This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plus 1,2,3 tire size conversion

Ok, so if I am reading the calculator correctly, my 6 currently has 225/50R17's on it. If I wanted to get new 18" rims, then 225/45R18's will be the closest I can get (so as to affect the speedo the least), right?

PMJ

Appearance: Tints (35% sides, 20% rear); Chrome Emblem Overlays; De-Badged; Red Calipers; RagingNets Cargo Net; SRP Racing Pedals; XenonDepot 6500k lows; LED Tails & 3rd Brake Light
    Performance: Crab CAB; WAMS 93 Tune
    Sound: Kenwood DNX-8120; Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4 Amp powering JBL GTO627 Fronts & Infinity Kappa 693.9i Rears; JL Audio Slash 250/1v2 Amp powering JL Audio 13TW5 12" Subwoofer

Comment

Based on what I saw from the 1010tires calculator and the Club DSM size comparison calculator, I think you're right.

The stock tire of 225/50-17 is just slightly smaller than the 225/45-18... by 0.47%. This means you're going to be travelling slightly faster than your speedometer reading (and you'll get a free couple of miles on your warranty too! )

Take Care,
      GraniteGrey
      Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

That's good to know - I don't want to have to deal with getting the car flashed or whatever, especially since I just put a Vector tune in...

I think what I would end up doing is getting a set of nice rims/tires for the summer months and using the stock 17's for winter.

Of course, if I find rims I like that come in both 17 and 18, I might as well keep the 17 - can you really see that much of a difference between 17s and 18s?

PMJ

Appearance: Tints (35% sides, 20% rear); Chrome Emblem Overlays; De-Badged; Red Calipers; RagingNets Cargo Net; SRP Racing Pedals; XenonDepot 6500k lows; LED Tails & 3rd Brake Light
        Performance: Crab CAB; WAMS 93 Tune
        Sound: Kenwood DNX-8120; Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4 Amp powering JBL GTO627 Fronts & Infinity Kappa 693.9i Rears; JL Audio Slash 250/1v2 Amp powering JL Audio 13TW5 12" Subwoofer

Comment

foxwoodsdicedealer,

I think there are some who would say that up-sizing to 18's and even larger is fantastic for the look of the car. There may even be performance benefits depending on what wheels (rims) you get - i.e., lighter for example, or better handling because of less sidewall flex. Then there are some that would say to stay away from bigger wheels because you then have slightly less rubber to protect it from pot-hole damage. The marginal difference of sidewall rubber between a 17 and an 18 inch wheel might make a difference... but I doubt it. If you've hit something hard enough to damage an 18" wheel, then the 17" wheel would also likely be damaged. Now a 20" verses a 17", well, I could see that being a more likely problem. Of course, YMMV, etc.

Aside from the cost of buying new wheels, I think the biggest difference between a 17" and an 18" wheel is the cost of the rubber. Even though it takes a little less material to make an 18" tire, they're slightly more expensive than an equivalent 17" tire. I just checked TireRack and they are currently listing the Kumho Ecsta SPT in 225/50-17 for $106 while the 225/45-18 is $116, so ten bucks more per tire. Moving to 19's and 20's is even more expensive again (225/40ZR19's are $167 each... so $61 more per tire!). Only you can decide if that's valuable to you (i.e., changing the car's looks and possible performance gain verses the extra cost).

Relative to your using the OE 17" wheels for the "winter", that's an excellent idea (again, in my opinion). I think winter tires are important. I went the other way though and kept my OE 17's for summer and bought OE 16's for the winter.

Take Care,
          GraniteGrey
          Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

thinking about getting 20x8.5 with 225-30-20 in front and 20X9 with 235-30-20 in the back.
            will this be a problem for my gt coupe. also i live in winnipeg and our streets are terrible, but will the ride really be that much worse

Comment

pointless to go wider in back on a FWD car. thats like putting a lift kit on a 4x2 truck. also 20x8.5 is to big for our cars. you will rub

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
              Originally posted by ahuhn
              so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by splice View Post
                I live in winnipeg and our streets are terrible, but will the ride really be that much worse
                Yes it really will.
                Current Mods
                245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
                Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

also I dont think 225 will fit on a 8.5" rim. as Im running 225 on a 7" rim. unless you are going for the "hella flush" look then no

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                  so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

so if i want to go with the biggest rim, lowest profile tire and widest tire what would be suggested. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

20x8 rim is the biggest you can get probably a 235-35-20 tire but others can talk more about it. you dont want to go to low pro with bad roads unless you have money to buy new rims all the time

Comment

Working...
                      X