HOW TO lube Intermediate steering shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO lube Intermediate steering shaft

Sooooo happy I saw this thread. Sunday I shall, give it a go. I'm praying I have the un-painted shaft! Any rhyme or reason to which cars have which shaft?

Comment

Hey I have a similar problem to this,

At low speeds below 40km/h at the steering wheel you can hear a very tiny faint squeak, like rubber rubbing on rubber/plastic.

I even had my brother turn the wheel while the car was on and I could hear it from the outside by the front wheels.

You can even hear it when you move the wheel when the car is off.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, I previous owner I bought the car off of replaced the steering shaft back in 07 I believe.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        Hey I have a similar problem to this,

At low speeds below 40km/h at the steering wheel you can hear a very tiny faint squeak, like rubber rubbing on rubber/plastic.

I even had my brother turn the wheel while the car was on and I could hear it from the outside by the front wheels.

You can even hear it when you move the wheel when the car is off.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, I previous owner I bought the car off of replaced the steering shaft back in 07 I believe.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Your unidentified squeak description sounds more like a possible worn tie rod end or maybe worn ball joint.
        Current Mods
        245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
        Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Originally posted by Altered6 View Post
          Your unidentified squeak description sounds more like a possible worn tie rod end or maybe worn ball joint.
          I think it may be some kind of bushing between the firewall and the actual shaft thats rubbing or something.
          its faint and it doesn't sound to much like a balljoint, I've had that problem before.
          You can hear it mostly on the inside of the car.
          I went to my mechanic and I descibed it to him he said that it might be a bushing or something rubbing, and all it needs is lube.
          I'll find out tomorrow when I go in, and after he inspects it.

I'll post the results tomorrow!

Hopefully its nothing serious.

But like you said "possible" hopefully its not!

How much would a tie rod replacement go for if thats the problem (worst case senerio)

Thanks!

Comment

sounds like its problebly the seal on the top of the steering gear where the shaft enters the gear sometimes lube might fix it but odds are it would need a gear

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              I think it may be some kind of bushing between the firewall and the actual shaft thats rubbing or something.
              its faint and it doesn't sound to much like a balljoint, I've had that problem before.
              You can hear it mostly on the inside of the car.
              I went to my mechanic and I descibed it to him he said that it might be a bushing or something rubbing, and all it needs is lube.
              I'll find out tomorrow when I go in, and after he inspects it.

I'll post the results tomorrow!

Hopefully its nothing serious.

But like you said "possible" hopefully its not!

How much would a tie rod replacement go for if thats the problem (worst case senerio)

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't realize that the squeak could be heard louder inside the car.
              Current Mods
              245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
              Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Hey guys,

Went to my mechanic today and he told me after he inspected it,
                that it was either the rubber grommet where the firewall connects to the steering shaft (which I lubed myself) or there is supposidly one inside the actual steering wheel.

So I got home, got underneath the dash and took the plastic piece out, and then the three screws underneath the steering wheel itself. The rubbing noise I was hearing was louder so it's definitely where it is coming from and too even attempt to lube it I have to take the whole steering wheel apart.

I don't think its worth the time, but I'm pretty sure that is where its coming from.
                It could also just be the weather of everything contracting and expanding when it gets warm.

Anyone else have this sort of noise/problem?

Comment

Well, I just had to do this again. It seems like it needs to be done about every 6 months. This time I just used white lithium grease, it was only $4 compared to the kit at the dealer which was $14. The grease did the trick, no more noise.
                  Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

Originally posted by CaptRage View Post
                    Well, I just had to do this again. It seems like it needs to be done about every 6 months. This time I just used white lithium grease, it was only $4 compared to the kit at the dealer which was $14. The grease did the trick, no more noise.
                    I did mine again a few weeks with white lithium grease and it's been fine since.
                    Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
                    Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
                    Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

Just bought a 2006 HHR for my 16 year old granddaughter. She says when she goes to turn in left or right it wants to fight her. Someone said it could be that the steering column needs to be greased. Your options?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyborn View Post
                        Just bought a 2006 HHR for my 16 year old granddaughter. She says when she goes to turn in left or right it wants to fight her. Someone said it could be that the steering column needs to be greased. Your options?
                        If it's jerking back against her turning the wheel it could be part of the recall for the electric power steering. The steering shaft outlined in this thread is just the popping usually at parking lot speeds. You'll feel the pop in the wheel, but it wouldn't feel like it was fighting you.

Did she say anything about a message on the radio? When my G6 had the power steering issue I got a message to service the power steering.

Comment

Working...
                        X