Tire Pressure for drag racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Pressure for drag racing

So I've been doing A LOT of reading on multiple sites lately for the best advice on how to drag race with street tires. It's about 75/25 on whether to do burn outs or not to heat up tires. (75 say no, 25% say yes). Reason being is the the oil of street tires tend to make it not good when you burn out and actually makes them slick. Instead they say to do a short 3 second spin to "clean off", especially for fwd cars. Also, they have said to avoid the water box at all costs for street tires as it just picks up water and put it all over the staging area. So for now, when I head down to the track on Friday, I'm going to skip the water box, do a 3 second "clean off" and go from there.

What I can't find a lot of information on is what to set tire pressure at for street tires. I've seen both sides of the story. One, put tires at recommended inflation (not max inflation) because when street tires get low, since the side wall are hard it cause the middle of the tread to bend and thus lift off the pavement. I have also heard of lowering to between 20 - 25 to make sure all tread possible is touching the pavement.

So, I know I got a 2.100 60' on 24 psi last time, but I'm shooting for 2.0 this week and I think I can do it with the right hookup and staging shallow. But, I wanted to get some opnions on what other folks have experienced with the LS2's (I know, I still have stock rubbers and that sucks, but the GT's are coming next month )

Thanks,

N8
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: Tire Pressure for drag racing

I never do a burnout or go through the water. I lower my fronts to about 25 psi.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
    4 door mafia
    93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
    8000k hid's
    Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
    Rotofab cai and radiator cover
    13.207@107.11
    330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

I just noticed, if I got my 60 down to 2.1, I will probably be in the 14.2 range.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
      4 door mafia
      93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
      8000k hid's
      Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
      Rotofab cai and radiator cover
      13.207@107.11
      330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

I used to race alot on street tires.

For street tires... I always drove around water, spun the tires, not a stading 30 sec burnout but a quick one. Clean the crap off them, get a little bit of heat into the rubber. Like spin them, hold it 1-3 seconds then roll it out.

which is all advice you know and read.

I always ran ~5 over max pressure rating in my non-drive tires(I raced RWD cars) so the fronts had extra pressure.

With 17s, or even 18s I wouldn't go lower then 24, have you tried numbers like 30 yet? I actually would drag race on 16s in a RWD car and most the time I got best results 28-32 psi depending on the tire. I assume 17s would be worse do to the smaller sidewall. Smaller the side wall the stiffer it is. I always liked to start higher rpm and bring it down till I stopped spining.

All honestly a 2.1 is pretty decent for a FWD car without decent rear suspension work.
        2007 Dark Gray Metallic G6 Sedan 3.5L v6 A4
        Former cars... '85 Camaro, '94 Camaro, '00 Camaro, '92 Mustang GT

Comment

Working...
        X