Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cruisin's Drift RX-8

Nah I'll just keep the series 2 blower on there
    240hp and 280 torque are plenty in a stripped out rx-8.

Since I plan to turbo it anyways that's when I'll really make all my power.
    No sense In buying blowers and everything.
    Either way I'll have to mod the original blower because the throttle body would sit in the firewall.

Comment

The intake can be purchased pre ported for exactly what slow sedan has suggested. If i recall it also has something else done to the one you can buy off hand i cant remember. If you get strung out trying to find a 3800 already setup for the sc ive also come across a company that sells a kit for the na 3800 for a sc. Its not gonna give you what a already sc 3800 will be capable of but it should break 300 if i remember 350 comes to mind but i couldn't be certain without looking it up. Exhaust i suggest looking up whatever is in the slp loudmouth setup and trying for something similar. Sounds fucking mean.

Comment

Forgot how to edit posts.
        Buying a pre ported intake was merely a suggestion if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself. Just incase someone wants to argue about that comment.

Comment

I live an hour outside of Chicago, there are quite literally dozens if not hundreds of supercharged 3800's laying around. The lower compression is really what I'm after.
          I still think I'll get the PCM tuned (since I have to tune it for manual trans anyways) and run a smaller pulley and maybe larger injectors.
          At this point I'm going for drop it in and enjoy the shit out of it. Once the car is all built and running I can focus serious time on a building an engine on the stand and dialing everything in perfect.

I still have a long list of things, Finish gutting. re-do the steering system, brakes. figure out my drive shaft and the power plant frame.
          Then I have to wire the entire thing, add a return fuel line and plumb all my cooling hoses.

Comment

Well pretty much everything your referring to can be found off 3800performance.com. if it was in a monte or gtp they have a turbo kit that i geuss replaces the sc with everything included and on a bone stock 3800sc they are claiming 350 at the crank.

Comment

Nice. I was looking at zz performance for parts. I'll check out 3800 performance. Thanks

Comment

I forget what zz performance has but they are both great places to check for parts. Did a bunch of searching for my dad (04 monte ss 3800n/a) and for my buddy before he bought an 08 bmw 335xi (he had an 03 monte 3400). Honestly without doing the research to know what one is capable of driving a bone stock 3800sc i was not impressed. Went and test drove one with only 60k on it at a dealership before my buddies uncle who owns a dealership cut him a nice deal on that bmw. My dad keeps talking about doing stuff to his ss but hes been doing that for 2 yrs.

Comment

Yea but keep in mind vehicle weight. If I'm lucky my car will be under 3000 lbs

Comment

Cool then. A Gen II 3800 should do the job. Since you told me the Gen III heads maybe have better flow, are they compatible on a Gen II block ? Maybe it could get out some extra horsepowers when turbocharged. And I'm wondering : What do you have in mind for later upgrades ? Cam ? Crankshaft ? Pushrods ? Injectors ? ... ?

Comment

I'm sure the heads will fit, but I'm not too worried about air flow.

My only real goal with the engine when all is said and done is a power build.

I might go all out and get new rods and pistons. I'll need bigger injectors for the turbo build.
                      I was originally thinking twin turbo's for quick spool and wow factor, but I might go with a single turbo.
                      It'll all be a custom build anyways. I don't really plan on buying a turbo kit. I'd rather just piece it all together myself.

I could also go with the 4.3 V6, more displacement will make good use of that boost.
                      But I think the 3800 is where I'll remain

Comment

Well delhuge all those are easy to get for the 3800 can either buy kits with that stuff included or buy stuff sep. Hey cruising6 with an rx8 im not overly familiar with weight with all the pieces in it however its a very popular car. After you get the big things taken care of you can start swapping things less likly to scrap a wall with carbon. Hood trunk maybe even other pieces off hand im just shootin off geusses. Id leave the rest stock or cheap body kits that way your not spending a fortune when you make friends with a wall. Lol not trying to say you suck at drifting but shit happens.

Comment

Take a look at the pics in the original post again.
                          This thing is RUSTED
                          This is also a "No Fucks Given" car (pardon my french)

The plan is complete gut, EVERYTHING MUST GO. Build my own dash, my own gauge cluster, my own switch panel and fuse/relay panel. Going to re-wire the entire car my way for the bare essentials and to keep it street legal.
                          The car already has upgraded brakes, brake lines and huge ass sway bars.

Really as far as looks go I plan to rat it out. Keep the rust, lower it, widen it. Make it look real awesome. Maybe add an anime graphic, who knows.

Also the car has an aluminum hood and is pretty light from the get go.
                          One guy did a race car build and got his around 2800lbs IIRC

I think I took some pics after I pulled some crap out. I'll see if I can find em and post em

Comment

No frills just pure purpose build nice

Comment

Yup.

but since i'll be driving it to most events, and since most events are a good 2 hour drive. I will keep some luxuries.
                              I got rid of the entire leather interior but got two OEM fabric front seats, so I can be comfy and not slide around.

I plan to keep the power windows and locks and sunroof in working condition.
                              I'm going to add my own panel mount stereo for some entertainment, no head unit, just some eBay china pos. I got one for my home built garage stereo that works pretty darn well.
                              I also got front and rear speakers to make that work out.

But that's probably the limit of the luxuries. It won't have AC or Heat. Everything else will only be there because it needs to be there lol

Comment

Talking of the 4.3L V6, maybe you could look for a turbocharged 4.3L from a GMC Syclone of Typhoon. These are probably hard to find but seems nice. It has 280HP and 360lbs-ft of torque with a 8.35:1 compression ratio according to Wikipedia. Take a look at what it says --> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene...ed_LB4_4.3L_V6

Comment

Working...
                                X