Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO lube Intermediate steering shaft

Originally posted by Ashtrey
    Well the computers got updated today and we now have a part # for the new intermediate shaft. Im gonna meet with the Southwestern sales rep on thursday to see when they will be available. To date ive sold about 35 or so of the truck and suv shafts and no comebacks from clunks or noises, so things look good.

Any news on this shaft replacement? I'm really interested in seeing if this corrects the issue or not.

Comment

Doies the clunking only apear when truning? Mine has a clunk when going over bumps and I cannot locate it! Already replaced sway bar bushings!

2005 Pontiac G6 V6 Dashhawk, Debadge ,Crabs, LED License plate bulb, LED third brake light , Black Emblem Overlays,Tint 35 percent front, 5 percent rear, Energy Susp. Sway bar bushings, Intake resonator delete.
      Soon to come>>>> Racingline STB, Custom Flame job interior/engine, FPU, Cquence slotted rotors, Recessed Grilles, Concept darts, Red Gauge face,

Comment

On the impala the ISS clunking was from bumps and turning the wheel. So far on the G6 its only when turning the wheel. Speaking of that, anyone else have their steering wheel whine/rub make a whining sound(like its rubbing plastic on plastic?) Can I spray something in the wheel through the gabs in the steering column?

Comment

well bad news on the shaft replacement apparently, there is supposed to be a new shaft out from GM, and so the one through NAPA didn't come out. There was a part # for the longest time but no availability, I called the Moog rep and he said at this time their is not going to be one in production for GM cars, just the one that is already out for the Gm trucks and suv's. I talked to one of my friends at an "old" Pontiac dealer and he told me that there is a new design rack and pinion and a new design intermediate shaft out and available for all the Gm cars . Ahuhn would have to confirm this but that is what he told me, I haven't had it replaced yet but soon I will find out because my 6er's steering is clunking like a shoe in the dryer
          2006 G6 GT, Crimson red, Beige Leather w/woodgrain trim, Sirius Sat Radio,tinted tails, debadged

Comment

Hope to hear something soon, if can just get this part replaced with an UPDATED part then its worth it. Other than that i will have to try this shaft lubing technique. lol great line about the shaft clunking like a shoe in a dryer ahahahahahaha

Comment

Read on some other GM sites by a tech that said that the new shaft seems to work good in some but had quite a few come back for making noises again... The design is just totally flawed and GM is just to stupid to fix it right.... I lubed mine with a 1/4 of a can of superlube and it hasn't made a noise yet (knock on wood)
              2006 "Silver Bullet" V6 Sedan
              Mods = Lots HaHa

Comment

Originally posted by NeverL8
                General question for everyone ...

can the lower (thicker) part of the shaft be drilled and tapped and then have a grease nipple screwed on so you can grease up the shaft without removing it ???

Thoughts??
                I have replaced I-shafts where the customer has installed a grease zerk. I don't know how long it was effective for though.

Comment

realized that my GF's car clunks...she doesn't notice but i do...time for some luuube
                  on the how to andy
                  sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

I thought my clunk was just doomed to be there forever because it got so loud....but lubed it up and it actually WORKED, wow man i was not looking forward to spending 600+ dollars on some stupid part that would eff up again!

EVERYONE JUST LUBE LUBE LUBEEEE! : D

Comment

Originally posted by blakobecwa View Post
                      I thought my clunk was just doomed to be there forever because it got so loud....but lubed it up and it actually WORKED, wow man i was not looking forward to spending 600+ dollars on some stupid part that would eff up again!

EVERYONE JUST LUBE LUBE LUBEEEE! : D
                      This has been a very useful method for me. It's now time for me to lube again.
                      Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
                      Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
                      Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

I had this a few years ago and the dealer fixed it, but the last couple of months it has come back.

Gonna try fixing this one myself tomorrow.
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Any recommendations if the 11mm bolt is seized and cant be turned? I tried the second method but wasnt able to get much grease into the shaft. I did get an annoying squeaking noise to go away though
                          Completed Mods - CRAB Intake, Resonator Delete, Debadged Decals, Racingline Performance Strut Tower Bar, Red Calipers, Glossy Black Upper Front Grilles, and Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushings

Future Mods - 6000k HID's, 35% Window Tint, 17" Racing wheels, Dual Rear Valence, Dual Exhaust, Smoked Tail Lights, Indash Dvd player.

Comment

Back from the death...

Looking at this post for the first time, the clunking is caused by the inner shaft touching the outer one?
                            why not putting, lets say some sort of bushing with a boot and some grease?
                            If the problem is that the grease is displaced toward the lower (outer) part of the shaft, why not put a seal there?.

How hard is to actually remove the that part, not for lube, for replacement and maybe try this.
                            Last edited by SmartGTP; 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I used method 2 with jigaloo all purpose, it's worked so far, thank you very much for the how too, I knew it could not be too complicated
                              Vancity G6'er Red 07' V6 Sedan on 19's

Comment

Any way to actually disassemble the shaft in order to put some sort of bushing/bearing there?

I had the noise, I remover the bolt and worked the shaft up and down by keeping it greased all the time... seems to have worked

Comment

Working...
                                X