Painting interior trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting interior trim

I have looked just about everywhere, and can't find two similar detailed how-tos on how to paint interior trim. Most say to sand it down, then put primer/adhesive promoter, then paint it.

That is how far I've got, and so far it looks pretty good. But after now, I have no idea what to do. Some say to wet sand it then clear coat, then wet sand the clear coat. Other say just to spray a few coats of clear coat then you're done.

So anyone that has painted theirs, what did you do after your last coat of paint/before clear coat?
    RIP 2007 Black G6 GT Coupe - you will be missed

"The H is silent."

Re: Painting interior trim

Let dry for a day or two and wet sand while constantly keeping the sandpaper soaked. Don't get too crazy on the edges because you can easily take the paint off and you'll have to start again. Clear coat...and then I went an extra step. 1) I used Mcguiars ultimate compound (x2 application), Mcguiars plastic-x(x2) and Mcguiars deep carnauba wax(x1). It helps to get the last little bumps out but also smooths out the clear and makes it shiny and super smooth. Your time and patience will pay off even though I know you are dying to reinstall.
    Finished Mods: 15% window tint, Spyder headlights, Custom Interior Paint, CRABS CAI w/FPU, MPD Hood(Color Matched), Front Bumper Chrome painted Flat Black, Carbon Fiber badge overlays.

Future Mods: Lowering Springs, MMI's, Strut Bar, GT-R Exhaust, 93 Octane Tune, MPD Spoiler, Rims & Tires(TBD)

Comment

Make sure you do all your painting in a nice dry area, this will help keep the bumps, splotches and orange peel look to a minimum. Use Krylon or another plastic adhesive paint for best results. Use a wet sanding paper with a high grit number for smoothing (1000 or higher more than likely) as it will even out but not remove a lot of material. And like Zillmerm said watch your edges, high curved areas and corners for burn through as you sand. Take your time, read the directions for dry times and once you prep a piece for painting, hands off till its sprayed. Hand oils leave marks very easily

Comment

Alright well I wet sanded it with 1000 grit, very lightly, and it turned out with like a spotty hazy look all over it. Like this v

I then sprayed another coat of paint on and tried again and it turned out the same way.

"The H is silent."

Comment

Eh, you shoulda stoned them like this V V V It was less work and has held now for 2 yrs. I just took a few duplicolor prep wipes and wiped them, then primer, then black paint, then added stone paint, and 2 coats of non glossy clear for protection. And yes the gray paint is the primer.

Just messin with ya!!! ;-)
          Last edited by hnda8n; 10-12-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Did you sand before hand to scuff it up a bit? And did you shake the can for the appropriate amount of time the directions said? I used Krylon Fusion(specially made for plastics) and mine came out great. You can get Krylon basically anywhere...walmart, auto stores, hardware stores....
            Finished Mods: 15% window tint, Spyder headlights, Custom Interior Paint, CRABS CAI w/FPU, MPD Hood(Color Matched), Front Bumper Chrome painted Flat Black, Carbon Fiber badge overlays.

Future Mods: Lowering Springs, MMI's, Strut Bar, GT-R Exhaust, 93 Octane Tune, MPD Spoiler, Rims & Tires(TBD)

Comment

Originally posted by zillmerm View Post
              Did you sand before hand to scuff it up a bit? And did you shake the can for the appropriate amount of time the directions said? I used Krylon Fusion(specially made for plastics) and mine came out great. You can get Krylon basically anywhere...walmart, auto stores, hardware stores....
              Yeah, and I used the Dupli-color exact match stuff with Dupli-color adhesive promoter/primer under that.

"The H is silent."

Comment

Hmmm, not sure what could have happened since I am no paint expert, but I used some paint I bought that was an exact match to my car and it cracked all over the place. I resanded and used Krylon with no problems...not sure if this helps. I thought about getting that exact match stuff but I wasn't sure how it'd take to plastic.

Comment

It says use for vehicle trim on it, so I figured it would work, but I used adhesive promoter just in case.

Did you put another coat of paint on then clear coat or did you just clear coat after wet sanding?

And when you clear coated, did you wet sand the clear coat?

"The H is silent."

Comment

Originally posted by cHrewone View Post
                    It says use for vehicle trim on it, so I figured it would work, but I used adhesive promoter just in case.

Did you put another coat of paint on then clear coat or did you just clear coat after wet sanding?

And when you clear coated, did you wet sand the clear coat?
                    What I did was I put like 3 coats of paint on and completely let it dry, then I gently wetsanded with 2000 grit. After that was done I clear coated with like 4 coats and let that dry and then I did the steps with the compound, plastic x, and carnauba wax. I didn't sand the clear.

Comment

Alright, I think I might just spray another coat of paint on, then clear coat without wet sanding it, then try the meguiers stuff.

"The H is silent."

Comment

the reason your wet sanding is to get out any of the imperfections, like dimples, fish eyes, or orange peel. once you have your clearcoat nice and smooth it will look cloudy until you follow the directions given above for buffing it to a nice shiney finish.
                        2007 G6 GT

Debadged, CF Overlays, 5% Tint, Tinted Tails, Upper And Lower Recessed Grilles, Eibach Lowering Springs, Painted Calipers, Cross Drilled And Slotted Rotors, K&N CAI W/ CRABS, Tiger Crab, GTR Exhaust, WAMS Tune, Racingline STB, Grounding Kit, and Street MMI's, Redline Quicklifts, Eagle Eye Halo Headlights, Interior LED's, 5K HID'S Lows / Fogs

Comment

Working...
                        X