to where you want to be. If they were not so damn beautiful i would not put this work into them so that says something about the lights.

have to tried velcroing the harness and ballast? - I find velcro works great for the ballasts.

Comment

Ok so my set is due to be delivered at some point today, couple quick questions. It sounds like I should put some liquid electrical tape on the backside of the connectors on the Eagle Eyes, can I find that at any auto parts store? It also sounds like I should toss on some wax on them to cut down the chances of the surface flaking right? Should I also put some silicon around the seams to be proactive or wait and see if any issues arise? My HIDs just got drop shipped from China so I have a long wait til they come in so I am gonna toss these on the car with the regular bulbs for now.
                      2005 G6 GT
                      My Progression Thread

Current Mods: Debadged, Arrow badges blacked out, Chrome grill surrounds blacked out, Grand Am LED 3rd brake light mod, Black Eagle Eye projectors, Black recessed lower grills, Red LED underdash/seat lighting, Redline Tuning Elite hood struts, Racingline STB, CRABS Option 3, 6k DDM Tuning HID lows, Color match interior trim

Mods on the way: 6k DDM Tuning HID fogs

Future Plans: Plastidip stock GT rims, Painted engine cover

Comment

Liquid electrical tape you can get at a hardware store like home depot. I have completely stopped having any issues by putting this on the back of both sides of the harness. Car side and headlight side. Before you do the tape though i recommend getting some die electrical grease into the wiring ports in the harness as extra protection. Further, i used silicone on the housing itself, this is extremely important. After the silicone dries i go back over the top with the liquid electrical tape on the housing for extra protection and it also looks better then the clear silicone does. With all of that you should be good. whatever you do though do not bundle up the wires up close together and tape them up. The shielding on the wires suck and you will have problems with the HIDs and halos due to the resistance traveling between wires i assume. Keep the wires separated when putting liquid electrical tape.

Progression Thread

Comment

I'm not sure if that was answered before but I noticed that the EE also use big twist caps in the back like the stock ones have. Are they swappable? I'm asking because since I've already made holes in my stock ones for the HIDs I wouldn't have to on these ones
                          COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).

Comment

I have never tried to be honest but I would imagine they would be.

Progression Thread

Comment

So I missed a necessary post to read early in this thread. It appears the low beams in these are H7 bulbs and not the H11's the stock lights use. I ordered 2 sets of the H11 HIDs, one for lows and one for fogs. I'm assuming I will need to order another set with the H7 bulbs that I can use in these lights correct?
                              2005 G6 GT
                              My Progression Thread

Current Mods: Debadged, Arrow badges blacked out, Chrome grill surrounds blacked out, Grand Am LED 3rd brake light mod, Black Eagle Eye projectors, Black recessed lower grills, Red LED underdash/seat lighting, Redline Tuning Elite hood struts, Racingline STB, CRABS Option 3, 6k DDM Tuning HID lows, Color match interior trim

Mods on the way: 6k DDM Tuning HID fogs

Future Plans: Plastidip stock GT rims, Painted engine cover

Comment

Originally posted by chazde3 View Post
                                So I missed a necessary post to read early in this thread. It appears the low beams in these are H7 bulbs and not the H11's the stock lights use. I ordered 2 sets of the H11 HIDs, one for lows and one for fogs. I'm assuming I will need to order another set with the H7 bulbs that I can use in these lights correct?
                                That is correct. You can always order the H7 bulbs only (not the ballasts) and keep the extra H11 as spares
                                COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6

Comment

Working...
                                X