Re: auquier - Progression - Time to do the brakes! pg. 4

Its a possibility

Leave a comment:

• Matts06GT
    replied

Originally posted by Jordan5150
    No, read his article, His are non directional
    I realize that... But if you were to put them going the other way, they would pull the caliper downward instead of pushing it off the rotor (like my article says)!! By having them on the way he does, you are putting strain on everything that holds the caliper in place!! Not to mention that you are losing surface area that the brake pad could be touching!! Meaning that the breaks will bite harder with them the other way, the won't cool any better, but they will bite harder!!!

Leave a comment:

• auquier
    replied

I just got an e-mail from R1 Concepts telling me that these rotors have radial (non-directional) vanes. Now I don't HAVE to change them around, but I'm still thinking about it...

Leave a comment:

• Jordan5150
    replied

No, read his article, His are non directional

Leave a comment:

• Matts06GT
    replied

^^ I don't mean to be the barer of bad news... But if that is your drivers side rotor... Isn't it on backwards??

Leave a comment:

• BAMBAMM
    replied

Yes, your description is right on for Brembo Pads and Rotors!
    It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

•Straight
    •Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
    •Curved vane
    The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. The diagram in the post before mine show's that! Here they are again:
    Drivers Side -

Passenger Side -

Here's more information, with pictures:
    How to properly install plain, slotted or drilled brake rotors

by Dave Zeckhausen

Directional vs. Straight Vane Rotors

Most "normal" cars come with straight vane rotors, with internal cooling vanes that extend straight from the center of the rotor outward, like spokes on a wagon wheel. (See drawing on lower right) These rotors are not as efficient at cooling, but they are less expensive to manufacture and car dealers only have to stock a single part for both sides of the car.

Some higher performance cars come with "directional rotors", which have curved or tilted internal cooling vanes. These curved vanes pump more air through the rotors, resulting in improved cooling efficiency. Thus, there is a left and a right rotor. When the directional rotors are properly installed, these internal vanes should lean toward the back of the car - as shown in the diagram on the lower left.

Slotted rotors

As with the plain rotors discussed above, the internal vanes should lean toward the back of the car. The direction of the slots on the outside of the rotor do not dictate whether the rotor is a left or a right. For rotors with slots machined in the same direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the back of the car. For rotors with slots machined in the opposite direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the front of the car. Bottom line - don't use the slots to decide which side to mount the rotor. Pay attention to the internal cooling vanes.

For slotted rotors with straight internal cooling vanes, the direction of the slots is totally up to you and what you think looks best. In this case, there is no wrong answer.

Drilled rotors

It is not possible to tell if a drilled rotor is installed properly, simply by observing the drill pattern. Different manufacturers use different patterns with spiral "arms" that appear to lean in either direction, regardless of the internal cooling fin orientation. For example, StopTech AeroRotors, used on their big brake kits, have a drill pattern that appears to lean to the front of the car. Porsche OEM rotors have a drill pattern that appears to lean to the back of the car. In both cases, the internal cooling fins are properly oriented, leaning backwards. But the drill pattern is opposite. This is why Porsche mechanics often install StopTech big brake kit rotors backwards, despite the big "L" and "R" stickers on the rotors! They're relying on the drill pattern, rather than the direction of the internal cooling vanes.

As with slotted rotors, one must check the direction of the internal cooling vanes in order to determine the proper orientation of drilled rotors.

StopTech AeroRotors

I forgot to post mine as they were marked from cquence and show them, too. cquence are non-directional vanes so I installed them as they were marked on the box.
    driver side only: cause they both look the same.

Leave a comment:

• Matts06GT
    replied

I don't really know what you are asking so I made you these (no laughing, I am no artist!!) haha Print these off and walk out to your car and see if they are facing this way!!

Drivers Side:

Passanger Side:

The slots on the rotors should face the same way on both Front and Rear!!

Does that make sense??

Leave a comment:

• auquier
    replied

Well, shit - I'll have to change them back then. Thanks for taking a look and helping me out. Since the calipers on the front and rear are on opposite sides of the axle, should the slots be opposite as well?

Leave a comment:

• Matts06GT
    replied

Originally posted by acrazydood
    In the picture though isn't that the left front? So shouldn't the slots be going the other direction? Unless they have directional vanes maybe?
    The slots should enter the pad on the "top" (outer edge) and be followed by the "Bottom" (center of the caliper)!! If the picture is of the driver side front... They are on right!! The slots will pull the caliper down faced that way!! If they were switched then it would push the caliper off of the rotor!!

Leave a comment:

• auquier
    replied

Originally posted by Kleindl
    cobaltss.net has a massive group buy going on right now for the r1's ...
    Do you have the URL to the thread?

Leave a comment:

• Kleindl
    replied

cobaltss.net has a massive group buy going on right now for the r1's ...

Leave a comment:

• coolmanvette75
    replied

those calipers look sooo good

Leave a comment:

• Ghost
    replied

Leave a comment:

• markpetersonii
    Guest replied