Rannin and his '06 GTP - GONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rannin and his '06 GTP - GONE

Hey there people. I'd like to present the progression of my Emerald Green 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Automatic Sedan.
    [see below for details, G6 has been sold]

I've had this car and been a member since Feb '07, and I freakin' love my car. First car was a White '91 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (smooth ride) - A/C broke and traded in on a Champaign (or gold?) '01 Hyundai Elantra (custom sound system, good mpg) - I got tired of almost getting hit moving in Houston traffic and traded it in on the G6 which is a beautiful, sexy, and (relatively) powerful automobile. I am now in my 5th year of ownership and as of this writing, owe $2.64 on it. yes... two dollars and sixty-four cents... seems like they could've rolled that into my last payment, but oh well. I'll try to leave all updated pics on the first page for convenience.

Here is the G6 days after purchase. Stock. Started life in the California Hertz rental fleet.

First items I bought were not only stylish, but practical.
    Bug guard to cover up the ugly rock chips inflicted by angry renters on gravel roads, Power Slot rotors and Hawk HPS pads to replace the tired and warped brakes, and American Racing black 18x8.5 Rogue wheels. Also applied a "PONTIAC" decal to the rear window and installed black painted upper and lower recessed grills.

Then I bought one of the last Dr. Speed intakes, a 93 octane Vector tune (ECM & TCM), and a Malibu SS strut tower bar. More pics of the outside.

Got into my 4th accident with this car(this time it was my fault... atleast 50% my fault anyway, lol) and took the opportunity to have my MPD hood painted and installed. Not that I'd want it with a ram air hood, but GM no longer makes the bug guard. I was trying to save my money to buy a GT-R exhaust, but when I found out he doesn't do that anymore, I went to a local exhaust shop and had my muffler deleted and a Y pipe put in it's place. it has a really nice sound on the 3.9 imo. I'll upload video later. With all mods I currently get 18-19 mpg mixed driving.

Muffler deleted and replaced with Y-pipe. Stock resonator intact and in place; stock tips.
    http://youtu.be/-lNmAdlr2jM

Bought replacement wheels because I had a crack in my AR's. I was going to have them professionally restored, but nobody would touch them because of the fake plastic rivets. Could not find any matching AR's on eBay after weeks of searching, so I bought a new set of Gunmetal Enkei EKM3's

Twice the G6 has been in the shop for transmission work. First time in Jan '12 a forward band and clutch pack were replaced because the car wouldn't move in first or reverse gear. Just earlier this month, Sep '12, I took my car back in under repair warrantee because I couldn't move in reverse gear again. This time they replaced 3 bands, 1 clutch, and 20 plates. Needless to say it drives like it has a new transmission. I did't know how bad it was until they fixed it. Shout out to Hall Buick-GMC-(formerly)Pontiac in Tyler, TX for taking care of me.

Mods Done:
    American Racing 18x8.5 Rogue wheels - broken wheel, replaced with:
    Enkei EKM3 18x8 in Gunmetal
    Power Slot Rotors and Hawk HPS pads
    Malibu SS strut tower bar
    Vector TCM and 93 Octane ECM tune
    Dr. Speed Full Cold air intake with box
    Recessed grills upper and lower painted black
    MPD Ram Air hood
    Muffler delete, Y pipe installed
    Saab 9-3 hub shims
    BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    BMD Front Endlinks
    Racingline Grounding kit

Mods waiting for install (have parts):
    Redline Quicklifts Elite
    Eibach Lowering Springs (reconsidering)
    Racingline Motor Mount Inserts

------------------------------------------------------------

The engine in my G6 seized and was going to take a lot of money to fix properly. I could have half-assed it, but decided that the job really should be done right and by professionals. I was unsure how long it would take me to save the money needed for the repairs, or if it was even worth the cost to me. The repair bill would have been more that what I eventually sold the car for! Therefore when the chief mechanic at my regular dealership offered to buy it, I eventually took him up on it. Unfortunately I ended up selling at my bottom dollar, but at least this guy was going to fix it and drive it again. Months later, it's still sitting, unrepaired, at the dealership. Same dance, different dancer.

All in all, my time with the G6 was enjoyable. And though I will have fond memories, my friends and co-workers are glad that the "green demon" is off the road! Time to find new ways to terrorize the neighborhood!
    Last edited by Rannin Ravensight; 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM.

My Progression Page: click here

Re: Rannin and his '06 GTP

Nice looking! Your car started in hertz? Thats odd, didnt know they would opp to get GTPs in there fleet.

I hear you on the tranny issues. Thats why I just got rid of mine, from my head gasket issues to then tranny issues I just couldnt take it anymore. Nice that your tranny issues are all repaired and is now in good shape!
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Don't know why Hertz would have a GTP either, but that's what the paperwork says. As far as head gaskets, thankfully I havn't had that problem and I hope I never do. Hopefully the MMI's will help protect the transmission along with the trans fluid cooler I'm planning on.

Sorry you had so much trouble with your GTP, btw.

Comment

great looking emerald green! you dont see too many of these! Tastefully modded for sure!
        sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight View Post
          Don't know why Hertz would have a GTP either, but that's what the paperwork says. As far as head gaskets, thankfully I havn't had that problem and I hope I never do. Hopefully the MMI's will help protect the transmission along with the trans fluid cooler I'm planning on.

Sorry you had so much trouble with your GTP, btw.
          herts back home had street edition and no street GXPs in their fleet both sedan and coupe.....i rented one for a week to go to class in montana from michigan when the stupid stealership had my 3.5 GT for a month trying to figure out how to rebuild the engine twice and GM douchebags wouldnt cover a rental AT ALL.....

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGTP View Post
            great looking emerald green! you dont see too many of these! Tastefully modded for sure!
            I wish there were production numbers by colors and options, but emerald green has got to be one of the rarest G6 colors and an emerald green GTP- rarer still!

Beautiful car!

Comment

Originally posted by stratman View Post
              I wish there were production numbers by colors and options, but emerald green has got to be one of the rarest G6 colors and an emerald green GTP- rarer still!

Beautiful car!
              Thank you. I've only seen one other green GTP sedan, but I have seen two coupes, lol.

Originally posted by CrimsonGTP
              Thank you very much.

The best complement on my car I ever got was from my dad. He never really cared for my car until I had the Ram Air hood installed and I think he really looked at it for the first time. He said something to the extent of "It looks like the old muscle cars, but better!" and then I think he gave me the car equivalent of 'the talk' and told me "Take really good care of your car, cause this is the one you'll always want back when you're an old man like me. Just keep it forever!" Two or three times now He's ambushed me outside his house to take pictures of me with my car and post them on Facebook.

Comment

I like! Makes me miss my GTP ad MPD hood.

Yea my GTP was a rental as well somewhere. Registered in Florida, not sure where it actually was to end up up here.
                2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                2005 CGM GTO.
                386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

I talked to my mechanic today and they quoted me $530 to install my lowering springs and shims and do an alignment -- ouch.

Comment

I would just borrow a spring compressor from auto zone and replace the springs myself. Then all you will need to pay for is the alignment.
                    WAMS 91 tune,
                    Racingline MMI's
                    Chrome Intakes CAI (custom true ram air to come)
                    35% side tint, 20% rear, 5% strip
                    Debadged except GXP emblems
                    Tinted tails
                    Spyder tinted lights (complete rebuild + 4 projectors in design stage)
                    DDM 5k HID Low's
                    Polk 5000.5 amp, 12" Polk DXI sub, Pioneer 4way 6x9's. (complete system replacement soon)

Comment

RETIRED RENTAL CARS FTW!!
                      Hit the tires and light the fires

Current Mods:
                      CRABs Option 3, Racingline TSB, Racingline Grounding Kit, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust/Resonator Delete, Taillight Bevels, RAZO Pedal Covers, Painted Engine Covers, Powerstop Brake Kit, Painted Calipers, Gorilla Red Lug Nuts, REMIN Dash Kit, BMD Endlinks, Painted mirror caps, Partial Debadge, Borbet MA wheels, Eibach lowering kit, Monroe shocks and struts

Future Mods:
                      AIT Front Bumper (Awaiting Paint/Installation), Concept Emblems (Awaiting Installation), NGK spark plugs, GTP Rear Bumper Cover, AIT Hood, FPU, CCFL headlights

Comment

Well, got some work today and I'm reconsidering lowering my car until I have some new/better shocks to install along with them. I have 70k miles on my suspension and I don't want to lower my car just to turn around and replace worn shocks that I helped destroy by putting on lowering springs. So stock ride hight atm unless something comes up to change that (hello, Bryant of BMD).

I did get the shims installed on the rear hubs today.
                        Went from -1.0 L / -1.4 R without them to -0.4 L and -1.0 R camber with shims applied. It wasn't as much of a change as I was hoping for, but my toe in on each wheel is now at 0.0 which is an improvement I'll take.

Also got the SS brake lines from BMD put on and I can tell a difference in the pedal feel. Brakes feel a little stronger but I won't really know how much a difference it made until I really need to stop for something, so hopefully I won't have to find out!

Comment

Look what the cat drug in. Looks good man

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                          TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                          Show
                          -20% tint
                          -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                          -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Finally got around to taking a vid of my exhaust. Linked here and on first post.

Muffler deleted and replaced with Y-pipe. Stock resonator intact and in place; stock tips.
                            http://youtu.be/-lNmAdlr2jM

Happy Halloween!

Comment

So I guess American Racing discontinued my wheels and it just so happens that I broke one. Ebay was no help and nobody would even look at fixing my wheel cause it has those dumb plastic "assembly screws" on it (something about the way these companies fix cast aluminum wheels is by heating the entire wheel and the plastic melts and screws stuff up, I gather). One wheel has a nice crack in it that hemorrhaging air and I can't go faster than 45 on my dinky donut spare when I travel to work on roads with speed limits of up to 65mph. So nothing left to do except buy new wheels, right? So this is what I'm getting. Enkei EKM3 Gunmetal 18x8", 24.8lbs a peice wich is about a pound lighter that the AR's, however I am going from an 8.5 to 8" width. Hope that all works out.

Here's a pic. More when installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X