New convertible owner - System build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New convertible owner - System build

First off - mad props to FLRNEMT for his answers and advice, and for posting pics of his system for inspiration!

Bought the car at Thanksgiving, and started to gather/sell/trade parts. Finally got the past few pieces as Christmas gifts, and went to work at installation yesterday. Sound quality is excellent - I was shooting for quality rather than "boom" and certainly seem to have gotten it right so far.

Head Deck: Eclipse CD5030 - got rid of a Kenwood double din video deck that I was getting tired of and picked this up. I've found I never use video in dash, and have a Droid phone with google maps GPS that can use the bluetooth in the deck. Call quality is great, and I can do audio, video, calls, and navigation from my phone now without switching back and forth. Also has every audio input known to man - USB, ipod, etc.

EQ: AudioControl four.1i - if you've used AudioControl in the past, you know why. If you haven't, you should.

Front Speakers: Polk Audio db series 6.5 components - the tweets fit the stock location with very little trimming, and the woofers dropped right in. Mounted the crossovers in the trunk, and used the factory speaker wires from the monsoon amp to send signal to the components in the doors.

Rear Speakers: Boston 6.5 coax's - had them lying around, and for a location like that they do fine. Running these off the Eclipse head deck.

Subwoofer: Kicker Solo Classic 15" dual 2 ohm - designed for small sealed enclosures, this seemed to be the best fit for the location and amp I was using. Hits very hard, and very clean - great sound, but I do wish it was a little shorter - had to build the box a little taller than I preferred, but everything still fit.

Front speaker amp: Boston GT-40: have it bridged into two channels at 4 ohms each - sending 190 watts RMS per channel to the front components. Way more than they are designed to handle, but I have the gains all the way down, and it pushes them very nicely.

Sub Amp: Boston GT-28: running a lazy 4 ohms, it's pushing 900 RMS to the sub. Stays nice and cool that way. I added a kill switch to the turn on lead, so that when the top is down I can turn off the sub easily.

Trunk design - The idea was to get the max bump in a very small trunk. Other objectives - be able to drop the top with the box in it, keep a small amount of storage for daily driving, and be able to remove everything but the amp rack by myself in under 60 seconds for when more storage capacity is needed. These all seem to be met - the sub box is exactly 1.25 cubic feet for the sub to have perfect airspace, but has hidden handles and a quick disconnect for the speaker wire connections so it can be removed in a heartbeat. The flush panels around it keep it looking neat and tidy, but just lift right out when needed. The amp rack is permanently mounted.

Anyway - that's about it - would love to hear your comments! Thanks for the great site by the way - lots of great knowledge here.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say may be misquoted and used against you.

Re: New convertible owner - System build

Nice - yah we don't have crap for trunk space so might as well fill it up
    CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

We have a contender for a second replacement for Jim.
      2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
      Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
      Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
      2005 CGM GTO.
      386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
      2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Nice work man!

Everything looks really good!

Keith

__________________________________________________ _________________
        Current Mods:e-badged, Re-q5, Custom sub console, Tinted Tails, Custom fiberglass woofer box. 2 Memphis PR's
        In Progress:: Katskinz... Half way there! Painted trim

Comment

Very nice work!

Comment

Look like that shit BUMPS!!!

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
            I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

looks great!
              ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
              .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

holy shit that is clean and looks GREAT. (bet it sounds even better)
                sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

dude nice idea for the sub never thought of that
                  Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
                  JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

WOW!!! i am really impressed with your work! Why the 15 thou.... have you had good experiences with 15s? personally i have never ventured farther than the 12s.

Secondary question... What kind of camera/photo touching are you using/doing. Those pictures are so crisp and they look like they should be in a magizine!

Keep it up!

Comment

Thanks!!!

Looks great!!!

Blue Man Group Member NY Local 123

Comment

Wow - thanks for the feedback all! It does indeed bump pretty good tho - not cranking the bass for a bit until the sub breaks in a little more, but so far it already hits pretty damn decent. Not really designed for SPL though. Went with a 15 this time simply because I've done 12's in probably my last 6 cars - just a change of pace. Also, I'm pretty used to at least 2 subs, so with the trunk space being so limited I wanted to choose one that could move the most air possible It looked like I could probably pull off two 10's, but I've never met a 10 that I liked the sound of...

Oh yeah - I'm a minor photo nut as my other hobby - Nikon D5000, no flash, no editing
                        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say may be misquoted and used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by madcap24
                          Oh yeah - I'm a minor photo nut as my other hobby - Nikon D5000, no flash, no editing

Sweet pictures. I am also a man of Two 12s and with my limited space i put in one 10"

You should drive from MO to Chitown and take some pictures of my car! DAMN those look sweet. i cant wait to see more pictures!

Comment

Your limited space is nothing compared to his limited space lol. Hell you could stick 6 10's in your trunk lol.

I need to get my buddy to take some pix for me. He just sold his camera body for $3000 (some kind of Nikon) and trading it for some kind of cannon. Once it gets in I will get him to get some cool stuff.

He has like 30 grand in camera equipment and doesn't hardly use it so i will put him to some work

__________________________________________________ _________________
                            Current Mods:e-badged, Re-q5, Custom sub console, Tinted Tails, Custom fiberglass woofer box. 2 Memphis PR's
                            In Progress:: Katskinz... Half way there! Painted trim

Comment

Wow, that looks amazing! Nice! You have a very clean and nice interior!

Comment

Working...
                              X