Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switching to 6-spd auto transmission... possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching to 6-spd auto transmission... possible?

Just out of curiosity what would it take (other than buying the transmission itself lol) to swap out my 4-spd auto for one of the 6-speeds? There are two right? The GXP one and the one from the 09.5 G6. 6T40 and 6T70.

Which of those would be better, and how much work would it be to do that? I don't mean for me, I wouldn't attempt this myself. But let's say my transmission dies sometime in the next 5 years so I suddenly have the opportunity to put in something that can handle more torque. What would that involve?

I thought about the manual but it seems like I'd be better off just trading in my car for one with a manual. I'm hoping since it would be an auto-to-auto switch that this would cost less and require less work.
    Planned mods:
    HSRK, motor mounts, tinted tail lights, ECM/TCM/whatever tune, hood struts, HIDs, white and blue gauge cluster and CD/menu screen LED swap, GTP rear valance, GXP front bumper, GT-R exhaust
    Finished/in-progress:
    2/8/09 - removed intake resonator | 3/21/09 - installed Injen clone stage 4 CAI
    3/23/09 - 30% tint w/eyebrow
    12/2014 - 2008 stereo install (for aux in)

Re: switching to 6-spd auto transmission... possible?

As far as we know there are just the two, the one for the 3.6L, and the one for the new 2.4L and V6.
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Re: switching to 6-spd auto transmission... possible?

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
      As far as we know there are just the two, the one for the 3.6L, and the one for the new 2.4L and V6.
      The 3.05 final drive is hinting me that the 3.5s still only get the 4T45.
      <-- Gray G6? Click!
      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
      2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
      Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Re: switching to 6-spd auto transmission... possib

my guess is a manual swap would actually be easier overall... you wouldnt have TCM issues. i guess you would need to redo pedals...

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

Originally posted by CjLink
          my guess is a manual swap would actually be easier overall... you wouldnt have TCM issues. i guess you would need to redo pedals...
          and shifter assembly
          2007 Red Sedan "6" REPOSSESED
          Looking for a 500$ Beater to be the home of my stereo system

Comment

you'll have to change that for the auto too. i'm assuming it would be one with tapshift or a different number of gears you can put it into...

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

But there might be PCM issues. It's the 3.5L, not 3.9L.

But bottomline is, for our cars, if you want a certain transmission, you're better off getting one that has it already. It's just not economically justified to do a swap.
              <-- Gray G6? Click!
              2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
              2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
              Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                But there might be PCM issues. It's the 3.5L, not 3.9L.

But bottomline is, for our cars, if you want a certain transmission, you're better off getting one that has it already. It's just not economically justified to do a swap.
                Even if I had to pay for a new transmission anyway? Would the cost still be that prohibitive?
                Planned mods:
                HSRK, motor mounts, tinted tail lights, ECM/TCM/whatever tune, hood struts, HIDs, white and blue gauge cluster and CD/menu screen LED swap, GTP rear valance, GXP front bumper, GT-R exhaust
                Finished/in-progress:
                2/8/09 - removed intake resonator | 3/21/09 - installed Injen clone stage 4 CAI
                3/23/09 - 30% tint w/eyebrow
                12/2014 - 2008 stereo install (for aux in)

Comment

IVe read conflicting sites on this that the 3.9l can accept the 6-speed transmission. When there is conflict a lot of times you can its just people assume they know everything. Everything is possible with automobiles. Having a manual in a 240HP v6 more than a stock 302 from a foxbody GT i may add "225hp" car makes sense to me. The slapstick automatic is just a tease really. More research is needed to answer this further, but I'm sure with "pedals" a new shifter, and possibly some sort of adapter "if need be" and maybe if needing an adapter, shorter shafts when then be needed. Currently used 4-speed autos for the 3.9s are selling for $800 and up on used, new ones are near $2,000. I've found low mileage 6-speeds for as low as $500+160 freight. With that in mind there is plenty of cash to match the price of an auto to buy the additional parts. If others may help in the research we could find a parts list of what all is required to get this done. If they can put LS3 engines in fords with some mods like different k-member, and ecu, then I'm sure that its possible to put 6-speeds into an auto car. Work required? sure, but the benefit of a 6-speed would be 10 fold over that 4-speed slapsick tease machine. Which when its used burns out at 100-150k even doing plenty of fluid changes. Also, recommend turning the TC "traction control" off otherwise your gonna burn that out.

Comment

Working...
                  X