Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Speaker/HU Install

2006 g6 gtp coupe 3.9L w/ monsoon.

I'm new to car audio and have been spending a LOT of time understanding it all...
    Just want to replace my door speakers, 6x9's and add a head unit. No sub or amp.
    The factory speakers are trashed and a 6x9 is blown.

I have read the how to on the speedometer swap, which I'm still debating over the metra kit, or just leaving out the DIC.
    I don't plan on putting back the factory parts when I sell the car, for I would sell through owner, not dealer.
    Installed the isimple ipod adapter, which fried my ipod, so was uninstalled.

Speakers I'm looking at now are the NVX, not sure on head unit, not looking to spend much.

Can I use the OEM speaker wire? Will this cause any issues? Can it make the speakers sound like crap? Static/Pop noises?
    Will the new speakers that are running through the factory amp cause any issues?

I'm just looking for these upgrades at a decent price without ripping the entire car apart, thanks!
    Mods: Matte Black Plasti-Dip on Wheels, Upper Grille, GM/Trunk Emblems, Dupli-Color Red Calipers, Intake Res Delete, Crab Intake #3, Flush Mount Spoiler, AVS Rain Guards, Black Lower Recessed Grilles, Map/Dome Red LED's.
    Fixes: Sunroof Leak, Misc Interior Trim, Vanity Mirrors, Door Weather Stripping, Front Wheel Barrings, Control Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends.

Basic Speaker/HU Install

Using stock wiring shouldn't cause crackles or pops, I would just try to look for none coaxial sets for the front personally. However my 2 cents is, why are you upgrading the fronts? Have they blown? Getting a good quality head unit will make them sound way better with right running on the head unit. The rears I could understand why you might (bad for blowing) but if you think the nvx will sound better, they might, but not by much, and you would still want to keep your tweeters up high for your fronts, having them low will really sound muffled and like it's coming from the ground not in front of you. Basically not as good :P
    I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

Re: Basic Speaker/HU Install

Not sure if any of the fronts are blown, doesn't sound like it. Turning the volume to max isn't that loud and it's pretty distorted, this wasn't the case when I first purchased the car years ago. Although one incident happened when some drunk chick I was hanging out with cranked the volume all the way up during winter and blew a speaker!
      Basically I have some money I would like to throw at the car, might as well do it all in one go. I really want to do this myself because I like to learn these things, otherwise there is a local shop that could do it all and more for me, not sure what the price would be, I could get an estimate...
      I contacted Crutchfield and this is their response.

"The rear speakers in your factory Monsoon system are a standard size (6x9") but use a proprietary wiring configuration; they use separate sets of leads for the low & high frequency ranges. So, we can recommend aftermarket speakers to fit within the stock mounts but if you will be connecting them to the original factory wiring, they will only produce one of the two frequency ranges. To make the most of the factory wattage, you'll want speakers that have a low minimum power requirement and a high sensitivity rating like the Pioneer TS-A6965R 6x9" 3-way speakers<http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TA6965R/item.html>. They offer great performance, wide frequency response, and high efficiency. They have been very popular models and get great reviews from customers on our website. They are also on a great sale price at the moment."

"I recommend the Polk Audio DXi651s 6 ½” speaker. With the included free bracket, it will be a good fit into the factory location with no modifications. Polk has a great sound and provides you with 55 watts RMS and 165 peak. A wiring harness is not available. You'll have to cut off the factory connectors and splice the vehicle's speaker wires to your new speaker wires.
      Below is a link to the recommended speakers along with the brackets you will need to ensure a good snug fit.
      Crutchfield's experts have been helping people buy, use and enjoy A/V gear since 1974. Free shipping and lifetime tech support.

"Since you have the Monsoon system the rear 6x9 speakers receive treble and bass audio signal to these speakers via 2 sets of speaker wire, unfortunately we do not have a direct replacement option that would work with this wiring configuration. All of our speakers have a single wiring connection to receive a full range audio signal through a single set of speaker wire. So, if you're looking to upgrade these speakers my best suggestion to you would be to bypass the factory monsoon amplifier and add a new amp to power your front and rear speakers. This would allow you to use aftermarket speakers and send a full range signal to both front and rear speakers for an improved sound over what the factory system gives you now. You could tap into and use existing speaker wire in this scenario using a lower powered 4 channel amplifier but you would need to run new power from your cars battery to the amplifier and ground the amplifier to the vehicles chassis.
      Below is a shopping cart with some speakers that would do a great job for you from JBL along with a compact 4 channel Clarion amplifier that would power those to give you a nice clean high quality sound.
      Crutchfield's experts have been helping people buy, use and enjoy A/V gear since 1974. Free shipping and lifetime tech support.

That cart seems a bit more than I wanna spend and no HU.

Suggestions I've read on here: Hook up high or low, hook up high to 6x9 and low to a sub and someone just wired a neg/pos into both.
      Mods: Matte Black Plasti-Dip on Wheels, Upper Grille, GM/Trunk Emblems, Dupli-Color Red Calipers, Intake Res Delete, Crab Intake #3, Flush Mount Spoiler, AVS Rain Guards, Black Lower Recessed Grilles, Map/Dome Red LED's.
      Fixes: Sunroof Leak, Misc Interior Trim, Vanity Mirrors, Door Weather Stripping, Front Wheel Barrings, Control Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends.

Comment

Re: Basic Speaker/HU Install

Yeah in many words they just basically said what I said up there or on the other post, and so your option is place with a factory speaker or honestly, you could get something like a cheap or decent 6.5" component set and run the low to the woofer and the high to the tweeter and not use the crossover. This too would also work. Cause hoesntly that's really all it is doing, you are running the speakers seperate, but in this day and age our stupid 6x9 speakers 2 way and 3 way not woofer and tweeter
        I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

Working...
        X