Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTAKE!(Any Info or questions post here except delivery inf)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INTAKE!(Any Info or questions post here except delivery inf)

Post anything to do with Intakes here.

Please keep in mind the 10000000000 Intake threads out there. But any further questions/comments place in this thread, and please keep the off topic posts in that section. I don't want this thread getting to 20 pages of crap.

Thanks
    Jordie

Hey guys I've cleaned up some of the rift raft, I don't mind if question are asked over and over again, but if you don't want to wait and you have some time try reading you might find what you're looking for.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

I just put on a custom intake and now I have a CEL that stays on and a traction control light with a slash through it that stays on also. The manual says that the CEL is for emissions problems and I can understand that but the traction control light troubles me because the manual says that it is a problem with the traction control but it never happened until I put on the intake.
    Also, on the stock intake near the butterfly valve opening (?) there is a plug that goes on the little nozzle right near where the intake connects and now that I have a custom intake it is just hanging there ( with electrical tape on it as of post time) and I'm wondering what it is. ?Vacuum line? Do I need to put a nozzle and attach it to the new intake? Could it be the source of some of my problems?(car related problems -haha) Will the dealership give me a hard time if I take it in with the new intake on it? Thanks for any help
    bigben

2006 G6 GTP Coupe 6spd

Comment

dealership prob won't like it since they could deny you warranty work bc of it...it's hard to understand your problem without pics....got any?
      -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
      Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Your PCV vent tube is just hanging there? yeah, emissions trouble. The Injen intake doesn't fit directly to the 06 GTP if I remember correctly.
        2006 G6 GTP Coupe
        :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
        :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
        :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

what should I do with that vent valve?
          bigben

2006 G6 GTP Coupe 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by bigben
            what should I do with that vent valve?
            I just cut that Adaptor off and put a length of rubber tubing on it then ran it into the rubber elbow onto the TB I used a half inch plastic nozle and syliconed it in there.
            2009 Panther Black G8 GT
            334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

I just cut the vent tube, attached a small tube on the end and ran it to a nozzle I put in the rubber elbow attached to the throttle body. I drove it after doing this and the CEL turned off but the TC light was on. Then after lunch I was on my way home and as soon as the car started the CEL was back. I get a little nervous with those lights on and I want to exhaust every option before I put the stock intake back and take it into the dealer to check the TC light. I'm fairly certain the CEL is from the new intake but the TC light bothers me. Any help would be appreciated.
              bigben

2006 G6 GTP Coupe 6spd

Comment

here's my new intake
                also a video with my brother driving, how does it sound

[img][/img]

bigben

2006 G6 GTP Coupe 6spd

Comment

After I installed the Dr. Speed CAB I noticed that the OEM air tube across the front of the engine bay was looser than the OEM setup. And the passenger side corner of the tube, where it bends to meet the MAF, moved enough that it could bang into other parts if the car hit a big enough bump in the road. (Maybe I did something wrong?)

So I decided to make up a small mounting bracket that connected one side of the MAF mounting flange to the new Dr. Speed air box.

I bought a 3/4" x 1/2" angle bracket at a local hardware store. Each leg is 3/4" long and the bracket is 1/2" wide. It actually came 4 to a package, which was good so I could experient a bit. I bent one bracket until it was little less than 45 degrees and matched the angle of the MAF flange to the CAB air box.

To use the bracket with the CAB I had to replace the hardware for the front mounting bracket. A 1/4-20 x 1/2" long bolt, washers, and hext nut held the box to its original mount and also fit the hole in the new bracket.

To connect the front MAF flange to the new bracket I used a 10-24 x 1/2" long bolt, washers, and hex nut. In both spots I used a Truss bolt because it has a larger head so I didn't have to worry about it coming through the hole in the CAB air box or the bracket at the MAF flange.

When I tightened everything down the new filter, the MAF, and the OEM air tube all stay in place much better than before.

In this pic 'A' is the the new bracket above, 'B' is the 1/4-20 hardware, and 'C' is the 10-24 hardware.

Finally, some people have been discussing connecting the CAB to the air outlet on the bottom of the MPD ram air hood. One of the nice things about the Dr. Speed CAB is that it opens up a lot more space for a duct up to the hood. This pic and the dimensions are with a 3900 engine. The 3500 and others would probably have even more room.

I'm not convinced the standard MPD air duct will work well, however. It was desiged for the OEM air box and I think a better solution is needed to connect the hood to the Dr. Speed CAB.
                  (Rev) Greg :: 2006 Fusion Orange GTP Coupe auto - 35% tint - MPD hood - Razzi wing- Dr. Speed CAB - GTR exhaust - GM STB - caliper paint/decals - mesh lower grilles - more to come

Comment

CAI installed finally

Well, I got my cold air intake. Fit pretty well, considering its for a 2.2L Cobalt. Had small fitment issues with the MAF sensor, but nothing a die grinder couldnt convince.

As far as gains, I can only judge "seat of the pants"... But.... fuck placebos, this intake did a LOT. The stock 2.4 intake is garbage. Throttle response, top end, and semi-more-importantly SOUND! When matched with the B&m shift plus I have, now I spin into second at WOT. Suer as hell didn't before.

I'll post pictures and sound if anyone is interested. The only problem is Im getting an idiot light that Im 99.9% sure is a "System too lean" code. Did any of you V6'ers get this code?
                    2007 G5 Base Model
                    Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

no problem with cel...and post the pics and vid

Comment

As soon as my roomate gets back I'll nab his camera.
                        2007 G5 Base Model
                        Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

still no pics
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

What kind of CAI did you get? I know there's a few choices out there for the Cobalt (AEM and Injen seem most popular).

Been thinking about putting one on my fiance's G5 but find it hard to justify the $200+ price tag.

Comment

I have a Weapon R intake that I had on my ecotec sitting in my garage, hint hint
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X