Parking my car for winter any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking my car for winter any tips?

Hey as the title says I've decided I'm going to park my car in my garage for 3 months: January, February and March. I came to this decision because of a few reasons I live in Canada an we're expected to get a good amount of snow here, the tires on my car are all seasons and 18's and to add to that just about at the end of their life and I don't want to spend the money on new ones, and my last reason I pay out of my a__ for insurance so parking it for 3 months and suspending the insurance will save me quite a bit of money that I can hopefully put into mods once April rolls around lol

But back to the question Because I've never left a car undriven for so long, is there anything I should know? Like should the engine still be turned on once a week or just any maintenance I should be performing while it's parked for the 3 months?
    Last edited by xlemosx; 11-30-2010, 08:06 AM.
    Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Re: Parking my car for winter any tips?

Guys that store their GTO's for the winter get a battery tender. However if it's just for 3mo, just start it up every other week for 5 minutes and you're good. If it's heated garage, just once a month if that even is fine.

Check it for mice nests when you start it back up 3mo from then too. Those buggers will get into anything. Buddy's Jeep caught fire after it was sitting for just 2 weeks and a mouse made a nest that caught fire.
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

I agree with WBM. I think you may also want to roll the car a bit to avoid flat spots on those lovely tires. Give it a hug once in a while too.
      Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
      Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
      Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

Alright sounds good thanks for your input guys
        Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

I am doing the same thing. I have it in my buddies garage. Just start it every two weeks, maybe keep it dusted with a cali duster. I am going to cover it to keep it safer.

And lastly, use the down time to do mods that you couldnt bc you couldnt have the car down for more than 1 night.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Once we sell my Grandpa's Miata I'll be able to park the GTO in his former garage space. Be more helpful next year once I have a beater.
            2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
            Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
            2005 CGM GTO.
            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Well part of the plan is to save money lol so spending money modding her during that time would be a little counter productive lol

Comment

Just do little stuff like painting things. Thats cheap. I am going to do my headlights. That way I can have them out for several days and let them fully dry before I put them together.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Working...
                X