2008 G6 40mph Stuttering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 G6 40mph Stuttering

I thought I would pass this information along...

Recently I noticed some shuddering when driving my '08 G6 (3.5L V6 - 9500mi) through traffic. It usually happens at 40mph and at around 1100 RPM. (I also noticed it around 60mph while driving in the mountains, but was unable to duplicate it here on the coast.) It usually occurs when decelerating and then ever so slightly accelerating with very light pedal pressure.

Naturally, I took it down to my local dealer. They drove it for over 50 miles, noticed the issue, ran some diagnostics, couldn't find anything, and then called GM.

GM stated they are aware of the situation, and are in the process of creating a solution. No parts need to be changed/replaced. The solution will be a SOFTWARE update. Turns out this is the precise mph/rpm where from a higher gear, the computer is not sure whether to stay in gear or downshift. The technician reassured me that this does NOT damage the transmission in any way, it is merely a nuisance. Hey also mentioned that they are used to seeing this occurring on G6's with 30,000 miles or more.

They will check for the update, during the next oil change.

Just thought everyone would like to know.

Thanks,
    Marvin J

Re: 2008 G6 40mph Stuttering

Thanks for the info and
    2009 Pontiac G6 V6, Diamond White
    -> 3rd Brake Light Decal
    -> Tint: 50% Front, 35% Rear

Comment

Mine does something like that..every once in awhile it acts like it doesnt know weather to shift or not(auto)....i figure cause my cold air intake...hell idk.. plus mine is an 06
      Current Ride
      05 Jetta GLI

Old Rides
      Black G6 Coupe GT, painted headlights, Tinted tails(did them myself) cold air fender intake, custom magnaflow exhuast kit, 12" sub w/ 640watt amp, custom eye lids

Comment

yeah, I have the problem too, for now, but I hear a tune will fix it

It's not about how fast you get to your destination, it's about how you many heads
        you turn when you get there...

My Progression Page
        CarDomainMySpace

Comment

A tune does fix it. We had our cars dyno'd in Columbus. Those with a tune were able to be dyno'd in 3rd gear. Me and Amy, without tunes, they had to do ours in 2nd gear because 3rd gear locks kind of. It loses RPM's while gaining speed so they couldn't dyno it in 3rd.
          Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
          I <3 Cody.

No homo.
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

Could you please describe the "stuttering" a little more? Is it like a vibration or a shuddering, or just a hesitation before dropping down a gear?

Comment

mine does it all the time under light acceleration it is sometimes really bad. so i just accelerate fast.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/a ... 6009-1.jpg

Comment

No shudder here.....oh wait, I have an ecm/tcm tune :P

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
                4 door mafia
                93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
                8000k hid's
                Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
                Rotofab cai and radiator cover
                13.207@107.11
                330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

Originally posted by mi04se1
                  No shudder here.....oh wait, I have an ecm/tcm tune :P
                  yeah, yeah
                  can't wait to get mine tuned

what coast are you on Marvin?
                  Mods: Tint, Resonator Delete, K&N Filter, GT-R Exhaust, GXP rear bumper, Debadged

Comment

I just got off the phone with the service guy @ my dealership. He hasn't seen any service updates pertaining to this issue. He said I'll have to bring the car in and check it specifically. Joy.

I wish I knew if I could find this out for myself rather than driving it out to the dealership, and loosing a half day of work.

Yes, considered getting a tune. Yes it has a decent size engine, but its not a GT, it has 4 doors & leather. I'm never going to put neons on it, or a big frickin' wing, or ground effects, or fake side vents, or any of that crap. Its a great driving car. It will never be a killer on the dragstrip... If that were the case I should have bought a G8. I don't believe a tune warrants the extra dough & the extra cost in fuel. I mean how much does the tune ACTUALLY do? Is it really worth the extra hassle/cost? (Boy I know I'm going to get flac for this one.)

Btw, I'm on the east coast.

Comment

No stuttering on my 08?
                      CRABS WAMS MPD GT-R Brembos and stuff

Comment

I know its been a LONG time since I posted this issue, but I wanted to give an update. I've finally gone enough miles to warrant a oil change, so today when I took it in they raped me with a tire rotation & oil change, but they also checked to see if there were any updates in the system. And lo and behold there were! one for the power steering and one for the auto transmission!

On my drive home, I purposely attempted to make it stutter around 40mph... It didn't I'll be driving it for around 600+ this weekend, so it will be the true test. Just thought I would pass this info along even though its been so long.

Comment

good to know
                          ............... My cardomain page ................. My facebook page ...............

Comment

Do you by chance know anymore details about the updates for the power steering and one for the auto transmission? Thanks
                            2006 G6 Sedan...V6, K/N Filter, SS Magnaflow exhaust tip, SS Magnaflow 4" round.

Comment

40 MPH is the speed at which the car shifts at peak rpm from 1st to 2nd, in my 2006, and it does hesitate, and I'm sure yours will to.....so yeah, I have to agree it is a tuning issue that can be corrected. I noticed the same thing last night when I got my rear MMI installed that the hesitation was there, but I already knew it, I just felt it more.
                              "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Working...
                              X