Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look in purchasing a used G8?

Any pointers?
    Although the car is quite brand new, what are the things to look for?

Re: What to look in purchasing a used G8?

I know GM had dealers flash the trans.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

^flash the trans why? It HAD issues or it was too badass so they had to detune it a bit?
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963 View Post
        ^flash the trans why? It HAD issues or it was too badass so they had to detune it a bit?
        Because the 6spd auto shift points SUCK. My friends G8 GT is a year old now and had his in the dealership like 6 times for goofy 6spd auto shifting. They flashed it each time and never still was right. The service manager pulled him aside and said unfortianlly our hand are tied behind out back on this and we cant do anything on modding the factory system. Only way you will get it shift better is find an after market company and have them retune the tranny. He did a a PCM tune/ tranny tune, V-ram, and a heat sink relocate, GXP mufflers. Its MUCH better now but still not perfect. He had to take it back like twice to the tunner for him to still clean up the tranny shifts. He now only has DOD kicking in if the car is in 5th or 6th gear and that helped out a ton too. As from the factory I belive the tranny wants to go to highest possible gear as fast as it can and once it hits 3rd gear it kicks on DOD.
        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
        Gotta have it Green color
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack
        GT500 track pack differential cover
        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP View Post
          Any pointers?
          Although the car is quite brand new, what are the things to look for?
          The 08s have the "Atari" gadges that alot of people hated in the G8s as they literly look like they are from an 80s Atari system. In 09 GM removed the "Atari" gadges from the drive cluster. I belive the "Atari" gadges where oil PSI, battery volts stuff like that. Other then that 09s same as 08s. Now non come with a spare tire. My friend had to buy a tire by getting lucky with a guy on the G8 board. You cant use standard rims like the Camaros as they arent the same bolt pattern belive it or not, as the G8 was built in Alstralia the bolt pattern is a goofy hard to find size. And no dog-nut if you blow a tire in the side wall your stuck for a tow as all GM gives you is an air compersor and slim. The V6s have a smaller rim and cant fit on the V8s due to break caliper sizes. The V6 not having the 3.6L DI engine has you pegged at a 7.2-7.5 0-60 time since the car is so heavy.

2013 Mustang GT
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Originally posted by dre256 View Post
            The 08s have the "Atari" gadges that alot of people hated in the G8s as they literly look like they are from an 80s Atari system. In 09 GM removed the "Atari" gadges from the drive cluster. I belive the "Atari" gadges where oil PSI, battery volts stuff like that. Other then that 09s same as 08s. Now non come with a spare tire. My friend had to buy a tire by getting lucky with a guy on the G8 board. You cant use standard rims like the Camaros as they arent the same bolt pattern belive it or not, as the G8 was built in Alstralia the bolt pattern is a goofy hard to find size. And no dog-nut if you blow a tire in the side wall your stuck for a tow as all GM gives you is an air compersor and slim. The V6s have a smaller rim and cant fit on the V8s due to break caliper sizes. The V6 not having the 3.6L DI engine has you pegged at a 7.2-7.5 0-60 time since the car is so heavy.
            there's a guy on this forum with camaro wheels on his g8.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by zlatsky View Post
              there's a guy on this forum with camaro wheels on his g8.
              As far as I was told the G8 bolt patern was diffrent from the Camaros

2013 Mustang GT
              Brembo brake package
              420 HP 5.0L
              Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

no sir.both are 5x120. g8 and camaro share the same hubs, just the camaros are aluminum to save weight.
                the g8 by far is an awesome car.
                when you go see it, have the dealer put it on a lift and make sure the bottom of the car has not been bottomed out and all parts have gm or holden on them.
                also make sure that all service calls have been taken care of.
                if you can get the previous owner like i did, he told me everything as he was the only owner.
                i paid 24,500 for a loaded gt with premium package, no sunroof with 28,000 miles stock with a flawless interior and exterior
                stock with camaro brembo brakes

now with camaro wheels

i doing a non dod cam soon too after my headers
                2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
                2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
                613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
                11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
                New numbers coming soon........

Comment

Nice!!

Any special issues with these cars, yet?
                  I dont plan to do crazy numbers, just a more confortable replacement for the 6. Maybe a set headers and exhaust with an intake and a tune, and if $$ if hand, some brake upgrades but thats it.
                  How is the MPG? it is better compared to the 3.9?

Comment

My friend running around town before the PCM tune or after the tune he is at 14.8 on average. Wosrt I have ever heard him say was beating the car hard and got like 13.5-ish. Open road on a vacation from NJ to the Great Lakes he has returned with his wife and two kids in the vechile he told me around 24 MPG a tad higher a tad lower. But yes he sees like a 10 MPG swings on the car lol.

My buddy that that has the car is in his upper 40s has owned several mustangs GTs, thunderbird 5.0L and turbo coupes, Ford Pickup with the V10, Ford Explores, and still has his first car a mid 70 worked trans am that runs 11s and he said by far the G8 GT is his favorite. With the PCM tune, TCM, V-Ram, and heat sink relocate kit, and GXP mufflers is plenty on the car. Only thing he didnt like on the car was the wheel lugs lol, he bought himself a new set of wheel lugs 2nd day he owned it lol.

2013 Mustang GT
                    Brembo brake package
                    420 HP 5.0L
                    Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

ive got over 32mpg on the highway at 72mph, the highest i have seen is 38mpg.
                      in the city i drive pretty aggressive and average 14-19.
                      my goal with the car is close to 500rwhp after my dod delete cam swap at the beginning of next year.
                      whichever color you get, as long as its a gt and its well maintained, you wont be dissappointed.
                      2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
                      11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft

Comment

have the details
                        12k 2009 G8 GT silver no sunroof
                        Asking price ....... hope you are seated....28,900!

I will try to lowe the price, lets say down to 25,000...
                        Will keep you posted

Comment

wow that price is ridiculous IMO!
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

i found an 09 g8 gt in white here locally last week with 14K on it, 30 grand or around there, they wanna see my g6 cause i said i wanna swap
                            09 GT Coupe in Techno Grey, lowered on eibachs, debadged, duplicolor red calipers, Full CRABS setup, silver CRAB stickers in my coupe windows +20HP G6Performance.com decals ,carbon fibre inlays

Comment

g8 prices for used cars are the same as if they were new. they are holding value quite well
                              11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft

Comment

Working...
                              X