This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official Oil change discussion

i change it about 50% cause i go to the track almost every other wed. and i drive quite aggressive. (thats what i say, fiance says crazy... you pick)
    and as far as warranties, ussually they dont cover neglect. so make sure you change your oil at usual intervals and keep that stuff fresh. clean oil makes for one happy engine!

..... ok, thats corny, so what! leave me alone
    r/t .539, 60' 2.328, 330' 6.529, 1/8mi 10.002, 71.16 mph (completely stock)

My Baby in her darkest hour
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...l=1#post389966

Comment

Originally posted by SDGTPM6
      SO, you guys change your oil before the "DIC" says to do it? Mine just popped up and said "CHANGE OIL SOON" And it's at like 4%
      She can't take much more, Captain!!!

I'm a 50% guy... It actually takes around 3 months for me.

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
      Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
      Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

I usually go with every 3kmiles give or take and Mobil1 supersyn and a K&N filter.

I've heard nightmares about Fram as well--including some exploding at the track.
        "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
        ~~GWAR's description of Hell
        SkaĂ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

mine was down to 2% so i just changed it lol. i usually try to change it out around 20% but haven't had the time. did my tranny fluid while i was under there too. GM doesn't seem to specify an interval so i figure 47k is close enough to change the F40 fluid since the autos say 50k. did the work myself and still spent $85

Comment

Just did mine today, went Mobil1 and Delco PF47, and made a mess in my parking spot.

Some things might make life easier:

1. Have some kind of metal pipe ready. The oil plug is PITA to get at if you just have a wrench or socket. I used the wrench in the trunk to help extend the ratchet and gave it a bit more torque to remove the plug, and it became easy.
            2. Have lots.. and I mean LOTS of spare rags and stuff, if you don't want to make a mess. I learned that lesson hard.
            3. Don't listen to those quick lube guys. Draining the oil takes long. After the first "stream", there's a second one right after I removed the oil filter. Took me two CDs for it to completely drain.

But I have one question... I might have underfilled and started the engine, then immediately turned it off (some water exploding in my GT-R triggered me to, I thought it was engine, but then I saw a big splat of water behind) and checked the dipstick again and added, will I have done significant damage?
            <-- Gray G6? Click!
            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
            2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
            Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

how much "underfilled" did you do?
              and it just takes practice, i guess. i dont make any mess. at least very very little. a speck or two. but do have shop towels handy for your hands. 1/2" ratchet works beautifully for the torque to break the plug loose. then 3/8 to finish it up.

Comment

By about 8 oz (250ml-ish). Hope it didn't blow my engine up. I THINK I have exactly 4 quarts in my engine, I have a tad bit left in one of my 1L bottle.

It was my first time. Maybe I should've done my friend's car first.
                <-- Gray G6? Click!
                2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

you let it drain for long enbough to listen to 2 cds

you really wanted every drop out huh lol

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                  Originally posted by snowmanG6
                  you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                    By about 8 oz (250ml-ish). Hope it didn't blow my engine up. I THINK I have exactly 4 quarts in my engine, I have a tad bit left in one of my 1L bottle.

It was my first time. Maybe I should've done my friend's car first.
                    a quarter of a litre wont cause any issues at all...its when you underfill by MORE than a litre when you can have issues...but thats only over an extended run time... a few seconds wont hurt it...
                    My Progression Thread - Previous Car | My CarDomain | G6Performance CarDomain Group
                    Current Mods: Canucks Motorsports lowering kit (1.75")
                    In Progress Mods:None Yet
                    Upcoming Mods: WAMS ECM/TCM Tune | CAI | Rims/Tires | R1 Brakes

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage
                      a quarter of a litre wont cause any issues at all...its when you underfill by MORE than a litre when you can have issues...but thats only over an extended run time... a few seconds wont hurt it...

Maybe I should've done my friend's car first.

Comment

I'm done with the stealership! was supposed to get oil changes for free (pay only the filter) but you are obligated to do both semi-annual inspections that cost around 100$ each!

When the DIC says to go I roll down to my local garage (well known & reputated for the past 20 yrs) and pay 22.50$.

VoilĂ !
                        COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
                        Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                        MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
                        Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

Is it safe to spray engine degreaser around the areas near the oil plug and filter to clean splashed oil?

Want to find a way to clean the oil off so I won't get that oil burning smell, scared the crap out of me last time, thought my engine was disintegrating.
                          <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Andy, can you get documents or images of the LS2 in the GTO for oil change? I just want some pictures if you can get them. Apparently the LS2 is even easier to change than the 3.9L is, or so I'm told, so I might start doing it. Any pictures about how to drain/replace clutch fluid too would be useful.
                            2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                            Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                            2005 CGM GTO.
                            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Is it safe to spray engine degreaser around the areas near the oil plug and filter to clean splashed oil?

Want to find a way to clean the oil off so I won't get that oil burning smell, scared the crap out of me last time, thought my engine was disintegrating.
                              I've used Brake Cleaner for years with no problems. I don't see why it wouldn't hurt.

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
                              Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
                              Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                                Andy, can you get documents or images of the LS2 in the GTO for oil change? I just want some pictures if you can get them. Apparently the LS2 is even easier to change than the 3.9L is, or so I'm told, so I might start doing it. Any pictures about how to drain/replace clutch fluid too would be useful.

take the skid plate off (dont let it hit you in the head it hurs and it weighs more then you would think)
                                if you cant get it from there you shouldnt be changing the oil

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Working...
                                X