Waxing my car for first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing my car for first time

Im going to wax my car for the first time. I have never done this before. I have a black and decker buffer and mothers 3 step wax. Any advice?
    87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
    90 Eagle Talon TSI
    09 G6 Progression(New Car)
    My Progression

Re: Waxing my car for first time

Im going to be honest, you want good wax? Ditch the black and decker buffer. All it does is bump and vibrate.

Get Meguiars Gold Class carnuba wax and apply it with the applicator that comes with it, get a microfiber and remove it after about 45mins. Thats all there is to it.
    Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

DITCH wax all together!! Go with Turtle Wax's ICE line up its a liquid polish YOU WONT BE SORRY! its what I use on my 6!

Comment

soon as the wearther gets better. we have been havin alot wind so theres alot of dust, and right now we might be gettin rain so soon as it clears ill be washin the 6 with the Turtle Wax Ice

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
        Originally posted by ahuhn
        so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by EvolutionOX
          DITCH wax all together!! Go with Turtle Wax's ICE line up its a liquid polish YOU WONT BE SORRY! its what I use on my 6!
          I have used the turtle wax ice products before. While I admit it is easy to apply and does not leave the white residue and goes good even on the black trim, it is not a great product. It does not provide any protection and it does not last.

Also ditch the black and decker buffer, it will probably do more harm than good if you are inexperienced with it.

There is some great write-ups on how to properly wax your car. Take the time on it and you will be happy with the results.
          Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

check out Zaino products for a showroom finish... zainostore.com

Comment

Do it the old fashion style... wax on, wax off with your bare hands! You'll get a great finish and as an added bonus you got to go some exercise.
              I've been using Eagle One Nanowax and my 6 looked like new (one of my neighbours litteraly asked me if I had a new car) ever after 4 yrs!

Have fun!
              COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
              Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
              MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
              Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

Meguiar's NXT FTW!!!

I've only applied wax by hand. Only occasionally remove wax using a low power cordless Simoniz tool.
                <-- Gray G6? Click!
                2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

If you want a good result here are the steps to make it happen.

Hand wash/dry
                  Meguiars Clay bar
                  Hand wash/dry again
                  Meguairs Step 1 (Paint cleaner)
                  Meguiars Step 2 (Paint polish?)
                  Meguiars Step 3 (Carnuba Wax)

Apply all waxes by hand. If its your first time with the buffer and your dead set on it, practice on a little area first. Constantly move the buffer around, keeping it on one area for a long period of time will strip your clear coat as well is mark your paint.

When in doubt check out these how to videos
                  http://www.meguiars.com/video/
                  2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium Edition
                  2.0 Turbo 5-Speed Automatic
                  Tsukuba Red

Comment

Check out some of the write ups in the washing/detailing section. Plenty of info.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                    Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Originally posted by Kleindl

Apply all waxes by hand. If its your first time with the buffer and your dead set on it, practice on a little area first. Constantly move the buffer around, keeping it on one area for a long period of time will strip your clear coat as well is mark your paint.
                      Its always best to apply wax by machine because its more uniform and gives consistent coverage

As for buffers, the only machine you need to worry about is a Rotary, those will strip the paint because of friction build up, you can use a DA however which is somewhat similar minus the heat build up and high amounts of power.

Look into getting a porter cable or g110 if in search of a polisher/ somethingtoapply wax

Comment

Ok i just bought a clay bar kit. Any advice before i go out and try it?
                        90 Eagle Talon TSI
                        My Progression

Comment

Just spray the surface with plenty of lube, if it catches, add more spray.
                          Be sure to fold the clay often as well, or youll end up swirling and scratching the paint.

Ummmm
                          If you end up running out of the spray lubricant, you can add water and soap as a replacement.
                          Also make sure you wash the car well before you clay, you don't want to pick up any small dirt or you're gonna swirl the car to hell.

Comment

Can i leave wax on my car over night?
                            90 Eagle Talon TSI
                            My Progression

Comment

Probably not the best idea. The wax is a tad bit sticky, and god knows what's in the air and gets bonded with the wax. When you wipe it off the foreign material might scratch it up.

If you don't have time to do the whole car, detail in parts. Use detailer spray to throughly wipe clean the part, then clay, clean, polish then wax.
                              <-- Gray G6? Click!
                              2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                              2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                              Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X