Wax for rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax for rims?

So I'm going to be puttin my stock 17" chrome wheels back on for the winter with my snow tires. So I was wondering if there was something like a wax I could use to protect my stockers from getting abused by the MI winter. All info is much appreciated!
    Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
    INDIAN WARRIORS
    1926-2010

Re: Wax for rims?

I just did the same exact thing, you have a few options: you could put a coat of wax on the rims and buff to a white hue ( the hue you buff your car to before you remove the wax) and leave it on, it will protect it from the salt and crap on the roads then in the spring wash and buff the wax off and for storage do another coat.

or do what I do know which is use blue magic chrome polish it leaves a silicone film on your rim and things don't stick to it for a few weeks and it helps out with any pitting you might have on next application

or go to the kitchen and grab some pam, or pledge and spray the rims, with the pledge you can buff it and it makes it a smooth non-stick surface

pledge works great for snow mobiles and helmets too !!!
    15% tint front windows, 5% rear sides,rear,and windshield banner. red brake calipers. slotted and drilled rotors. 3 million l.e.d. underbody light kit (seldom used). 18" solstice rims with 245/40/18. Hammerhead spoiler. 2 10" eclipse subs in a sealed box. Monsoon stereo. Acoustic amps.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3300730

Originally posted by vballchic1023
    Being bent over the hood on a back road is fun as well

Comment

you have the 17in chrome tech's?
      I use mothers paste wax wich is the same stuff I use on the car! It makes them easer to clean and shines up the rims nice.

....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
      .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

"17in chrome techs" I think these are the chrome techs?
        Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
        INDIAN WARRIORS
        1926-2010

Comment

There is no benefits of adding wax to your wheels. In the end the salt will remove it.

You just have to live with it.
          Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

I respectfully disagree I find them to look better, clean easer and road tar/break dust dosent seem to stick to the chrome as easy.
            now truth be told I do wax them offten so it dosent get the chance to wear off like you said. but if you keep up on them it does help alot. IMO
            ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
            .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

First of all thanks for all of the usefull info from everyone. I just read on a few other sites that people that use the Mothers pure Carnuba wax say that that seams to hold up nicely, so thats what I'll be trying next weekend while its still reasonably warm in MI.

Second of all congrats to Me for my 100th post!!! I have learned a lot and cant wait to keep contributing to the Best G6 Forum.

RIP
              INDIAN WARRIORS
              1926-2010

Comment

Poorboy's Wheel Sealant is used by many on Autopia.org including myself. It helps a lot with brake dust build up but as far as salt goes? im not sure.
                Installed - Crab CAB Intake, Borbet Type XL In Black wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide Oval, Hammerhead, Lowered, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, HID's DDM tuning 55w 10k Low 35W 8k Fog, LED Tail Light Bulbs, Racingline Strut Bar Painted Red, R1 Concepts CD/S Front and Rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads, 25mm H&R Wheel Spacers, GTR (Pending Delivery)

Future Mods - Window Tint, GXP Rear Bumper, Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights, LED Turn Signals, Audi Headlight Mod, Upper/Lower Recessed Grilles, Energy Suspension Sway Bushings, Engine Tune

Comment

DO NOT WAX THE CHROMETECH RIMS

They are powder coated and wax will tear off the finish!

Comment

I used to was the chrometech rims on my grand am with mothers chrome polish. made them look great and never had a problem with the finish. It really helped keep the grime from the winter down to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Tborske
                      DO NOT WAX THE CHROMETECH RIMS

They are powder coated and wax will tear off the finish!
                      I don't know what was in that crack pipe u just put down but that sure as shit isn't powder coat. Those chrometechs have a plastic outer shell and you can't Powder coat plastic.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

RIP
                      INDIAN WARRIORS
                      1926-2010

Comment

Originally posted by grfnkl
                        I used to was the chrometech rims on my grand am with mothers chrome polish. made them look great and never had a problem with the finish. It really helped keep the grime from the winter down to a minimum.
                        This is what my buddy uses on his chrome rims.

Comment

Working...
                        X