No announcement yet.

What to look in purchasing a used G8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to look in purchasing a used G8?

Originally posted by Thebeast View Post
    g8 prices for used cars are the same as if they were new. they are holding value quite well
    Yep, red with black leather, 09 with 27k miles......
    Damn.
    Let see how much do they pay for my 6!!!

Comment

Does the G8 suffers for the " reluctant to downshift" problem that plagues our "beloved" cars?

Comment

yes it does. but nothing a really good tranny tune cant fix.
        2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
        2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
        613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
        11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
        New numbers coming soon........

Comment

I guess i'm joining the wagon - Been kicking around the idea with the wife about 'upgrading' out of the G6 - she said 'I am very firm that the car has to have 4 doors not 2 - other than that, go nuts'
          woooo hooooo!!
          I've been reading up on this thread and the g8 forum, they seem pretty solid - here is my question though, is it really worth the 6-8 grand jump for the GXP? There are a few GT's in my area for 22k-28k but I saw one GXP for 32k about 200 miles away. I think a GT would be more than enough though correct?
          Semper Fi - David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays

Comment

Originally posted by Thebeast View Post
            yes it does. but nothing a really good tranny tune cant fix.
            Damn GM and their sloppy control modules!!

Comment

by the time you do about $10,000 in mods to the gt you might be at the HP of the GXP. A stock gxp at the GTO dyno day I think dynode out at close to 465 RWHP.
              Last edited by milkman; 06-07-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milkman View Post
                by the time you do about $10,000 in mods to the gt you might be at the HP of the GXP. A stock gxp at the GTO dyno day I think dynode out at close to 465 RWHP.
                this and the G8 GXP's are very rare. Grab one if you can...
                sigpic
                MY PROGRESSION:
                http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Phew - I had no idea they were that much more beefy. Hmmm - might have to work on convincing the wife

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays

Comment

Originally posted by stlouisdave View Post
                    Phew - I had no idea they were that much more beefy. Hmmm - might have to work on convincing the wife
                    Good luck

I conviced the wifey in getting a G8, regardless our shitty record with the 6 and all the "pontiac exitement" crap....

After reading, now I am having second thoughts!
                    Reliability
                    Build quality
                    Parts availability
                    MPG

So now, not only I would be getting in a high risk, highly problematic car, but a more expensive to use and to insure as well.
                    Not to mention that I need to spend out of the bat for a tuned TCU just to solve a OEM flaw

Comment

ohhh - well now its not sounding as great. Nothing 'huge' like power steering going out at 70 mph but lots of little things and a lot of talk about the transmission being an issue and that even after tunes they are still not 'right'. . .

I just want to get a car, put window tint on it and drive LOL

Comment

First things first, a stock gxp g8 will not dyno 465. that is with a cam and full bolt-ons. Gxp's make 415hp stock at the motor. its an ls3 with no afm/dod. so a cam swap is much easier to do then on a gt(dod hardware has to be removed).
                        I dyno at 363 hp with headers exhaust and a tune. a gxp stock will make that. You do get better suspension and brembos upfront. But id rather by a gt for 10,000+ cheaper and mod up from there.
                        if you go on grrrr8.net and go under the for sale section, there are some very nicely modded g8's for sale at awesome prices. Thats your best bet.
                        2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
                        11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft

Comment

rarity of car=rising/maintaining initial purchase price. They are great cars and tons of people want em.

Me personally, id look on some G8 boards for people trying to get rid of em. lots of people just DD'd them and did like an intake and want to move on already (why i have no idea) so id shop there.
                          sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

If you want something to mod, get a GTO or G8. You won't be stuck in a box as far as mods to do. And the trans tune isn't a must. It drives pretty nice. Although it would help and I will be getting tuned soon. I love my G8

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                            Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

my cam is going in this month. it is a must. dod sucks!!!
                              11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft

Comment

^I have to agree, DoD is retarded and a waste of a potentially great engine!
                                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                                X