GM PAL Question - Two Versions, One Big Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM PAL Question - Two Versions, One Big Question

GM offered a PAL integration for 2009.5 and 2010 G6 models. The first-gen version (part 19166154 for Malibu/G6/Aura, 19201522 for Sky/Solstice/G5/HHR/Cobalt) is getting pretty dirt cheap, you can nab it for $50.

The second-gen PAL that says it's for 2010-2012 MY cars (part 22754163) remains very expensive.

Two questions:

1) I assume the second-gen PAL actually works in 2008-2009 US8 radios too (since the newer PAL also works with '10-12 Malibu US8/US9) - but does it work better? A lot of people complain that the first-gen PAL suffers from lag and lack of shuffle.

Bonus Question: Does the second-gen PAL (22754163) support iPhone in addition to older iPods? (First-gen PAL / 19166154 definitely does not support iPhone).

It might be a nice upgrade for US8/US9 2009.5/2010 G6 owners if the second-gen PAL 22754163 would support iPhone dock connector models. If not, the first-gen PAL is cheap enough to warrant a buy at this point.
    Last edited by Christopher Price; 10-27-2014, 01:57 AM.
    My Startup: Console, Inc + ConsoleOS.com
    Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Re: GM PAL Question - Two Versions, One Big Question

Side note. Have you considered the OEM radio that has the USB port on it?

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Originally posted by black07g6gtp View Post
      Side note. Have you considered the OEM radio that has the USB port on it?
      I would say it might be easier and cheaper this way. Do you already have the usb port ?

Comment

I don't have a UUI / USB radio, my last thread was on that very subject actually. I'd prefer it too... but...

The problem with the UUI radio is that it requires a (Monsoon) amp. Wiring that is a massive mess. Checked my car and it lacks the harness. And the speakers are all 2-wire on base audio systems, a UUI head unit is expecting the 4-wire uplevel speakers.

So to do that job properly, I'd basically have to redo the whole sound system in the car. Some have managed to just get by with an amp, but that too is more effort than a PAL install by a mile.

I've got reports from a couple people that at least the v2 PAL will route app audio and work with USB-based iPods and iPhone/iPad. It requires one of the 30-pin 12v-to-5v voltage converters, but definitely works with iPhone. It also appears to work with Lightning iPod/iPhone/iPad with the Apple Lightning port adapter.

I grabbed one for $120. Going to try and have the dealer install next week... or may take a crack at it myself. Same as the iSimple procedure, since they're similar hardware to begin with.
        Last edited by Christopher Price; 10-15-2014, 06:31 PM.
        Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Comment

Give us some updates when it's done ! I'm interested.

Comment

Well, I got the "v2 PAL" - it will be installed next week, for some reason the required cable kit (19212090) hasn't arrived. Tracking number says it will be here this week.

After some research, the GMLAN v2 PAL (22754163) for 2009.5+ G6 and 2007+ Cobalt/Malibu/Aura/HHR/G5 has three major differences:

1) Better, more stable firmware (plus newer boards with better hardware)
            2) Auxiliary RCA audio jacks on the side - so you can plug in another audio accessory (like an A2DP microphone and tranceiver, for stereo Bluetooth without using the weaker front AUX jack)
            3) Direct Mode for iOS apps - Both v1 and v2 will work with iOS apps, but v2 PALs let you control compatible apps (Pandora, etc on the LCD).

In all, I highly suggest going with the v2 PAL - it seems to most closely match the UUI (USB radio) firmware's feature set.
            Last edited by Christopher Price; 10-27-2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

So, I managed to crack the secret of the UUI radios and decided to deploy the UUI radio with a USB port instead.

Trick for cars without a Monsoon amp is to use a Panasonic-built model. The Delphi models do not have the same ability to sense if the Monsoon amp isn't present - which is why you have audio level and radio reception issues.

So, anyone need a GM PAL?

Comment

The Delphi-built radios will have the USB port on the left side and the Panasonic radios will have the USB ports on the right side. Also make sure you see the color of the display. Your car has a white display and some other radios may be green.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Originally posted by black07g6gtp View Post
                  The Delphi-built radios will have the USB port on the left side and the Panasonic radios will have the USB ports on the right side. Also make sure you see the color of the display. Your car has a white display and some other radios may be green.
                  Good to know, thanks.

Here's the GM Black Tie radio color layout, BTW:

Chevy - Blue
                  Pontiac - White (with Red LEDs)
                  Saturn - Amber

Not sure if there are any Panasonic-built G6 radios, I think they may be all-Delphi. The only Pontiac radio built by Panasonic was the Solstice UUI radio. It's ~$240 from GM. Personally I went with an Aura UUI that I got for $100 less. Every time I look at the amber color, I remind myself that I saved $100.

Comment

Christopher, what an awsome article you made there ! Amazing ! Thank you, that's impressively helpful !

I'll have to check what I got in my Malibu. Also, where is normally located that amplifier ?

Comment

Originally posted by DelHuge View Post
                      Christopher, what an awsome article you made there ! Amazing ! Thank you, that's impressively helpful !

I'll have to check what I got in my Malibu. Also, where is normally located that amplifier ?
                      I presume it is the same on the G6 and Malibu. On the G6 it is inside the trunk, to the right of the passenger side seat - it's on the right frame as it arcs from the passenger cabin to the side wall above the gastank.

You'll have to pull the carpet on that side to really confirm, just go slowly and document where the carpet pops out of. I didn't and putting it back took three times as long as extracting it.

Comment

Originally posted by DelHuge View Post

Thanks, as to the amp...

I presume it is the same on the G6 and Malibu. On the G6 it is inside the trunk, to the right of the passenger side seat - it's on the right frame as it arcs from the passenger cabin to the side wall above the gastank.

You'll have to pull the carpet on that side to really confirm, just go slowly and document where the carpet pops out of. I didn't and putting it back took three times as long as extracting it.

I've also updated the article with the Panasonic vs Delphi identification - with credit of course. Also linked the Bluetooth reference to WAMS product page for the Bluetooth mod.
                        Last edited by Christopher Price; 11-18-2014, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X