3.5 Spark Plug Change HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 Spark Plug Change HELP!!

So I am pretty new to the car world. I have a 2006 G6 GT coupe Its at about 89,000 miles. I am wanting to change the plugs now before it gets to cold here in Ohio and the garage is unbearable. I am looking for tips and tricks the rear plugs look like they are going to be "fun" to get at. I already order the stock AC delcos so no worries there. I am just looking for tips and tricks (possibly directions ). Remember I'm a noob! please Help!!!

Thanks!

Re: 3.5 Spark Plug Change HELP!!

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

your best bet is to remove the coil packs and all plug wires (being careful to remember where they go..........which is what i did and it may help to remove the serpentine belt so you can unbolt the alternator and move it to the side but all i did was remove the coil packs oh and undo the brake booster hose off the back of the intake manifold

Comment

Great Thanks! Also, after hand twisting the plugs in, how much torque should I apply to the plugs to make sure they are in all the way.

Comment

they just need to be tight, you could torque them to the specs but good luck getting a giant torque wrench down there. Just tighten them til they're nice and tight but don't overtighten them because you'll risk breaking the plugs at the base
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Can it do any damage if they are not torqued to spec?

Comment

nah it won't do any damage, just make sure they're nice and tight. The only thing that could happen is leaking of the gases from the combustion chamber but as long as you tighten them down you'll be fine
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Great hopefully this project doesn't take all day Saturday to finish. When is good time to replace the plug wires?

Comment

You dont have to take off the serpentine belt....Why the hell would you do that??

Just take your time with it. Pull the wires one at a time, and as you pull off the wire reach down with a spark plug socket and pull out the spark plug. Its pretty simple once you get started. You might have to lay across on you car... I just used a stool. Just please dont do more work then you have to man.

Should take 10mins for front, and about an hour for rear. But that was me taking my time.

Comment

Originally posted by hnda8n View Post
                    You dont have to take off the serpentine belt....Why the hell would you do that??

i didnt say he had to and i didnt, but some people have said that they found it easier with the alternator removed........ and bsides im pretty sure your LX9 3.5 is a LOT smaller than the LZ4/LZ9 LOL as far as room in the engine bay goes...........i actuall kneeled on my IM to get the rears changed LOL

Comment

Well the OP has an LX9 so thats why I put my .02 in.

Comment

Originally posted by hnda8n View Post
                        Well the OP has an LX9 so thats why I put my .02 in.

ya i spose LOL, i guess i forgot he said what he had since i didnt see it in his info at the side haha............looks to me like changing plugs on the 3.6 is a piece of cake but i guess ill see for sure on friday haha........

Comment

he has an 06 only the LX9 was available in the 06MY
                          2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

it took me about 30 min all together.. i used two uv joints on my rachet and a couple extensions..

biggest pita is getting the rear wires off..

ps. if you need new wires, check out prior posts and youll find kingsborne

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

which Delco plugs did you get??? Gap?
                              Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                              Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                              WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Working...
                              X