Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXHAUST!(Any Info or questions post here)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swg6
    Has anyone tried to swap from a single muffler to a duel muffler. I have a G6 V6 and wanted the duel muffler like on the GTP. Is it just simply buying a duel muffler and adding another cut out or is it more complicated then that?
    the GTP has a single muffler but it is a dual-outlet muffler. it should bolt right up to a 3.5 exhaust but like blackGTP said you will either need to cut your stock valence or buy the GTP valence to allow for the second tip.

and several members have done dual muffler setups and they seem to be happy with them.

Comment

Well, I finally got my "new" exhaust up on rackstands / lift...

Let me just tell you about the worst, piss poor, hack ass job of an exhaust i've ever seen...

A 2yr old could have made better welds with it's eyes closed... Ok, i realize that it might be hard to weld exhaust pipes, but come on, it isn't like there was any rust or serious dirt caking, the damn car is only 2800 miles old...

AHHHH, they use a rebent ubold as an exhaust hander and cut and welded in part of my old exhaust to the new exhaust... They claimed that it took them all day.... I don't doubt it, it takes 10 x longer to screw something up this severely...

BEWARE Monro on PAXTON St. BEWARE!

I will let them keep my deposit, but I will be disputing the rest of it due to faulty product in accordance with my VISA cardholders agreement...

This shit wasn't just bad, it was dangerous... I'm sooo glad I took it elsewhere...

Now I truly will be getting a custom cat-back with someone that I can trust now... best part, it will be 220 dollars cheaper!!!!!!!!!

UGH, I'M SOOOO PISSED...

excuse my rant...

All of this is thanks to a little girl making fun of my car today... A LITTLE GIRL!!!!

now that is embarrassing...

I'll try to get the new exhaust place to take pictures of this pile... i'll need them for the dispute anyway.
      2006 6.0 LS2 GTO Metallic Black
      2007 3.5 VVT G6 Liquid Silver - Gone.

Comment

What!?!

Well, that's not good to hear. I work here at the Monro headquarters. I know the techs usually put a lot of pride and effort into their work.

I wouldn't recommend having them do "custom" exhaust work though. They mostly only know how to put together kits and stuff like that. Some welders are obviously better than others. From the sounds of it just about everyone is better than this guy.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I am sure they will handle your dispute and might even repair it for really cheap (maybe even free?).

I'd recommend finding a complete setup though and taking it to them or ordering it through them rather than having them build something. Why not just get the GT-R? I know how expensive custom jobs can be, especially if you take it to a chain auto repair shop.
        Mike III
        '06 Electric Blue GTP

Dr. Speed CAB w/S&B, 20% Marquise Tint
        Next Up - Strut Bar, Lowering Springs, GT-R

Comment

Re: What!?!

Originally posted by SubliMike
          Well, that's not good to hear. I work here at the Monro headquarters. I know the techs usually put a lot of pride and effort into their work.

I wouldn't recommend having them do "custom" exhaust work though. They mostly only know how to put together kits and stuff like that. Some welders are obviously better than others. From the sounds of it just about everyone is better than this guy.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I am sure they will handle your dispute and might even repair it for really cheap (maybe even free?).

I'd recommend finding a complete setup though and taking it to them or ordering it through them rather than having them build something. Why not just get the GT-R? I know how expensive custom jobs can be, especially if you take it to a chain auto repair shop.
          Well, I did try to give them a chance to fix it, but they kept giving me the run-around...

I was very close to purchasing a GT-R... But at the time, these guys were making some big claims and from they way they talked it appeared as though they knew something about something... Turns out they didn't know shit from a wet fart...

I know guys take pride in their work, but how can you seriously call a job like that complete and even look at yourself in the mirror...

The new place is going to charge me 450 installed... We just decided to dump what they put into place... Since it's only a block from Monro, if the guys at monro want their "quality" work back, they can have it and see if they can sell it to another g6 owner after they see how "nice" it looks...

Just to clarify, I have nothing against Monro the company, just against shops that get themselves into more than they can handle...

Oh well. Live and learn...

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
            Ahh man that sucks. I like my setup, specially at idle, but if your on it hard it gets a little raspy, but whatever, i think i will redo it within a year or so anyway.
            Here are a couple pics of the "quality job" that monro did...
            My camera died before I could take any more... Including the flowmaster 40 series they tried to pass off as a dynomax.

I didn't get a chance to take a pic of the worst weld ever.

And now, the pics.

Reused factory hanger.

Ubold bent/welded

And the new exhaust...

Comment

ok what about a an exhaust cut-out http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN5002/G6EXH/Qui ... utout.html
              would this be worth a try? i am planning on getting the exhaust from gt-r and i was wondering if this would be worthwhile to put in for a little fun
              G6's r the tits....lol

Comment

Originally posted by bobgtp06
                ok what about a an exhaust cut-out http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN5002/G6EXH/Qui ... utout.html
                would this be worth a try? i am planning on getting the exhaust from gt-r and i was wondering if this would be worthwhile to put in for a little fun
                You would have to tune the engine for it, then have the capability to switch back and forth on the tuning.

Comment

i would have to tune it? wouldn't this just releive all of the back pressure of the exhaust system?........i am confused

Yes. this part would change your fuel requirement, and you'd only want to use it at a track.

Comment

Originally posted by GT-R
                    i would have to tune it? wouldn't this just releive all of the back pressure of the exhaust system?........i am confused

Yes. this part would change your fuel requirement, and you'd only want to use it at a track.
                    Only if you put it behind the header. If you put it between the cat and muffler (like under the back seats) you should be okay. But for the price of an electric cut out and a quality weld job, just get a cat back! :P
                    2007 G5 Base Model
                    Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

I had an epiphany. Taking into consideration a few fellow 4 banger owners can verify this... Basically... Any horsepower/torque gain due to a reduction in backpressure from the stock 2 1/4" exhaust on the 2.4L ecotec G6 with little to no mods is going to be zero to negative. (get all that?)

One gentleman has a Magnaflow on his and could swear the car feels slower (although its supposed to sound great). I cut off mine behind the resonator, then put it back on (tried to sell the car, but couldn't) and it feels like it pulls harder with the exhaust back on.

This could be a few things.

1. The open exhaust cuts the torque down low a little bit, but by the G6 being heavy by nature (and mated to shit for a transmission) it ampifies the sluggisness at an exponential level. However it gains top end because as RPM's grow, so does the need to expel more ezhaust more quickly.

2. The stock exhaust is 2 1/4".... HUGE for a 4 cylinder. The stock piping on the 3.5 and even 3.9 as far as I know.. is 2 1/4". So thats already big as hell for a 4 cylinder. And by opening that up, the engine is just loosing way too much backpressure and the exhaust can't keep up the velocity.

3. I'm just crazy, and the car is actually faster opened up, but since its louder and drones more it feels slower, because the exhaust doesn't match the performance.

I'm thinking its a combination of 1 and 2. Any thoughts/input? Am I a total loser that just needs to take a nap or pick up a book?
                      2007 G5 Base Model
                      Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by RicJilla22
                        Originally posted by GT-R
                        Originally posted by revgregd
                        Slight change of topic ... has anyone tried using a different muffler in the GT-R exhaust system either for a different tone or even to try to get more performance? Don't have my GT-R system yet but want to plan ahead for anything that can be done with this exhaust.
                        You can always go to another muffler, but I tried several different types, and didn't like the sound. This set up came the closest to sounding like a Porsche or an exotic european, while still making a nice gain in performance.

Working with a v6 is tricky, if your not carefull, you'll end up with an obnoxious sound, or that of the infamous ricer.
                        This is exactly what I am trying to avoid on my car.... GT-R, what exhaust did you go with for your car?????

I went with the exact same system I sell. Absolutely nothing different on my own car.

Comment

ANyone interested in a borla system

I spoke to borla product development today and by mid march they will have two systems out for the g6. GTP will have a full dual system from the converters w resonaters. The other options are a single out high flow system for non gtp cars. Just thought you would like to know. Also the gtp system will be around 900 and the single system shuld be around 575.
                          6spd silver g6 is my daily driver. love the car too many problems

Comment

One really cheap way I heard inproves the sound is by taking out the middle muffler and just putting a straight pipe in the middle section. So insted of the exhaust going threw the cats into the muffler then into the resonator at the back. It only goes threw the cats and the resonator. Not 100 percet sure how it sound on the G6, but my buddy did it to his mom's Magnum and it sound pretty good.

Comment

dont you have it backwards? I thought the resonator was in the middle on our car and the muffler was in the back (the tub )
                              BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

Yeah the resonator is in the middle section, muffler at the back.

Comment

Working...
                                X