HOW TO lube Intermediate steering shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO lube Intermediate steering shaft

I have had this same steering shaft problem, re-greasing gets tiring.

I found that the same grease that I apply to my motorcycle chain can be applied to the shaft:
    this chain grease is meant to hang on and not come off ( special note: it does not come off, this means everything it touches, I recommend placing a few papers or rags down and around before spraying)
    It comes in a aerosol can and does have a tube to focus your spray, it can be bought at any motorcycle dealer

I have not had any noise since, good luck
    2006 G6 GT COUPE CRIMSON RED 15% TINT ON THE SIDES 5% FRONT BANNER AND REAR, RED CALIPERS PAINTED, STOCK 17" CHROME WHEELS, 3 million color l.e.d. underbody kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3300730

Comment

I work at Napa and have this problem come up alot, luckily not on my 6er yet. Most Gm cars and trucks come with this damn shaft that clunks alot, and is a pain in the ass to lube. Napa came out with a better replacement for the trucks and suvs and from my understanding they are comeing out with one for most gm cars. Havent heard any body come back with with the new shaft and complain about the clunk yet, so were on to something. Ill keep yall updated on it.
      2006 G6 GT, Crimson red, Beige Leather w/woodgrain trim, Sirius Sat Radio,tinted tails, debadged

Comment

i think i have this steering clunk...

is it...with even car in park and you turn the wheel a bit then let it go it goes back to straigh and makes the clunk?...?

Comment

Originally posted by Dav3
          i think i have this steering clunk...

is it...with even car in park and you turn the wheel a bit then let it go it goes back to straigh and makes the clunk?...?
          Yeah
          <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

Well the computers got updated today and we now have a part # for the new intermediate shaft. Im gonna meet with the Southwestern sales rep on thursday to see when they will be available. To date ive sold about 35 or so of the truck and suv shafts and no comebacks from clunks or noises, so things look good.
            2006 G6 GT, Crimson red, Beige Leather w/woodgrain trim, Sirius Sat Radio,tinted tails, debadged

Comment

would this clunking noise be the same as a pulsating when turning, very minimal? I hope, then I can fix it cause that's what I got goin on.

Thanks
              PS3 -Mischief24

Comment

I lubed my shaft yesterday *lmao sounds funny.

But it made the noise worse, and it was the non painted shaft. I took it to the dealership and they said the new lube made it worse because it cleaned the old gunk. I looked at the i-shaft from underneath the car and it was rusted like hell. It need to be changed.

As I am typing this the 6 is getting shafted, lol. Out of warranty and this crap has to happen. $350 CND bucks!!!! Oh well.
                I will take pics of what i-shafts GM is putting in now. If you still have warranties get this fixed ASAP!!
                MODSGT-R, HIDS 6000K, 8000K FOGS, 35% TINT, K&N INTAKE, CRAB HEAT SHIELD, Cquence Rotors

Comment

I'm going to have to try this, mine is back and getting worse. I have had it in a couple times to have it fixed, but it is now out of warranty. Does anyone know if the steering shaft was replaced under warranty, could the shaft have a warranty of its own and get fixed no charge? Now if I can just remember how long ago it was replaced.
                  Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

shaft should have a 12 month 12k mile on its own

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    Originally posted by snowmanG6
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

For some reason i need someone to explain how the grease helps. I'd think it gets worse. What about this I shaft makes the clunk sound i hear on my '07 Malibu. I thought the clunk is way closer to the steering wheel.
                      '07 Malibu LT born 6/2006

Comment

what happens is that over time the grease that is on the shaft actually gets moved. because the shaft only moves a small amount it wears the grease off of a small area and then you get a "slip stick" condition where the shaft sticks where theres no grease and then it suddenly breaks free and slipps a bit making the noise. by greasing it your obviously putting all the grease back.

thats also the reason why the noise always comes back and why just moving the shaft more then normal for some other repair will sometimes fix it. ie if the steering gear gets replaced the ishaft will get moved and make the noise go away for a while

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                        Originally posted by snowmanG6
                        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying Ahuhn

Comment

The clunk I'm having went away a couple weeks ago when I jacked up my car for about two hours to paint the calipers. It came back last week. Would this still be the same thing since jacking it up made it go away?

Comment

Fixed for now

I sprayed my I shaft with silicone and the noise is gone at least until it dries out. Love little fixes like that. Am irritated i had to put up with this noise for 2.5 years and all i had to do was lube. Man.

Comment

GM should recall all these defective clunking i-shafts. I have to replace mine at least once a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X