Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Install a cabin Air filter

Ok guys here it goes:

I would read over Matts post first: (Its very good and guided me through i just changed some stuff on my own!)
    http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7107

1.) Flip the glove box down so you can get to the air box.
    2.) Find the dotted rectangle that says "CUT ON DASHED LINE TO ADD FILTER"
    3.) Using a utility knife, i did a rough cut on the dashed line.

4.) After getting the rough cut, use a file and straighten out the hole.
    5.) Get your filter, I used a filter for a cobalt (Fram Fresh Breeze CF10361) Walmart about $30

6.) The filter is exactly the right width, however i did remove 1/4 of side structure on each side for the depth to make it fit better. (Sorry didn't think to take a pic of this)
    7.) Vacuum out any shavings that may have fallen in the hole.
    8.) Install filter in the hole.

9.) Build a door for the outside. Here are some pics of the one i made. I used 26 gauge steel i got from home depot for 5 dollars. (I added a label to the outside so whoever buys the car after me knows what is behind there and what to replace it with.) The tab on the bottom locks into the stock nubs, and the far left side is bend 90 degrees to keep everything tight. I did make a screw hole thats a slot to allow for moving room, also installed weather stripping on the back to give a tight fit that won't make any noise. (Also painted black to make it look stock!)

10.) Install door, and put screw in to tighten everything up.

Sorry for the crappy pics but all i had with me was my cell phone.
    The air filter made a big difference in the air quality, as soon as i started the fan up i could smell the baking soda stuff, it was very fresh. If anyone has questions just let me know.

Re: How-To Install a cabin Air filter

This could be my next mod...
    Nice post!!!!
    Mods:
    CRAB option 3 and FPU, iSimple Ipod integrator, Infinity Kappa 693.7i rear speakers, 50 front/20 rear window tint, gtp rims, Brembo brakes, Racingline STB/grounding kit, Intake Resonator Deleted, WAMS Tune.

Upcoming Mods:
    more audio upgrades, racingline MMIs(waiting to be installed)

Comment

Nice!

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
      I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

For those who don't want to or can't visit G6OC below is my post from there.

--

Howdy,

While I had my dash torn apart to install a uPAC iPod and Aux Input adapter I figured that I would also perform a mod I have seen mentioned elsewhere, adding a Cabin Air Filter. In GM's wisdom they use a lot of the same parts across several marques and models, and the CAF-equippable air box is one of them. If you looked behind your glove compartment you would see this taunting you :

But what exactly do you need to do before and after cutting on the dashed line?

Required tools & equipment:

A really sharp knife or a Dremel tool with a saw attachment
        A 10X20 or 10X30X1 air conditioning filter
        A sharp pair of heavy-duty scissors
        Duct, Gaffer's, or aluminum tape

Optional:
        Glue or other adhesive
        Carbon-impregnated pre-filter, cut to size.
        Velcro to secure pre-filter to main filter

How to do it:

1. Open the glove compartment and remove the contents. Squeeze the sides of the glove compartment inward so that you can clear the stops and lower the door.

2. Look carefully at the HVAC air box that is behind the glove compartment door. You will see an area surrounded by a dashed line that contains the message CUT ON DASHED LINE TO ADD FILTER. Using your knife (be careful, the plastic is thick and firm) or Dremel tool, cut along the dashed line. Note: in the picture below, the yellow circles and ovals highlight where the removable filter door attaches on the cars that are so equipped. I don't know the part number, but you might be able to find it checking the Saab 9-3 parts manual as it supposedly has a CAF.

3. Remove the cut piece. I used mine as a gauge to measure how deep the cutout is. It turned out to be 8 inches - but not according to this ruler:

4. Measure and cut your air filter to size. I recommend cutting it between 1/8 and 1/4 inch short.

5. Optional but recommended step: Cut a piece of heavy paper (I used the insert from the filter package), cardboard, or similar to form a complete frame for the filter. Another thing you could do is cut the filter about 9 inches long, cut the cardboard frame back to 8 inches, then shove the whole thing in to get a seal.

5a and 5b. I added a carbon-impregnated pre-filter to reduce noxious odors coming in from outside. To do this I added glued-on velcro tabs to which the media can grab.

My final filter size including the pre-filter is 10 inches wide (the cutout width) by 8 inches (the depth) by 1 inch (most A/C filters are actually about 3/4" thick).

6. Install the filter into the air box. Note the air flow direction arrow on the filter should be pointing DOWN as the outside air comes in from the top of the box as it is drawn by the fan.

7. Seal the air box with your choice of tape. I used Gaffer's tape since it will leave far less residue than duct or aluminum tape, and also will be easier to remove when it's time to change the filter.

8. Wrap the remaining filter up in plastic and save it for the future.

9. Enjoy your clean air!

--

Now, I'm going to go look at building a nice door like Tim did.

~ MattInSoCal
        Last edited by MattInSoCal; 09-03-2012, 04:12 PM. Reason: Update links in pictures (new host)

Comment

Sweet mod, i think i'll be doing this soon. Thanks for this
          Tinted tail lights - -%15 tint all around - -18" sacchi S35 Rims - - 15" Fi Q Subwoofer 1500 watts - -LED strobe Bars under dash - -Painted Calipers - -Black Pontiac Darts - - Black Eagle eye headlights - - 35w 6000k DDM HIDs low/fogs - - De-badged - -Intake Resonator removed - - Recessed Upper- - Black Painted Trunk keyhole - - K&N Cone Filter --
          Upcoming: Tinting Tails Darker, GTR Exhaust, WAMS 93 Tune, maybe some lowering springs

Comment

Hmm, I just went out to do this to my car and mine doesn't have "Cut Here" there is a spot that's bumped up a bit though..

Lunch breaks are the heroes of my stomache!
            Mods:

Comment

naaawce mod. I wonder if the cabin air filter from 2009 Saturn Vue will work? IT takes the AC Delco CF177 or the Wix 49368. Those filters measure 10.05 x 8.88 inches x .75" thick

Comment

My 2005 also has a bump instead of a cut here line. I used a Dremel oscillator to cut out the plastic. As for the filter I purchased the one for a Cobalt, the is about 1/4" or less gap on the side.
                2005 G6 V6, CRABS w/ Custom lower grill ram, Eibach on KYB GR-2, Racingline STB & Street MMI , R1 Concepts Slotted & Cross Drilled w/ Hawk Pads, GTP 18" Hyper White, DDM 3K Fogs.

Comment

i know this thread is a bit old but can you still do this if you dont have the cut here then?

Comment

Update:

Today I went to Wally World to buy the Fram CF10361 filter. just shy of $30 out the door. It fits side-to-side but sticks out of the housing about 3/16". My ghetto Home Depot approach cost me less than $10 for 3 filters worth of material. The Fram filters (made in China, it says so) have paper on all four sides, no worse than the home-made job. So, use that information to decide how much money you want to spend. No matter what you do, note that the air flows from the top of the box down, so if your filter has an arrow to show the air flow it points to the ground.

BTW, the filter I made had collected quite a bit of dirt over the last two years, definitely time to change it, and also proof that it really did work.

~ MattInSoCal

Comment

So question about this filter, I don't have the "CUT ON DASHED TO ADD FILTER" markings. Can I still cut around that area and add a filter? Or is it completely blocked off back there?

(I can't find a good air freshener that's not too strong and lasts for a while... Don't want a smelly car)

Comment

There should be a bump if not a cut along the dotted line area. Id also stick a nice air freshener in there aswell extra smell good

Comment

Would it be one or the other? I either have a bump or a dotted line? Is there a 3rd option of none? And then if there is a bump, can I still cut around this and add that CF10361 air freshener?

Comment

Working...
                          X