6T70 - LY7 6-speed auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6T70 - LY7 6-speed auto

Found a great article while looking for gear ratios. Feel free to put this with the 3.6L post if you think it's better off there:

New GM Hydra-Matic 6T70 Six-Speed Automatic

Type: six-speed transverse, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission
    Maximum engine horsepower: 315
    Maximum engine torque: 280 lb-ft
    Maximum gearbox torque: 380 lb-ft

Gear ratios:
    First: 4.48
    Second: 2.87
    Third: 1.84
    Fourth: 1.41
    Fifth: 1.00
    Sixth: 0.74
    Reverse: 2.88

Maximum shift speed: 7000 rpm

5-position quadrant: P, R, N, D, (M)
    Case material: die-cast aluminum
    Shift pattern: (2) three-way on/off solenoids
    Shift quality: five variable bleed solenoids
    Torque converter clutch: variable bleed solenoid
    Converter size: 258 mm
    Transmission weight (kg / lb): 102 / 273 (wet)
    Fluid type: DEXRON® VI
    Fluid capacity (L / qt): 9.0 / 9.5
    Assembly site: Warren, Mich.
    Additional features: Clutch-to-clutch operation (except 1-2); integrated transmission electro-hydraulic
    control module with driver shift control and performance algorithm shifting

* Applicable to FWD and AWD powertrain layouts
    * Torque capacity to 280 lb.-ft.
    * Shift speeds up to 7000 rpm
    * 32-bit intelligent controller included in sophisticated internal transmission electro-hydraulic control module (TEHCM)
    * Built at GM Powertrain’s assembly plant in Warren, Mich.

General Motors new Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission, an advanced transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel drive vehicles, will debut in the all-new 2007 Saturn Aura midsize sedan. Co-developed with Ford Motor Co., the new six-speed joins the already announced Hydra-Matic six-speed rear-wheel drive family of automatics and Allison 1000 six-speed automatic as part of GM’s mission to produce 3 million six-speed automatics annually by 2010.

The 6T70’s clutch-to-clutch operation allows for reduced complexity and compact packaging. A wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio spread helps the transmission deliver both performance and fuel economy, enabling up to 8 percent improved performance and up to 4 percent improved fuel economy when compared with current front-wheel drive four-speed automatics.

“The 6T70 offers the best of both worlds – the excitement of a performance transmission and the economy expected of an overdrive,” said Robert Vargo, assistant chief engineer, new front-wheel drive transmissions. “The joint development effort allowed both companies to maximize time and engineering talent to answer a common need for a fuel-efficient transmission that meets the performance needs of high-output, transverse-mount powertrains.”

Co-development of the transmission allowed it to reach production in less time and enabled each company to reduce development costs by as much as 50 percent. A common design and many common components are shared between GM and Ford six-speed variants, but each company developed its own controls and calibrations to tailor the shift feel of the transmission to fit their brand characteristics.

Rated for engines up to 315 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque, the 6T70 helps maximize powertrain performance and economy through its wide 6.04:1 ratio – the spread in gear ratios between first gear and sixth gear. This configuration allows for a “steep” 4.48:1 first gear, which helps deliver exceptional launch feel, and a 0.74:1 overdrive sixth gear – the “tall” overdrive gear lowers rpm at high speeds, reducing noise, vibration and harshness. Fifth gear is 1:1 or direct drive.

“The additional gear states are almost like having two transmissions in one,” said Vargo. “The low first gear provides tremendous off-the-line acceleration, but the transmission is able to use the middle gears to evenly distribute the torque and offers an overdrive sixth gear that helps delivers great fuel economy.”

Shorter steps between the gears, compared with a four-speed automatic, enhance performance and feel, as the transmission quickly finds the best gear for the vehicle speed and road conditions – there’s less “hunting” (shift busyness) on grades, for example. Also, the 6T70 offers the capability of driver shift control (DSC), which allows the driver to use tap-up, tap-down shifting to select the desired gear for specific road conditions, such as driving up a steep hill.

The Hydra-Matic 6T70’s highlights also include:

* Compact dimensions of 357 mm in length and 197 mm in width for packaging convenience in a variety of front- and all-wheel drive
    vehicles with transverse-mounted powertrains – one the most compact transmissions in its competitive set
    * Clutch-to-clutch shift operation for all shifts except 1-2 reduces mechanical complexity and mass while enhancing shift feel
    * Integrated transmission electro-hydraulic control module (TEHCM) with driver shift control and performance algorithm shifting for
    shift feel and timing tailored to the driver
    * Internal control module reduces powertrain complexity
    * Auto grade braking and shift mode capability
    * Heat-treated gears are honed for a more precise fit, reducing noise, vibration and harshness
    * Narrow torque converter enhances packaging and maintains efficiency
    * Simple, less complex design has reduced number of seals
    * Adjustable capacity vane-type pump enhances fuel economy compared with non-adjustable gear-type pump

Although used in some low-volume high-performance sports cars and luxury sedans, six-speed transmissions are rare in most high-volume midsize cars and SUVs. GM and Ford Motor Co. recognized a need for a transmission that could accommodate increased powertrain performance while delivering excellent fuel economy. The compact size and reduced complexity afforded by the clutch-to-clutch design allowed engineers to answer the call for performance and economy with six forward speeds.

With its wide ratio and strong capacity, the 6T70 has the capability to transfer more torque to the drive wheels, particularly in all-wheel drive applications. It also helps vehicles such as SUVs to feel livelier at lower speeds, particularly at launch or when stepping away from a stoplight.

The 6T70’s advanced clutch-to-clutch operation is designed for smooth shift feel and packaging efficiency. All shifts except 1-2 (the transmission “free wheels” in first) feature clutch-to-clutch operation. This is achieved through three planetary gears, with three stationary clutches and two rotating clutches. It’s a simple, less complex design that enables the packaging of six gears in the space of a four-speed automatic.

A sophisticated transmission electro-hydraulic control module (TEHCM) is mounted inside the 6T70, reducing vehicle complexity. Similar to the control system used in the Hydra-Matic 6-speed rear-wheel drive transmissions, the TEHCM offers improved quality through its hard-wired connections and pre-calibration.

The unit is located entirely within the transmission and operates while bathed in transmission fluid. Locating the controller internally facilitates the modular design and assembly strategy while also shielding the unit from the outside environment.

Meanwhile, GM’s proprietary model-based controls strategy reaches a greater level of sophistication in the new six-speed FWD transmission family, said Vargo. The 32-bit system incorporates three levels of “learning” that actually allow the components to adapt to one another.

Although it is not uncommon to have a transmission-control module that adapts to the specific transmission with which it is mated, and to also have programming that optimizes transmission performance characteristics according to a variety of vehicle inputs, the new Hydra-Matic six-speed automatic adds another level of adaptability. Certain components within the major subsystems that make up the transmission also “learn” from one another – via the controller software – in a unique form of self-adaptation that maximizes the interface of all the “networked” components. This procedure takes place as the transmission “tests” itself and the interaction of its internal components before it is shipped from the assembly plant.

The TEHCM enables a host of performance-oriented and driver-controllable shift features, including performance algorithm shifting (PAS), driver shift control (DSC) “tap shift” and auto-grade braking.

The Hydra-Matic 6T70 is manufactured at GM’s Warren Transmission plant. It debuts in summer 2006, when production begins on the 2007 Saturn Aura.
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: 6T70 - LY7 6-speed auto

Type: six-speed transverse, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission

That should really entice the after market
    I know there is not much interest anyway but, those kind of limitations don't help.

Post this on that losers malibu page who claims like 400 HP

Comment

Originally posted by 4DGXP

That should really entice the after market
      I know there is not much interest anyway but, those kind of limitations don't help.

Post this on that losers malibu page who claims like 400 HP
      Funny you should mention that, because I just run into a forum post on another site from a guy that specializes in Fiero GT power. He's only 1 of two outfits to ever put an LS6 mated to a 4T65e into a Grand Prix. He said that the HP and torque rating GM uses are just what they have actually done in vehicles. It's not the actual physical / mechanical limits. He's got a stock 4T65 with over 400 HP and it's still running strong. I mean, the damn thing is already forged, so I don't see what you couldn't exceed these numbers by at least 10 - 20 % and still be perfectly fine.
      2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
      1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

I would put one of these in mine if I had the money. This four speed auto stuff is shenanigans.
        Mods:
        CRAB option 3 and FPU, iSimple Ipod integrator, Infinity Kappa 693.7i rear speakers, 50 front/20 rear window tint, gtp rims, Brembo brakes, Racingline STB/grounding kit, Intake Resonator Deleted, WAMS Tune.

Upcoming Mods:
        more audio upgrades, racingline MMIs(waiting to be installed)

Comment

I just thought it was a low rating even, if this is the same trans that the CTS uses. I mean it says it is suitable for AWD, and the direct injected 3.6L makes 304 HP and 273 LB FT. So intake and exhaust, or a tune would be over the" MAX" 11 HP and & 7 FT LBS wouldn't be hard to find

Edit: 6L50 or 6L90 in 08 CTS according to wikipedia.

Comment

Thats the same tranny they tossed in sport package 1 Ecotecs in 2009 too i belive.

I know mines a 6spd and it seems like a beast in first gear... always spinning tires....always.
            Current 2002 Galaxy Silver Grand Prix GTP (L67 3.8 S/C)
            97 Liquid Red Grand Prix GT - Rip/2009 Midnight Blue Metallic Sedan : RIP

Comment

an ls6 would sure be nice. if my engine blows and i have the money and my warranty is up. 5.3 liter v8 is goin in
              2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
              2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
              613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
              11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
              New numbers coming soon........

Comment

haha should go head and drop a ls7 in and make it rwd
                Mods: Intake resonator removed GTR Exhaust 30% Tint Front 15% Back Crab Intake WAMS 93 octane tune RLP street motor mounts, Debaged, Destriped, and Dashhawk. Infinity Kappa door speakers, Kicker cvx 12, Pioneer AVH-3200 BT Deck, Kicker 700.5 amp

Comment

lol so 6spd owners should do dyno pulls in 5th.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by 07GTPBlackAndTan
                    Funny you should mention that, because I just run into a forum post on another site from a guy that specializes in Fiero GT power. He's only 1 of two outfits to ever put an LS6 mated to a 4T65e into a Grand Prix. He said that the HP and torque rating GM uses are just what they have actually done in vehicles. It's not the actual physical / mechanical limits. He's got a stock 4T65 with over 400 HP and it's still running strong. I mean, the damn thing is already forged, so I don't see what you couldn't exceed these numbers by at least 10 - 20 % and still be perfectly fine.
                    How can we get to the bottom of this? We've chatted about this on and off for a long time. Do we know anyone on this forum who's running more than 315 HP on a 6spd or 280 HP on a 4spd? Come on people let's solve this once and for all! Who's with me?!
                    sigpic
                    Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

Originally posted by thestig
                      How can we get to the bottom of this? We've chatted about this on and off for a long time. Do we know anyone on this forum who's running more than 315 HP on a 6spd or 280 HP on a 4spd? Come on people let's solve this once and for all! Who's with me?!
                      I am sure we can get to the bottom of it......if someone is willing to sacrifice their trans for the good of the group

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Thats not including the 10% overage you can prob go on most trannies without an issue. Accaully for a FWD car those are decent tranny ratings. The GT automatic can handle like 220 HP from the factory, so a CAI, exhaust, and PCM tune puts you well over that as there what 218 HP? Only RWD cars come can come with huge tranny numbers of 400 HP on a factory car. The GTP 3900 4spd is rated at 280 HP and 280 lbs of torque. And just because you go over the numbers doesnt mean your going to blow it up. Many factors go into over loading a tranny like power at diffrent RPMs and such. The more you go over the factory rating just the more likely the life spaned of the tranny will go down not nessasary blow up.
                        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                        Gotta have it Green color
                        Brembo brake package
                        420 HP 5.0L
                        Ford Racing Power Pack
                        GT500 track pack differential cover
                        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by thestig
                          I have over 300whp (possibly even closer to 330) in my grand prix with a stock 4T65E trans (not the 4T65E-HD) which is the 4spd auto.....
                          The only problem is, depending on your driving, you'll probably go through transmissions faster

On another note here is a vid of a friend's car putting over 600whp down, but its kind of cheating because it was rebuilt with stronger parts so the "how much power will the STOCK trans take" argument kind of goes out the window, but, 624FWHP Grand Prix on a beefed up 4T65E trans =

http://www.oqcgp.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=50473
                          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe - stock
                          1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - Eaton M90 Supercharger (P&P), XP cam, Headers, Northstar TB, 3" Exhaust, Intake, etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X