This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbos and Superchargers

I know every turbo and supercharger thread gets shot to bits but I was hoping we could keep this civil and provide solid information. My friend mentioned the idea to me just a short while ago. I understand that our car faces many problems including the transmission strength. The install of the turbo system itself I dont think would be too difficult I have a fully stocked garrage with plasma cutters, torches, full sockets sets ect. Or I could call New Era Performance and see if they would install it for me. However with the knowledge of a veteran Automotive Engineer (my neighbor) and a couple of knowledgeable friends I think I could make this happen if I concentrate on saving the money needed. So what im looking for here out of you guys is the required supporting mods to make this work.

If I recall correctly the transmissions can hold roughly 300hp and tourque? They offer an HD upgrade kit, how much will it hold then?
    Would solid motor mounts be required?

Thanks and once again please dont kill me for asking.
    Installed - Crab CAB Intake, Borbet Type XL In Black wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide Oval, Hammerhead, Lowered, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, HID's DDM tuning 55w 10k Low 35W 8k Fog, LED Tail Light Bulbs, Racingline Strut Bar Painted Red, R1 Concepts CD/S Front and Rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads, 25mm H&R Wheel Spacers, GTR (Pending Delivery)

Future Mods - Window Tint, GXP Rear Bumper, Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights, LED Turn Signals, Audi Headlight Mod, Upper/Lower Recessed Grilles, Energy Suspension Sway Bushings, Engine Tune

Re: STS turbo systems

I'm sure the more knowledgable turbo people will reply soon, but the biggest problem you are going to have is tuning it.

that's seems to be the roadblock so far
    CRAB Option 2 w/AEM Filter, Flowmaster 80 Series Exhaust

Comment

Actually tuning is covered, New Era Performance has a dyno and they specialize in GM cars so im sure he would have no problem taking on my car. Ill give him a call closer to the time Ill be able to buy it if I do, See what he says.
      Installed - Crab CAB Intake, Borbet Type XL In Black wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide Oval, Hammerhead, Lowered, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, HID's DDM tuning 55w 10k Low 35W 8k Fog, LED Tail Light Bulbs, Racingline Strut Bar Painted Red, R1 Concepts CD/S Front and Rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads, 25mm H&R Wheel Spacers, GTR (Pending Delivery)

Future Mods - Window Tint, GXP Rear Bumper, Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights, LED Turn Signals, Audi Headlight Mod, Upper/Lower Recessed Grilles, Energy Suspension Sway Bushings, Engine Tune

Comment

Go For IT!!!!
        87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
        90 Eagle Talon TSI
        09 G6 Progression(New Car)
        My Progression

Comment

While I really wanted to go the appearance route getting the AIT bodykit and hood, I think this will be better overall. I will also recive high praise from the people here if I actually do this lol.

The way the STS system is designed having the Air filter at the bottom of the car makes me worry about hydrolocking in bad rain, any imput?

Comment

You should be fine with air filter down there.
            87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
            90 Eagle Talon TSI
            09 G6 Progression(New Car)
            My Progression

Comment

they have a kit where they reroute the air filter into the front fender well... like were the people the dr speed intake have it so it shouldnt be that much of a worry if you go that route.
              Mods: Intake resonator removed GTR Exhaust 30% Tint Front 15% Back Crab Intake WAMS 93 octane tune RLP street motor mounts, Debaged, Destriped, and Dashhawk. Infinity Kappa door speakers, Kicker cvx 12, Pioneer AVH-3200 BT Deck, Kicker 700.5 amp

Comment

the turbo and supercharger thread should have boat loads of info on the trans aspect.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                Show
                -20% tint
                -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Alright solid, well with that out of the way everything looks good. After doing some quick research it seems the 4 speed auto is actually quite durable and should have no problem holding the kind of power it should be making. Ill keep looking in to this but after a solid tune this car should run just fine.

Comment

hmmmm i always wondered about the injectors but i guess just like 5psi of boost the stock injectors will be fine right? anyways i cant wait to see how it goes if you end up doing this ive been wanting to do this with my 3.9 ever since i got it!
                    Mods: Intake resonator removed GTR Exhaust 30% Tint Front 15% Back Crab Intake WAMS 93 octane tune RLP street motor mounts, Debaged, Destriped, and Dashhawk. Infinity Kappa door speakers, Kicker cvx 12, Pioneer AVH-3200 BT Deck, Kicker 700.5 amp

Comment

On low PSI street applications where boost is kept between 5-8 pounds I would be suprised if I needed larger injectors. The STS systems are meant to be bolt on power so for them to make it so you need larger injectors goes against their plan. Realilisticly I could see needing them when running around 12 pounds or more and thats pushing it big time.

Comment

yea thats what i figured but i know there ford mustan v6 kit comes with the larger cobra injectors... but yea it should be good

Comment

You will definitely need injectors to run over about 6lbs of boost. Most STS Kits require a fuel system upgrade to do anything worthwhile. You may also need a fuel pump as well the G6 fuel system is fine for stock but not adequate for any serious power.
                          Chris White
                          http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
                          2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
                          2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
                          2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
                          2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
                          2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

And we dont have aftermarket injectors or fuel pumps available do we?

How many pounds of boost do you think that pump can handle without problems?

Comment

How much? and were can i get one

Comment

Working...
                              X