Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring 2 sets of lights to the map lights and dome light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring 2 sets of lights to the map lights and dome light.

Alright, so, I just have an idea, not really any ways to implement it yet but that is why I am here! I would like to try and put 2 sets of LED lights into my Dome light area and the Map light area, one being red tinted and the other being a normal white-ish color(I want 2 because I want there to be a way to have red tint on, and then if i need it flip one on that will actually light my car up!) I would like the normal color to be turned on like it normally is, and have the red LED's to be turned on with a switch that I would place somewhere(any ideas on where to put the switch would be much appreciated as well) but anyways here are my main questions....

1. How would I get the wiring from the light to the switch (which would have to be put above the fabric and wired down the door or something, I honestly have no idea how that will work haha) so any idea how to take that fabric down or an easy safer way to wire it?

2. Is there a certain LED light that would be easier to install, I was thinking i had to get the same part number (561 for dome light and 168/194 for maps) but then i thought since I am kind of just doing this from scratch there shouldnt be a reason i need to stick to those lights, right? I know it would be easier when buying new lights but maybe there is an easier type of light to hook up? Im not sure if this is even making sense but hopefully!

3. Where could i get the actual light fixture, i doubt I have to explain but just incase, i mean like the part that the light hooks up to, i guess that ties into number 2 because if there is an easier light fixture to hook up led lights, or maybe even just one that is already hooked up that i will just have to wire through my car?

Hopefully I have left enough ideas for you guys to help me out! Not sure if it matters but i have a 09 G6 GT

Re: Wiring 2 sets of lights to the map lights and dome light.

I guess the easy way out of this would just t put a strip of LED lights around the light housing, but i would really like at last for the 2nd actual bright LED light in the Dome light, not just a LED strip

Comment

A small led strip in the dome light would work. Add a fuse to the fuse box and then run that into a switch mounted probably by where your fog light turn on. then run the lead from that wire up the a pillar and into the dome light. I'm assuming you would have to drop the headliner but not sure.
      sigpic
      MY PROGRESSION:
      http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

you can buy LEDs with multiple colors.. white and red is fairly common.. the switching is just to get power to the correct contact.. one contact is red, the other white

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
          you can buy LEDs with multiple colors.. white and red is fairly common.. the switching is just to get power to the correct contact.. one contact is red, the other white
          Yeah but with the fitting the the dome housing I think it would be easier to rig up another switch for just the red.
          sigpic
          MY PROGRESSION:
          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Originally posted by Neatong6er View Post
            Yeah but with the fitting the the dome housing I think it would be easier to rig up another switch for just the red.
            you would def need a switch hidden somewhere.. that is not argued

I ought to take pics of my new led set-up.. y'all are gonna want to steal this.. pics tonight!!

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

How would I take the headliner off though? and do I have to be concernerd with the airbags up there? Any ideas where to put a switch?? I am most likely going to go with an led strip, seems the easiest, but still have to deal with the wiring.

Comment

Working...
              X