Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Altered6 Progressions - Baer Cobalt 13" Brakes

I gotta see those vette wheels!
    Techno gray 07 G6 GT Sedan 20% tint, 6000K HID's, red LED floor lights, intake resonator removal, LED interior and reverse lights, debadged rear dart, gm emblem and pontiac emblem, and black emblem overlays.

Build thread: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24478

Comment

Really appreciate the compliments.
      Pics are in the works.
      Current Mods
      245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
      Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Well, decided to jump on the Koni band wagon established by Shibby and DMage.
        Same old story different mod as I purchased these a year ago when they were 25% off from the TireRack and they have been hiding under dust in the garage ever since.
        The rear shocks are a simple remove, replace and test drive.

The front struts are in the works...

Current Mods
        245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...

Comment

Looks good! What do you have them adjusted to and hows the ride? I found that somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 from full soft is the sweet spot for the rear
          Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
            Looks good! What do you have them adjusted to and hows the ride? I found that somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 from full soft is the sweet spot for the rear

Thanks Shibby. Good to know how you guys have them adjusted.

I verified that mine were set on the mildest setting and that's how they are installed. So far I have spent very limited time driving the car since the installation but can foresee staying with the mildest setting until I get used to the significantly different feeling of the Koni's or more likely until I get the front struts done and proceed from there.

I do like that the bounce inherent with Eibach springs combined with OEM style shocks/struts is completely gone with the Koni's.
            Current Mods

Comment

Where are the pics with the Vette wheels?! Lol
              GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
              2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Plasti-dipped Emblems | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABs Opt. 3 + FPU | OBX Exhaust | Eibach Springs |

Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | IMOLA RED | 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by bjohnsong6 View Post
                Where are the pics with the Vette wheels?! Lol

Well...

Here's one.

And another.

Oh! And peek-a-boo, what's that in the upper left corner reflecting Koni yellow?! LOL!

Seriously, I really am working on them, so stay tuned.
                Current Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Altered6 View Post
                  Thanks Shibby. Good to know how you guys have them adjusted.

I verified that mine were set on the mildest setting and that's how they are installed. So far I have spent very limited time driving the car since the installation but can foresee staying with the mildest setting until I get used to the significantly different feeling of the Koni's or more likely until I get the front struts done and proceed from there.

I do like that the bounce inherent with Eibach springs combined with OEM style shocks/struts is completely gone with the Koni's.
                  Yeah they're awesome, pretty much the single biggest improvement for the suspension, completely changes the feel of the car. You really do need the stiffer rebound damping to keep everything under control if you have a stiffer spring... So Eibachs+Konis=Awesome!
                  Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

How much did the Koni conversion cost?
                    GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
                    2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Plasti-dipped Emblems | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABs Opt. 3 + FPU | OBX Exhaust | Eibach Springs |

Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | IMOLA RED | 6MT

Comment

Depends, just gotta shop around. I got all the Koni's on sale from TireRack during the summer sale last year. So like $500something for the dampers, and I already had the springs. Still the whole thing costs less than coilovers, and its better quality and handles better.

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by bjohnsong6 View Post
                        How much did the Koni conversion cost?

If anyone is considering purchasing Koni’s the 25% off sale has been extended to the end of August.
                        Current Mods

Comment

Warmer weather is finally here bringing with it the opportunity to cross a couple more things off the To Do list.
                          For spark plugs I chose Bosch Iridiums from RockAuto because at the time of purchase they were the only maker of plugs for the LZ4 engine that had Iridium in the ground strap, too.
                          From previous experience I'm a big fan of MSD products performance and quality.
                          While overkill for the G6 I chose the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor universal wire set #31193. For anyone interested they are also available in red.
                          Also purchased an OEM replacement set of spark plug wires made by Parts Master from RockAuto at a close out price of $15 to scavenge the boots that fit on the coil pack end. Kingsborne supplied two different styles of wire terminals to fit the the MSD wires properly to the coils. After a trial fitting I went with option two and used the terminal that worked with the OEM style boots rather than the terminals that worked best with the MSD supplied boots.

A couple helpful tips:
                          If going with a universal plug wire set, regardless of manufacturer, a spray can of silicon lube and a tube of dielectric grease will make the process much easier.
                          To make an old set of plug wires look new again or to clean up a newly installed set, good old hand cleaner (without pumice) on a rag works wonders.

Current Mods

Comment

niceeeeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by G6KinG19 View Post
                              niceeeeeeeee

Hey, thanks!
                              Current Mods

Comment

It's been a long time coming and at long, long last I installed the Koni Sport strut inserts. I was not expecting, from high performance struts, such a plush, cushy ride even on the atrociously rough road surfaces around town and on the highways where I live. So far they are set to their softest setting and combined with Eibachs the ride comfort is superior to the out going OEM struts and Eibachs. I replaced all of the strut related components as well from the strut mounts, to the spring seats, to the spring insulators, to the sway bar end links, etc with Moogs, so perhaps that is contributing to the unexpected comfy ride and this may change some as all the new components settle over time.

I plan to keep the struts set at full soft for the next while or until I feel a change or until I can no longer resist the urge to not set them at the stiffest setting to see what happens.

First off, I took lotsa pictures to fully document the Koni install, unfortunately, due to technical difficulties the majority were lost. The best tutorials I found are on YouTube, here's the link to Koni's own Cut-A-Strut video.

The procedure is a lot easier than it sounds and if you use the recommended tools even easier.

I used this pipe cutter made by Lisle. It left a nice cut that required minimal finishing. This is the only hand tool I would use for this job, otherwise, be kind to yourself and either purchase, borrow or rent one of the power tools suggested in Koni's instructions.

Completed strut assemblies ready for installation.

If you're looking for increased ride control and handling performance these are the ticket and I would highly recommend them for any one rolling on lowering springs regardless of manufacturer or drop.
                                Current Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X