Installed Pioneer DVD stereo with Metro Turbo2 kit today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed Pioneer DVD stereo with Metro Turbo2 kit today

Well, I have to say it wasn't as difficult as I'd thought it would be. I was amazed at how well the Metra kit hooks up to the factory harness....no cutting of the stock harness wires at all. You just solder the wires from the aftermarket stereo to the corresponding wires on the metra kit (wires are same colors on both for easy identification), and plug the harnesses into the factory harnesses and you're almost set.

There were two things that set me back a bit though (I started at 11AM, finished around 4!)

1. Since it's a DVD player, it had that safety lock on it where you have to wire it to the parking brake for it to play movies...I DON'T THINK SO! After doing 5 minutes of research, I found that you can just hook that wire to a toggle switch and flip it on and off when you please (No officer I was not watching a movie!) So I put a switch in the most discrete place ever...right in that little space in front of the shifter, on top.

2. The antenna harness on the car did not match up to the one on the radio. I heard there are adapters for this, but I didn't feel like searching around for them, so I just bent the elbow-shaped connector at the end of the factory antenna wire straight, and slipped it in to the Pioneer one, and taped it really tight. I have reception, but if it becomes an issue where it comes loose or something, I'll have to buy the adapter.

I always thought the stock monsoon system was loud...well...this stereo is ridiculously loud, and clear! There are so many things to adjust to get great sound quality...I'm actually afraid of blowing the speakers now. 12 is the highest volume setting I went to...and even then it sounded like the speakers were almost at their limit...but there was no distortion, it was all clear.

Oh, and the LCD screen on the dash kit doesn't look soo bad. It's white, which I think is the next best color after red.

Here are some pics, if anyone has any questions about anything related to installing an aftermarket deck, just ask!

And here's the toggle switch:
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Dats pimp yo!! Which Pioneer is that?

The ONLY thing that would bother me with that set up is the fact that the Metra Unit's plastic doesn't match. Small price to pay for an awesome set up, though! Love the toggle switch! I've done that wiht my Avic-N2 in my Contour. You can also just take the wire and ground it to the chassis, but that would mean it could play ALL the time... "sorry officer, I was watchin' a movie"..I've done both ways.. the switch is a better and..uhh.. less costly way, lol.
    Straight up Pimp Trollin'
    2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
    w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

Thanks! It's the AVH-P5700DVD.

Yea I was reading up about that DVD wire thing, and somebody had said that nowadays Pioneer makes you go out of your way to get it working right...Just grounding the wire won't work. Because even if you have it set on the parking brake, you have to pull the brake up, let it down, then pull it up again for the movie to play. So a toggle switch is necessary in this case.

Oh, this unit also has rear camera capabilities...just hook the wire to the reverse lights, and you get an image on the screen of what you're about to back up into...should I do it?
      -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

HELL YEAH! Replace the lock cylinder ont eh trunk with a camera! That'd be pimp! I did that on my Tour'. There was a sweet ass website that sold tiny cameras that fit perfectly in a lock cylinder (actually.. think they were made for it) for a cheap price.

If you can flaunt it.. why not?! lol.

Comment

Looks good, but for all that money why couldn't the metra kit plastic and display match? :-(
          Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13
            Looks good, but for all that money why couldn't the metra kit plastic and display match? :-(
            AMEN to Emerson's comment and IMO I can't stand the Metra setup. However that is a sick as hell DVD setup.
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

If if it matched then it wouldn't look aftermarket

I just did it because of all the horror stories I've heard about how the car reacts when the DIC is not connected. Who knows if they're even true. Oh well. I like having it there. If something better comes out maybe I'll look into swapping it.
              -Mike #1

Comment

It does look good with that big screen right there though. I would do it if the Metra kit matched the plastic and wasn't so expensive. Nice work though.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Thanks.

So in the future I'm going to look into getting a rear camera, and maybe the adapters to make the steering wheel controls functionable again. Yes I lost those with this radio. But I think the kit costs around $60 to get them working with the radio. Then they also have this unit that plugs into the radio that gives you vehicle statistics...like speed, horsepower, and other stuff. I gotta look into that.
                  -Mike #1

Comment

too bad nobody thought to make the kit upside down (DIC on top) so when you open the screen it doesnt cover the vents but the DIC which your not going to use ALL THAT MUCH neways!
                    Originally posted by Toyz
                    Originally posted by simplyred
                    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

too bad nobody thought to make the kit upside down (DIC on top) so when you open the screen it doesnt cover the vents but the DIC which your not going to use ALL THAT MUCH neways!
                      Always thinking, that is a good point though.

Comment

Too bad the Pioneer doesn't have software or whatever to contrl the DIC. y'know?

You can usually get the unit for the radio controls for like 30-40 bucks on Ebizzle!

Comment

what would be awesome if some company had a head unit that just displayed all the DIC information through the head display on the unit.

Comment

It runs fine without the dic, i know a guy thats done it
                            2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

Give it time and a company will come out with it.. the problem is that GM would have to uniform their plugs (which they wont do I'm sure) but most of the new cars have the DIC.. ours might be one of the only ones with it in the radio tho...SHITTY!!!! They should have made a HUD like the GP GTP's!!!
                              Originally posted by Toyz
                              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X