Gutting my cats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutting my cats?

I think my exhaust is too tame and quiet and im looking for some more sound. What do you guys think of me gutting my cats? Ive listened to a few exhaust clips (of course none were LS1 with LMII but it gave me an idea) and it sounded pretty sick. Thing is though, if it sounds like shit, im stuck with it and wont be able to go back until i get headers.

Thoughts.
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%
    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Re: Gutting my cats?

Straight pipes = win.
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
      Straight pipes = win.

if you are worried about visual inspection, get a muffler shop to weld a straight pipe through the cat. it looks like it has cats, but really has straight pipes.
      ............... My cardomain page ................. My facebook page ...............

Comment

Originally posted by coolmanvette75
        Originally posted by WoodburyMan
        Straight pipes = win.

if you are worried about visual inspection, get a muffler shop to weld a straight pipe through the cat. it looks like it has cats, but really has straight pipes.
        we dont have inspections in IL . Im not worried about any of that im just worried it will sound bad. Im sure itll sound good but that small percentage makes me nervous to do it.
        sigpic

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Comment

just gutting the cats can make it a little more "raspy" sounding. id just remove the cats and weld in straight pipes. this will make the car louder.
          ............... My cardomain page ................. My facebook page ...............

Comment

just gutting the cats can make it a little more "raspy" sounding. id just remove the cats and weld in straight pipes. this will make the car louder.
            that would be ideal but im looking for free mods lol. moving out in about a month so cash is tizight.
            sigpic

Comment

well, gutted cats are better than regular cats. just a little more raspy.

and honestly, a muffler shop should only charge you like $50 bucks to weld in pipe, if that.

Comment

well, gutted cats are better than regular cats. just a little more raspy.

and honestly, a muffler shop should only charge you like $50 bucks to weld in pipe, if that.
                well, i may analyze that upon completing the gutted cats. if i want MOAR then ill think about it. Maybe ill pick up some pipe myself and have my neighbor do the welding for me (if he can, hes a good welder but he never does car work)
                sigpic

Comment

if he is a good welder, he should be able to do it. im 16 and i can weld pipe. its not very hard. just buy some pipe, buy ur neighbor a 6-pack, and enjoy

Comment

GUT YOUR CATS
                    K&N typhoon, Magnaflow Cat-back, Eibach Springs, Konig Rims, Sunny Tires,

Comment

I just had my dad install my Cherrybomb but i had to buy an extra pipe to make it the right size... anywho piece of pipe was only like 6 bucks...

IDK about GTO's but wouldn't it need the backpressure the cats create? I would just buy the pipes 20 bucks at the most... have someone who knows how to weld install them... if it gives you any probs... slap the intact cats back on! WIN

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
                      I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

Originally posted by 1BADG6GT
                        I just had my dad install my Cherrybomb but i had to buy an extra pipe to make it the right size... anywho piece of pipe was only like 6 bucks...

IDK about GTO's but wouldn't it need the backpressure the cats create? I would just buy the pipes 20 bucks at the most... have someone who knows how to weld install them... if it gives you any probs... slap the intact cats back on! WIN
                        well i do still have mufflers (SLP Loudmouth II Mufflers) so i still have some backpressure there
                        sigpic

Comment

Cut the cats... weld in pipe... put in O2 stimulator/emulators that way you dont throw codes...

i had a buddy do that to his Rustang and it sounded redic... oh and the raw fuel smell gave me a *BOING*

Comment

Don't gut them! If you gut out your converters it will cause more turbulence in your exhaust. More often than not, you will see a decrease in power by just "gutting" them. Weld a straight pipe in.

1994 Civic - 1995 240SX - (GTO sold)
                            There are cars that take you from point A to point B, and then there are cars that eat your family, worship Satan, and purposefully transmit STDs.

Comment

Ask a muffler shop to gut some old trashed cats and weld them in, if you gut your cats and dont like the sound then it will cost $$ to buy new cats and install them.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
                              Originally posted by [i
                              Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

Working...
                              X