Wiring for GENTEX 511

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring for GENTEX 511

I just upgraded from a on-star rear view mirror to a auto-dimer with compass and on-star. What do i need to do to get this to work. I have a 08 G6 GT and the mirror came off a 09 G6 GT. The harness is a 16 pin but only has the following wires attached.

8-black ground
    10- brownish w/ white strip ( could be a a different color but under flourescent )
    12- gray which i believes go to the microphone for onstar when i followed it
    13- black with white strip
    14- blue

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wiring for GENTEX 511

Cool, I've been wanting to do that but no $$.

When it comes to your question... !!!
    sigpic
    Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

Here is the full pin-out for the Gentex 16 pin plug. Of course most of these are not used for the mirrors in our cars. I don't remember which pin is #1 but you should be able to figure it out by looking at the wires you already have. 1-8 is on one side, 9-16 is on the other. The ones with an * are the wires you'll need.

1 = Grey = not used
      2 = Bare = Microphone
      3 = "Passenger Air Bag on" notification (some GM trucks - ground pin to activate)
      4 = "Passenger Air Bag off" notification
      5 = auto day/night signal from LH outside mirror (use w/ pin 16)
      6 = Brown = Temp probe connection
      7 = Green/Black = Temp probe connection
      *8 = Black = Ground (Common to Pin 9)
      *9 = Light Green = Reverse Dim Inhibit
      10 = Gray = Microphone
      *11 = Dark Green/White = keypad signal (out)
      *12 = Light Green = keypad +5v supply (in)
      *13 = Yellow = +12V switched (ignition)
      14 = Yellow/Black = Green LED signal
      15 = Brown/White = Red LED signal (apply 12v to light LED)
      16 = day/night signal to LH outside mirror

I found a guy on ebay that will make up a harness with whichever wires you want. Don't remember his name or email but I may be able to find it. You'll need to run #13 to a switched 12v power source. The "reverse dim inhibit" is optional, it's a safety feature that prevents the mirror from dimming when you put the car in reverse so you can see clearly. You'll need to tap into one of the reverse lights for that.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Where are the wires that I need are located. Is this something I need to find wires from and rewire them to the plug in back of the mirror? The 13 pin already has something init do i remove it from the pin. I can post a pic if needed. I know the fuse box on the passenger feet as wires wasn't sure if these are from there also.

Comment

Yes if you can post a pic I may be able to help more. If you really do have 12v going to the mirror already you may be good to go without any other wiring. Have you tried installing the new mirror with the existing wiring to see if it works as is?

Comment

I cannot post a picture of the pins. Can I email them to you. I need your email. my is jculter@mail.csuchio.edu

Comment

The new mirror works only the ONSTAR. the Nav. direction and the Autodimming doesn't seem to work.

Comment

Originally posted by jculter
                The new mirror works only the ONSTAR. the Nav. direction and the Autodimming doesn't seem to work.
                what do you know about jay cutler....
                sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

The Only Thing I know about Jay Cutler is he is a awesome quarterback when he is not in the AFC West.

Comment

Originally posted by jculter
                    The Only Thing I know about Jay Cutler is he is a awesome quarterback when he is not in the AFC West.
                    sigh. hes a terrible qb...TERRIBLE.

and i wasn't talking about him. i was hoping we had another bodybuilding enthusiast
                    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Any luck on getting the mirror to work?

Comment

Originally posted by tracyboy
                        Any luck on getting the mirror to work?
                        Oops. I forgot to update. DrewpyDawg helped me with it also. The mirror was getting power but no power to the compass and dimming. I had to add a positive power to pin 13 which came from 12. It works awesome. It took some time to get use to it. I was driving and my mirror was black and I was WTH is going on. Then I realized I had the dimmer working. My wife told me I shouldn't get lost now with the compass. The adult bookstore is south of our house.LOL

Comment

Can't wait to see pictures, or see it in person HERE!
                          "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Glad it's working. I don't remember what 12v you said you tapped into, but for others doing this too, be sure to connect to a *switched* 12v wire or your compass will stay on even when the car is turned off. I used one of those little "add a circuit" fuse holders and plugged it into the fuse for the heated seats (oddly, all cars seem to have that fuse whether you have heated seats or not.)

Comment

Originally posted by BAMBAMM View Post
                              Can't wait to see pictures, or see it in person HERE!
                              Paying someone to install parts on your car, and bragging about it being fast is like watching someone SMURF your wife, and being proud to raise the kids
                              sigpic
                              Progression Page
                              Four Door Mafia

Forever Pontiac
                              Sponsored by: Negrotis™ Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X