how do you keep black rims clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how do you keep black rims clean?

I've used a number of quick detailers..lately I've been stuck on Megs Ultimate QD and use it daily on the car (wheels included). Takes some dedication to keep the shit clean

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

i dont have black wheels. but anything black is always hard to clean. so im gonna paint or powdercoat my wheels black. so i will let you know what i use to clean it. and what works when i get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosweaveR
        My technique is easy.

Microfiber cloth with detail spray.

I keep a box of cleaning stuffs in my trunk at all times.

this.

if you are really lazy and have a california duster i do that when my rims get dusty.
        sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

looks like there's nothing out there made specifically for cleaning black rims so the best thing to do is i guess detail/wax along with the car and keep some wipes handy to keep em clean as long as possible.
          Thanks for all the info guys

Comment

P21S wheel gel cleaner works wonders on everything wheel related, let it dwell for a minute or two get an EZ-Detail brush to get behind the spokes and your all set. Seal the tires with your favorite tire dressing, for me its black magic tire wet. I use it for all plastic trim on the outside.
            Installed - Crab CAB Intake, Borbet Type XL In Black wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide Oval, Hammerhead, Lowered, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, HID's DDM tuning 55w 10k Low 35W 8k Fog, LED Tail Light Bulbs, Racingline Strut Bar Painted Red, R1 Concepts CD/S Front and Rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads, 25mm H&R Wheel Spacers, GTR (Pending Delivery)

Future Mods - Window Tint, GXP Rear Bumper, Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights, LED Turn Signals, Audi Headlight Mod, Upper/Lower Recessed Grilles, Energy Suspension Sway Bushings, Engine Tune

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
              I've used a number of quick detailers..lately I've been stuck on Megs Ultimate QD and use it daily on the car (wheels included). Takes some dedication to keep the shit clean

NOOOOOOOOOO!
              Please don't use a quick detailer daily.
              You will DESTROY your paint over time.
              Microscratches, swirls, hazes etc.
              You are rubbing dirt and dust into your paint.

There are instances when it is good to use, however if you use it even once a week I would be doing a swirl, scratch and haze remover at least once every two weeks.

Lunch breaks are the heroes of my stomache!
              Mods:

Comment

Bro I have had detail shops for 20 years. There is a pink polish it is more of a final finish. Hand apply to rims with light coat remember polish is what makes a car shine and then a light coat of wax protects the polish job. For black rims it's the same idea. NEVER use wheel acid on black rims, I read some replies that suggested that. If the rims have grime you can't get off use a general cleaner and the sponge that looks like Swiss cheese it will not scratch. I would suggest TRIPLE ZERO STEEL WOOL but on black don't apply any pressure actually don't use the steel wool until your used to it and when your an expert useing it you will see you can use it on black but just very lightly. Your first thought IS it will scratch. Now steel wool can scratch metal if you use it and push down to hard. You just lightly rub. Put a light coat of wax on your rims to protect the polish job POLISH SHINES PAINT WAX PROTECTS THE POLISH. You will get dust on the rims but it will wipe off easily with a micro fiber RAG.

You can clean any part of your car with steel wool especially interiors it works plastics dashboard, door panels just NEVER PUSH DOWN TOO HARD YOU CAN APPLY MORE PRESSURE ON PLASTICS THEN THE LEATHER use a General Purpose cleaner even Windex or spend the money and get a plastic and leather cleaner. If you have a air gun you can detail the interior in 15 minutes spray your cleaner on area your cleaning I usually start with drivers side door panel and then wipe with steel wool use air gun to and a rag to get off the dirt shoot dirt and the air will get everything out of door pockets but have your RAG there and be ready for your cleaner to spray back out but you should wipe in the door pockets and then hit it with the air gun in a direction So it will shoot dirt and stuff into your RAG. And then start on THE plastic strip area that gets scuffed up by shoes. You can APPLY a decent amount of pressure with the steel wool on plastics. Then get the side of the seat down low if Its a cloth seat your lucky because you just have that little area too clean. If the seats are leather you have ALOT more to do but do the seat last because you will be sitting ON it to do all other areas of the front drivers side and console then when you finish all that clean the seat. For instrument panel and blinker and wiper control spray with cleaner use a detailers brush get all hard to reach areas and use air to blow the dirt out of areas you can't reach. Then do dashboard. And then spray around radio use your brush and air but don't use full force of air as it could shoot off a radio button Or knob or something clean out center console If leather seats Now start cleaning passengers side seat If cloth wait and vacuum later. Now get out push drivers seat all the way forward and do back door panel Then that piece that gets the scuff marks then do the whatever else needs do be cleaned your air gun is your best friend once get used to this process you can fly! The air saves ALOT of wipeing with rag after you hit the area with the cleaner and TRIPLE Zero steel wool if needed do a quick wipe and the use air to shoot dirt into rag do a quick wipe and move on. After you do all of the inside apply a protectant to the leather And plastic too give it a clean refreshed look don't make it look wet some people hate that. I suggest apply it and then take a seperate cloth and wipe it so It shows evenly not wet in one spot make it look smooth. Always do Windows last get 2 Window rags one will stay dry one Will be used after you spray glass cleaner spray wipe with the RAG you designated to be getting damp remove streaks with dry rag. Also the Triple Zero will take anything you can't get off glass it will not scratch glass. I even cheat and use it to lightly remove stains on the outside of light colored cars you never notice but if you try it on dark cars NO NOW YOU WILL SEE SCRATCHES. And always before you do interior take out all trash and customers items from every door pocket and compartment because they get cleaned too. And remove floor mats and use your air to spray dirt forward get in all hard to reach areas with the air gun it makes it easier when it comes time to vaccum.

I always do exterior first. I split the car in half wash one side first spray with hose and then spray front of car and all the low sections on that side of car with a watered down General purpose cleaner use 2 wash rags And a good soap! And get going before you rinse off soap go over the front and get off bugs and grime with the sponge that looks like Swiss cheese and also do the side you just washed it's a hard sponge won't scratch but will get off ALOT more then wash clothes rinse that side and do other side of car. Then do rims wheel acid little brushes and steel wool just never on chrome or colored rims until you know the amount of pressure you can apply with out scratching the rim as you get better with the steel wool you can even get good enough to get things off exterior of dark colored cars. After rims are done use air gun and shammy to dry it off. Spray air in all cracks behind moldings and mirrors and all the areas water usually drips from later. If its a light colored car spray wax it and clay bar it. Now this is when you do TIRE SHINE BECAUSE odds are some will get on paint but you still have to polish car and remove with machine buffer for best results. And then apply light coat of wax and take off with micro fiber WAX RAG now any tire wet over spray you would have saw is most likely already wiped off. That's why do the tires when I suggested. Use a shammy to always dry your car and a air gun helps as well so you can blow out all the trapped water and wipe with shammy as you go. Nothing worse then water drips when your into the polish stage of buffing a car. Do a few walk arounds of The car and have a micro fiber you will find spots you missed! You will get This method down like second nature. It make me $250 a car in downtown Boston where I have opened shops in parking garages of luxury high rises. My cliental lives above my shop. I also get ALOT of word of mouth work. I average 5 cars a day with one helper. My other shop has 3 guys and does around 7 cars a day. Of course some days it rains But you would be surprised people still keep appointments if they are not takeing there car out that day!!! I hope this helps. Also get a professional supply guy don't use Auto zone products.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by scottferazzi; 08-28-2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X