Subject: Starter Engaged After Engine Starts #PIP3550D

Models: 2005-2006 Buick Terraza
    2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu
    2005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander
    2005-2006 Pontiac G6, Montana SV6
    2005-2006 Saturn Relay
    with 3.5 LX9

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that the starter motor stays engaged or doesn't release from the engine after the engine has started. Most comments received indicate that this condition only lasts a few seconds and usually occurs on a warm or hot engine restart after the engine has been turned off for a period of time. Dealer may have to drive the vehicle for a distance and then shut off for a short period of time to duplicate.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Engineering is currently developing a new service calibration for the PCM to correct this condition. At the present time the calibrations are expected to be available and a bulletin released in September, in the meantime do NOT replace the starter motor/solenoid, flexplate (flywheel) or other components in an attempt to correct this condition.

THIS INFO WAS GIVEN TO ME AFTER I COMPLAINED ABOUT THE OVER CRANKING. IS THIS BOGUS???

Not bogus. It's something that GM claims to be working on. I doubt that they'll ever fix it, because every GM v6 that I've ever driven has had the same issue.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Can't answer about the 3.5 engine but I just picked my car up after they flashed the PCM to correct the issue in my 3.9. THAT is not bogus, and generally speaking the TSB's are right on the money. So IMO the information they gave you is probably valid.

Check this post...and the information for you car on Edmunds.com will list all TSB's for your particular vehicle.
      http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1404
      SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
      Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
      CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
      Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

Hey thanks

Comment

get the TSB done...it should fit it
          Originally posted by jeffro
          nice laura, real nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LZ's GTP
            You're responding to a message that's a year old.
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
              Originally posted by LZ's GTP
              You're responding to a message that's a year old.
              lmao i'm retarded..I saw the July and didn't read the year..my bad!
              Originally posted by jeffro
              nice laura, real nice!!!

Comment

Re: Over cranking-LX9

Mine has been flashed/fixed twice per the TSB repair instructions and still occassionaly does the same thing.

Don
                Don Schorr
                2006 G-6 V6
                32,500 miles

Comment

i know all posts are old ones,,but there is no flash needed for electronic ignition--when holding key over to start computer sends multiple messages to starter so it keeps turning over---fix ---just touch key to start position ,do not hold key on----i work at a local dealer and replaced many starters only to realize it still does it with new starters------.....

cold air intake, painted engine bay, zzp strut bar, GM lip kit, upper and lower recessed chrome grilles, chrome handles ,pillar posts,painted calipers,painted mirror covers,custom dual exhaust
                  interrior blue LED's , front and rear dart overlays
                  MODS to come ...MPD or GXP hood,and 91 octane tune (waiting on rear tail lights)

Comment

Sorry, that's incorrect. The problem that people are experiencing involves the engine continuing to crank even after they have released the key. There's a problem and GM still hasn't fixed it.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i must agree with TLS2000, i get this issue even if i use my auto start feature. So its definatelly something that GM has not found a fix for

Comment

I've had mine reflashed (and it still does it occasionally) and the dealer told me it's something I'm going to have to live with.
                        2006 G6 Sedan...V6, K/N Filter, SS Magnaflow exhaust tip, SS Magnaflow 4" round.

Comment

And for the record, you can hold the key to start and it does nothing. Once that initial contact is made, the computer takes over the starting process. Holding the key to start does no damage.
                          2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
                            And for the record, you can hold the key to start and it does nothing. Once that initial contact is made, the computer takes over the starting process. Holding the key to start does no damage.

I usually hold my key the whole time I'm driving! lol

Oh I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow for this frikkin problem. I'm tired of being embarrassed! lol
                            <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

Well the cars still at the dealer, but they called and had this to tell me.

They said that they reprogrammed the computer and that the engine was still hesitating. They also said that the fuel injectors were dirty and they recommend that I run some fuel injector cleaner through the engine which would only cost me $170

Anyone else get this response?
                              <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

Working...
                              X