Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXHAUST!(Any Info or questions post here)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXHAUST!(Any Info or questions post here)

Post anything to do with exhaust here.

Please keep in mind the 10000000000 exhaust threads out there. But any further questions/comments place in this thread, and please keep the off topic posts in that section. I don't want this thread getting to 20 pages of crap.

Thanks
    Jordie

Hey guys I've cleaned up some of the rift raft, I don't mind if question are asked over and over again, but if you don't want to wait and you have some time try reading you might find what you're looking for.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Stupid Question

Might be a stupid question, but I figure the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. So....there shouldn't be any problems with passing emissions tests, right? Does the whole "cat-back" term mean "behind the catalytic converter"?

Eh, I'm so clueless when it comes to some of this stuff. Sad thing is, I work at Monro Muffler's headquarters (50% discount ).

It looks to me like the long, stock catalytic converter is replaced with a straight "replacement" pipe. Am I wrong?

Basically all I want to know is that when I have the GT-R kit installed I'm not going to be told that I failed inspection because of emissions

Also, is there a DynoMax kit # for these? Monro buys most of their exhaust stuff from Tenneco (Walker). I just looked in the 2006 catalog and they don't have anything listed for G6's. It probably wouldn't be much different than the GT-R system. Plus, it'd save me mucho $$$.
    Mike III
    '06 Electric Blue GTP

Dr. Speed CAB w/S&B, 20% Marquise Tint
    Next Up - Strut Bar, Lowering Springs, GT-R

Comment

the long thing that the GT-R kit replaces is an exhaust resonator, not a catalytic converter. the cats should remain unchanged with the GT-R system and it will still pass emmisions.

Comment

jeffnles1- A Resonator simply adds a bit more muffling to the exhaust (Or intake) It’s usually used to get rid of that last bit of raspynes from stock exhaust systems.
        2009 Panther Black G8 GT
        334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

It’s usually used to get rid of that last bit of raspynes from stock exhaust systems.
          So, is the resonator just a section of larger pipe, or is it some kind of muffler with baffles?

Jeff
          My 07 G6 Convertible
          http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
          http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

Maybe these (2) pics should be able to shed some light.

Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I already took off my muffler, Im gonna take the resonator off today, as I further my weight reduction... Its probably gonna be too Honda-ish... but either way, I'll let everyone know how it sounds, lol. If I had the means, I would record it, but I cant.
              2007 G5 Base Model
              Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by Eco_JUNK
                I already took off my muffler, Im gonna take the resonator off today, as I further my weight reduction... Its probably gonna be too Honda-ish... but either way, I'll let everyone know how it sounds, lol. If I had the means, I would record it, but I cant.
                I'm no expert, but doesn't your engine need some back pressure? Can't running it with no muffler or resonator cause damage?
                SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

Learn something new every day. I'm from the old school and am not all that familiar with the exhaust systems on newer cars (post 60's muscle cars are new to me). I've not had any newer car in the past 15 years of so that had any performance image or any performance (mostly pickup trucks, SUV's and a couple mid-size boring sedans). The G6 Vert is the first new car I've owned in the past 20 years that had any kind of performance appeal. Even though it is more of a cruiser than a true performance car, I'm still excited about its potential.

So, back to the topic, based on the pictures above, the resonater is simply a muffler somewhere in-line between the cats and the final muffler. Is it restrictive? Does it rob horsepower through creating more restriction in the pipes, or is it so free flowing that all it does is manage sound but has no impact on power?

Jeff
                  My 07 G6 Convertible
                  http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
                  http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

Resonators
                    On your typical cat-back exhaust system, you'll see a couple of bulges in the piping that are apparently mini-mufflers out to help the big muffler that hangs out back. These are called Helmholtz Resonators and are very similar to glasspacks. The main difference is that firstly, there is no sound-absorbing fiberglass or steel wool in a Resonator. And secondly, their main method of silencing is the reflective principle, not absorption. An easy way to tell the difference between a glasspack and a true Helmholtz Resonator is to "ping" one with your finger. A glasspack will make a dull thud, and a true Resonator will make a clear "ping!" sound.

I pulled this from another website.
                    Here is the rest, alot of good information there.
                    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by "Tin_Indian_G6
                      I'm no expert, but doesn't your engine need some back pressure? Can't running it with no muffler or resonator cause damage?
                      Engines need backpressure, yes. But modern FI engines have the abiltiy to recalibrate the fuel map when a loss of backpressure occurs (hence the increase in horsepower with a catback system). Unlike old carb engines that need to be re-jetted if theres a big loss in back pressure (like gutting the cats and running straight pipes). But the exhaust on my car even without the res and muffler still has the catalytic convertor, flexpipe, and some piping which gives plenty of backpressure, especially for a 4 banger.

I decided not to take off the res though, I dig the deep sound. But I did pull off about 15+ lbs of plastic lining from the fender well, the area above the radiator with the A/C info, and the stock air filter resonator assembly.
                      2007 G5 Base Model
                      Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Backpressure is the biggest misconception when it comes to exhaust. You don’t want ANY for peak HP. you want exhaust gas velocity
                        2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                        334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Velocity and turbulance are the 2 factors basically. Most people that spend all day at the track are shooting for peak hp, because after a launch the car shouldn't really see below 4000 rpm. For street driving torque is needed for those fun romps to 60 mph... thats why they invented cat backs. For the BEST performance at the track, open headers with a tune and a high stall. Period. Be it a 1.6L Honda or an 8.1 Liter Chevy 3500.
                          2007 G5 Base Model
                          Black 5 Speed

Comment

Has anyone tried to swap from a single muffler to a duel muffler. I have a G6 V6 and wanted the duel muffler like on the GTP. Is it just simply buying a duel muffler and adding another cut out or is it more complicated then that?

Comment

you can just add the GTP exhaust right onto it and cut out the valence (i think one person on here cut it) but it would look better if you bought the rear gtp valence (plenty of people have done this)
                              -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                              Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Working...
                              X