Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Originally posted by Christopher Price View Post
    If your G6 has tapshift on the shifter, then it's no problem... the steering controls should work when wired properly.

That said, I think it just puts too much stress on the 4 speed to be taking control away from the computer. While you're technically upshifting less by elongating the duration, you're also shifting at times that are sub-optimal. This may stress the 4 speed more, and may account for a higher failure rate.

Nobody has really isolated why the 4 speed is so unreliable on the G6/Malibu, but it's suspected that the high horsepower of the V6 overloads it. If you tapshift, you're doing shifts at higher RPMs by elongating the upshifts. I suspect that could be making a bad situation worse.

If I was planning on doing any serious tapshifting in a G6, I would only do it on a 6-speed trans. Even if my 4 speed had tapshift, I'd probably abstain from using it.

When my G6 trans does eventually flop, it's getting a 6 speed with a matching TCM.
    Using the manual mode on an automatic transmission is hard on internal components for ALL automatic transmissions. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, ALL of them. Because most automatic transmissions are not conceived to be shifted manually. When you use your manual mode, especially when driving a little harder, it put extreme stress on the transmission's components, more when downshifting than upshifting. Because when you downshift, it gives a pretty strong hit in the unit. The result is more wear, and a unit that needs rebuild faster than normal.

This is why manual mode should be used moderatly, like when overtaking or in some tricky situations only.

Comment

Did you compare the part numbers they found to the ones from your original paddle shifters? I will check them against the ones on the wheel I have sometime this week and see if they are different. Mine is from an Aura, so even if they aren't the same, they might help.
      2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
        Did you compare the part numbers they found to the ones from your original paddle shifters? I will check them against the ones on the wheel I have sometime this week and see if they are different. Mine is from an Aura, so even if they aren't the same, they might help.
        I'll compare the Malibu's paddles to the G6 paddles when I get them out. I want to open the Malibu paddles and swap out resistors So I can sell them, so some can do this for less than what I paid for. I'm going to mess with the car this weekend so I will pop them out and compare instead of waiting. I will also see where I can take them to, besides the college, to see about getting resistors swapped out. Maybe CrusinG6 wants to do it for a project?

Comment

Okay all, so it is official, I am an....wait for it...

As of this week! I'm going to get a big arse decal to display it. I'm so happy!

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
            Okay all, so it is official, I am an....wait for it...

As of this week! I'm going to get a big arse decal to display it. I'm so happy!
            So, there are going to design a suspension for the G6 using your car ? :O

Comment

Hmm, how did that get there? I meant to put this post in my progression thread. Oh well, I'll move it. To answer your question, they are sending me springs that go on a Saab 9-3, so they can see how much of a drop it will be on My G6.

Comment

The paddle project is complete! I can now shift with my paddles. Awesome too! Thanks to CrusinG6, Jimmyfloyd, and Brian Orr. I'll post up a video here soon. Just need to go out to record it.

Comment

It's too bad you had to buy brand new paddles but at least they work!!
                  Did tapping into the wire from the floor shifter work as intended then?

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                    It's too bad you had to buy brand new paddles but at least they work!!
                    Did tapping into the wire from the floor shifter work as intended then?
                    Sure did! With no other issues. Just like Brian did. I'm going to gut out the ristors in the Malibu's paddles and swap resistors and try to sell them. Just need to find me the resistors to buy. My total was 188.00 dollars spent to make this work. That's okay, at least no one else will buy the wrong paddles. Now, we just need to see what resistor values the Saturn's have so we can confirm if we can or can not use Saturn Aurora paddles

Comment

Here is my late night clip to show it works

Last edited by GMManof3; 03-18-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Shouldn't one shift up and the other shift down?
                        Eagle Eyes Projector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/QKH9rY

Spyder Auto Projector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/1iNrmzr

Like-OEM Reflector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/1sPAjQi

Comment

Originally posted by D0M1NIX View Post
                          Shouldn't one shift up and the other shift down?
                          It would seem like that, cause that is what I thought before I got the paddles for the first time. But, the design is meant to let you shift with one hand, and whichever hand you want. I like how you can shift up or down with one hand.

Comment

That looks awesome, great job!

Comment

Glad it worked out for you. Still need to check my part numbers, but it won't be until next week
                              2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

I got out the Malibu's paddles. Let me look to see if I can find any info stamped on the back of the Malibu paddles.

Comment

Working...
                                X