Fog lights as DRLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog lights as DRLs

I am trying to figure out a way to run the fog lights as the DRLs instead of the low beams. I think I have it but wanted to run this by some of the knowledgeable people here before I start my car on fire and/or electrocute myself.

Basically I want to wire up a relay that switches on with the ignition and off when the headlamps are on. I want to retain normal foglight functionality as well. I came up with the following:

The reason why I chose to wire 85 and 86 to 30 on the DRL relay is because pin 30 on the DRL relay has power when the DRLs are off. When the DRLs are on, pin 30 on the DRL relay appears to be a ground. Would it be better to wire 85 and 86 to a headlight instead?

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Is there an easier way of doing what I'm trying to achieve?

personally i just hit the fog light button when i get in the car which switches off your DRL and just uses the fog lights instead.

This would be nice so you don't have to keep pressing the button everytime but its your call if its worth the time fooling around with the electric

good luck wiring it up as i think its a cool idea

2006 G6 3.5 Sedan - Granite
    Doc Speed CAB

Comment

The reason I want to do this is so I can install HID's in my low beams, but still have something running as DRLs. So I need the lights to come on with the car, but turn off if the headlights come on AND still be able to turn the foglights on with the button.

Is this doable or am I having a wet dream here?

Comment

i would connect either pin 85 or pin 86 of the relay that you have drawn to pin 30 of the DRL relay and connect the other one to a good ground rather than having both of them wired to DRL 30. that way when the DRLs switch off the current will run through into one side and out the other energizing the magnetic coil and pulling the trigger off of pin 87a and turning off the fogs, like you want it to do.

i don't think that hooking both 85 and 86 up to DRL 30 will do the trick, in fact i think it will cause the relay to do nothing at all which will leave 87a energized at all times which you obviously don't want. it needs a ground to have the current running through it to magnetize.

this will cause the fogs to come on with the DRLs, but what are you doing to disable the low beam DRLs from comming on?

Comment

I just realized this morning that wiring both pins to the DRL 30 wouldn't work. Putting one side to a ground makes more sense.

I am just going to pull the DRL fuse to disable the low beams. This disables the constant power to the DRL relay but not the power coming to pin 30 on the DRL relay when the low beams are on.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

sounds like it should work to me. let us know what you end up doing

Comment

all that instead of just pushing button when you get in car?

take out the drl fuse (then hids wont kick on) and push the foglight button if you want them on...no matter what they are going off when you turn car off, so just one push last all day

just dont see the point in wiring all that when you can take 2 secs to get them on anyway

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                all that instead of just pushing button when you get in car?

take out the drl fuse (then hids wont kick on) and push the foglight button if you want them on...no matter what they are going off when you turn car off, so just one push last all day

just dont see the point in wiring all that when you can take 2 secs to get them on anyway
                You're right...but it's all about convenience. Why have automatic headlights, speed compensating volume or automatic climate control? I could just as easily turn on my own headlights, turn the volume knob, or turn the A/C down, but if I can get the car to do it for me, why not?

It's actually not that bad. I wired the car up today. Took about an hour and a half, using two relays. The foglights now act as the DRL's, and the foglights are the only lights that come on (no parking lamps, and the LED in the foglight switch does not light either). They shut off when the headlights kick in, and I can then turn them on with the button.

The only thing I haven't tried is turning on the foglights when they are acting as DRL's. Essentially they would be powered by 2 different circuits...not sure if this causes a problem or not?

I wrote up a how-to, in case anyone else wants to try this (also to see if anyone can spot any problems in my approach).

Comment

Originally posted by scottiedoo82
                  personally i just hit the fog light button when i get in the car which switches off your DRL and just uses the fog lights instead.
                  Hmmm. I did not know that. I'll have to check it out.
                  ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

Originally posted by AeonPurdue
                    Originally posted by scottiedoo82

well its not that easy hitting foglights only turns off your DRL's when its bright outside, i checked
                    as soon as your dash panel is lit the foglight button does not turn off jack shit

Comment

well its not that easy hitting foglights only turns off your DRL's when its bright outside, i checked
                      as soon as your dash panel is lit the foglight button does not turn off jack shit
                      You sort of correct. If you did not turn off your automatic headlights or if you turn them on yourself then they will be on as well as the fog lights when it gets dark. If you you turn off your automatic headlights, you can use your foglight button to turn off the DRL's and see only the foglights in the dark. Your dash will light up no matter if the headlights are on or off, they will always light up if its dark enough outside.

This is how it is for my 06 Sedan... I am pretty sure they would be the same for other years/coupes?

2006 G6 3.5 Sedan - Granite
                      Doc Speed CAB

Comment

So just so you guys know, if you have a Canadian G6, you can not shut off the fog lights at night if this mod is done, going off the info posted above. We can not shut off our auto headlights unless the parking brake is on.

sigpic
                        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                          So just so you guys know, if you have a Canadian G6, you can not shut off the fog lights at night if this mod is done, going off the info posted above. We can not shut off our auto headlights unless the parking brake is on.
                          This is sort of true. As long as you leave your auto headlights on, the way I've done it, once the headlights come on the foglight DRLs turn off.

If you shut the auto lights off, then you're right - the foglights will always be on. But as soon as the headlights are turned on, the foglights turn off. They can be turned back on by hitting the button.

Also - when you hit the foglight button during the day, it also turns your marker (parking) lamps on.

Comment

Ok.. I stand corrected..

I should have read to the top post. I misread something along the way and interpreted it to mean that the fogs were running off of the low beams or something.

sigpic
                            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I just pulled the fuse and poof, DRLs gone. I do wish my fogs would come on with my headlights. Otherwise I am good. :P
                              Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Working...
                              X