RIP Saturn 1985-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Saturn 1985-2010

Saturn fans will be saddened to hear that the brand is about to be history. Penske Automotive Group (PAG) and General Motors have been in the final stag

BREAKING: Penske walks away from Saturn deal, brand to "wind down"
    by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Sep 30th 2009 at 4:55PM

Saturn fans will be saddened to hear that the brand is about to be history. Penske Automotive Group (PAG) and General Motors have been in the final stages of negotiations to transfer the brand, but late this afternoon, both parties issued statements that Penske was walking away from the deal.

The reason cited by Penske for the deal's demise is difficulty in securing a supply of product beyond the end of 2010. GM had agreed to continue supplying the Outlook, Aura and Vue until the end of next year, at which point Penske would get other automakers to produce vehicles to sell through the Saturn dealer network.

It was originally believed that Penske had a deal with Renault, possibly supplying vehicles from its South Korean subsidiary, Renault-Samsung Motors. However, the other automaker's board of directors rejected the deal, leaving Penske out in the cold. In the wake of the news, GM announced that it would wind down Saturn and close all the dealerships. After Saturn dealers close, Saturn owners will be able to get service from other GM dealers. You can read the official statements from both Penske and GMchronicling the demise of Saturn after the jump.

[Sources: Penske Automotive Group, General Motors | Image Source: Bill Pugliano/Getty]

PRESS RELEASES

Penske Automotive Terminates Discussions with General Motors to Acquire Saturn

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Penske Automotive Group, Inc. (NYSE: PAG) an international automotive retailer, today announced that it has terminated its discussions with General Motors Company ("GM") to acquire the Saturn brand, citing concerns directly related to the future supply of vehicles beyond the supply period it had negotiated with GM.

Since announcing its discussions with GM on June 5, 2009, the company has been in the due diligence process to determine the feasibility of developing an independent distribution model for Saturn-branded products and service parts in the United States, including the sourcing of vehicles from GM and other potential suppliers. The company had negotiated a definitive agreement with GM to source vehicles on a contract-manufactured basis for a period of time. After this period, the company would have been required to source vehicles from another third party under a similar contract-manufacturing agreement.

Penske Automotive Group negotiated the terms and conditions of an agreement with another manufacturer; however, that agreement was rejected by that manufacturer's board of directors. Without that agreement, the company has determined that the risks and uncertainties related to the availability of future products prohibit the company from moving forward with this transaction.

General Motors Media Statement Attributed President & CEO Fritz Henderson

Today we learned that Penske Automotive Group (PAG) has decided to terminate discussions with General Motors to acquire Saturn. This is very disappointing news and comes after months of hard work by hundreds of dedicated employees and Saturn retailers who tried to make the new Saturn a reality. PAG's announcement explained that their decision was not based on interactions with GM or Saturn retailers; rather it was because of the inability to source new products beyond what it had asked GM to build on contract.

As a result of PAG's decision, we will be winding down the Saturn brand and dealership network, in accordance with the wind-down agreements that Saturn dealers recently signed with GM. Pursuant to the terms of those agreements, the wind down process will be determined and communicated shortly.

Saturn customers and owners will continue to be able to purchase and have their vehicles serviced at Saturn retailers during this process. Once the wind down is complete, Saturn owners will still be able to have their vehicles serviced at other GM dealerships. We will be communicating with our customers very soon to explain the next steps in this process.

Today's disappointing news comes at a time when we'd hoped for a successful launch of the Saturn brand into a new chapter. We will be working closely with our dealers to ensure Saturn customers are cared for as we transition them to other GM dealers in the months ahead. I'd also like to thank every GM employee and Saturn retailer who worked so hard to try to make this new beginning happen for Saturn.
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Re: RIP Saturn 1985-2010

Woah, I didnt see that one coming....
    Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

What the FUCKEN HELL! this is how I find out!! thru the internet!!! They were sapose to be signing the deal today!!!!

they were in the dealership signing papers twice in the last two weeks.

....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
      .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

And another one bites the dust
        Mods: Cquence Cross drilled/ slotted rotors, 5% tint back windows 35% up front, Flashtech 6k hids, eyelids, blacked out door trim
        soon to come: painted calipers, eibach pro kit

Comment

Saturn REALLY turned around in the last few years...
          Im quite upset, I like all of thier current cars!

Sorry to hear this, maybe somebody else will step up in the coming months and take Saturn on.
          A complete dealer network throughout N. America is very valueable to any foreign brands trying to get thier foot in the door.
          2008 Pontiac G6 GXP -AIT Kit - Rear Tint - 18s - Coming Soon: Tinted Tails, GT-R,
          2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
          1982 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Comment

Like I said that was my opinion.

Comment

And its my opinion that youre a cockfag...

Comment

Really surprised by that, thought over the past few years Saturn was turning around to be a much better looking cars and that when GM hit this someone would have seen that and takin over. Oh well poor Saturn

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo64
                  Really surprised by that, thought over the past few years Saturn was turning around to be a much better looking cars and that when GM hit this someone would have seen that and takin over. Oh well poor Saturn

I found that the new Saturn Vue Redline looks kick ass. I like it alot more than the new equinox LTZ... Plus...the Sky is always nice too.

Comment

Fish, BigV... no more going back and forth in the thread. It's done. Don't even respond to this comment If it keeps going those posts will be gone and you guys will get warnings.
                    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms

2005 CGM GTO.
                    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by jedi3
                      What the FUCKEN HELL! this is how I find out!! thru the internet!!! They were sapose to be signing the deal today!!!!

I'm not supprised. Many dealerships that got Axed when they decided to reduce the dealership network found out they were getting axed by relatives who read/saw it before they did.

Read this to get what I mean.. it also has a YouTube video I watched that makes it sound very close to this.

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan

I'm not supprised. Many dealerships that got Axed when they decided to reduce the dealership network found out they were getting axed by relatives who read/saw it before they did.

Read this to get what I mean.. it also has a YouTube video I watched that makes it sound very close to this.
                        http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/30/r...-story-on-you/

I saw that today too woody and it was well done!
                        one of the things I got out of the video is that the government protected the auto company's but not the auto dealers and auto industry non union workers ect. Also how ugly it can be between the closing dealer and the auto company.
                        ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
                        .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

Originally posted by BigV11
                          Ehhhh saturn is gay anyways and they don't really have any good cars either.

funny how your G6 and the Aura are the same exact car underneath, so is your car GAY then too?
                          i did see something disturbing on the internet the other day... apparently g6 is an abbreviation for GAY SEX haha

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=G6 (third one down)

also its in the top ten cars for gay people:

http://gaylife.about.com/od/gayproductr ... aycars.htm

so technically i guess it is gay hahah
                          06 g6 gt
                          Doctor Speed Stage 3 intake.
                          91 Octane WAMS Tune.
                          Dashhawk

Comment

Comment

**Insert Joker Clapping His Hands**

Bravo GM, Bravo. God this pisses me off.

Yep... pretty sure I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever own another GM for as long as I live.
                              106,000 MILES!
                              There are gateway drugs... and then gateway mods. BOTH ARE ADDICTING WATCH THE F*** OUT!
                              Now that I'm done with college, I realize how boring everyday life is.

Comment

Working...
                              X