Intake Manifold Tuning Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Manifold Tuning Valve

My '07 just had her intake manifold tuning valve motor replaced. Bet you didn't know you had one, did you? It controls the amount of air flow the system uses to achieve max performance & efficiency. Seems there was an exchange program for the '06 with 3.9L with Service Bulletin 05-06-01-023. My engine service light came on and, in checking it out, seems the valve had been sticking for 17,000 and I didn't even know it.
    Out of warranty, but I'm pursuing it with corporate. It's worth $400.00. Will keep you informed.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543500/1

Re: Intake Manifold Tuning Valve

there only on the 3.9's as well

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

What are the symptoms?

Can someone post the TSB?

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i think it was an SES light and or underhood noise

ill post it in a bit

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

as for TSB 05-06-01-023 this is all thats left

The intake manifold tuning valve assembly exchange program for the 3.9L V6 engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LZ9) for model year 2006 has ended. It is no longer necessary to contact the Product Quality Center (PQC) prior to replacement of the 3.9L V6 intake manifold tuning valve assembly. Technicians should use SI for normal diagnosis and repair procedures regarding the intake manifold tuning valve.

there are however 2 other bulletins for it lol

first one

#PIP4124A: DTC P2070 2071 2077 2078 And/Or Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Replacement - keywords mil ses - (Sep 11, 2007)

Subject: DTC P2070, 2071, 2077, 2078 and/or Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Replacement

Models: 2006-2008 Buick Terraza

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu, Uplander

2006-2008 Pontiac G6, Montana SV6

2007 Saturn Relay

equipped with 3.9L LZ9, LGD engine (VIN Code 1 or W)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was supeceded to update model years. Please discard PIP4124.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
          Some owners may comment that the Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on. Using a Tech 2 you may find that there is DTC P2070 or P2071 or P2077 or P2078 stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

The bushing located inside the upper intake manifold that supports the tip of the intake manifold tuning valve shaft may be missing.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Remove the intake manifold tuning valve and inspect the inside of the upper intake manifold to see if the bushing is present.

If the bushing is NOT present then the upper intake manifold and intake manifold tuning valve will have to be replaced. Refer to the appropriate section in SI for replacement procedures. ·If the bushing IS present then proceed with your diagnosis of the intake manifold tuning valve.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

and bulletin number 2

#PIP3430: Engine Rattle or Buzz Noise Between 1600-3800 RPM - keywords intake IMTV LZ9 manifold tuning valve - (May 17, 2005)

Subject: Engine Rattle or Buzz Noise Between 1600-3800 RPM

Models: 2006 Buick Terraza

2006 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu/Malibu Maxx

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Uplander

2006 Pontiac G6, Montana SV6

2006 Saturn Relay With the 3.9L Engine (VIN 1 - RPO LZ9)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
          Some owners may comment about an engine rattling or buzzing noise while driving with engine RPM between 1600-3800.

Recommendation/Instructions:
          To obtain optimum torque and horsepower, the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (IMTV) is fully closed between 1600 and 3800 RPM. If the IMTV valve blade-to-drive motor coupler is worn or loose, and the IMTV valve is commanded closed, a buzzing or rattling noise may result.

In most instances, this noise will never be audible to the customer, as in durability testing it was discovered only when the engine compartment hood was open while standing next to the vehicle.

To determine if the IMTV valve is the source of the concern, perform the following steps:

Open hood of the vehicle.
          Using a Tech 2, command the IMTV valve fully closed.
          Raise the engine RPM to between 1600-3800 RPM.
          If noise is duplicated, command the IMTV to the open position. If noise is gone, replace the IMTV valve assembly.
          If noise was not eliminated in the above test, review service information for other sources of engine noise and perform further diagnosis.
          Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Comment

I never noticed any of the noise or could notice any different performance. Just the Engine Light coming on.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543500/1

Comment

I had a rattle/ buzzing noise on my 6 that was within those RPM ranges! I wonder if that was making the noise. I never got around to bringing it to the dealer i just know it was getting a little worse before i traded her in.

Comment

There is also a tsb for the 3.6 tuning valve with a vin break. Mine was built after the break though.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
                4 door mafia
                93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
                8000k hid's
                Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
                Rotofab cai and radiator cover
                13.207@107.11
                330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

Has anyone else been had this problem? My car is currently in the shop being looked at with this same problem.

Comment

I had that problem on my 07 3.6. It had about 5000 miles when the light came on. They replaced the valve and all is well.
                    Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
                    - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
                    - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Comment

My SS is doing it and its been bugging the shit out of me. Im taking it in A.S.A.P...
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665190"

Performance mods...
                      Tuned by SB Tuning (93 octane tune)... Ported throttle body by SB Tuning... CAI for the G6 from Ebay... Custom exhaust and Dyna Max mufflers... Stock Wheel with 225 45 18 Good Year RSA's Repainted Gunmetal Grey... Now Upper and lower 10,000k HID's... NRG Engine damper Installed... Cquence Drilled/Slotted rotors... Racing Line MMI's

Comment

Has anyone else had this problem? My car was in the shop last week with the same problem. They wouldn't fix it under warranty though because they said it was part of my emission and and emissions weren't covered under my warranty. That is considered wear and tear items. WTF??? Can someone explain to me how something to do with my intake manifold is part of my emissions?

Comment

i can tell you that dealer is full of it. i would find a new dealer

especialy since some emmisons components get EXTRA warrenty

Comment

I intend on taking my 6 back to the dealership I bought it at. Unfortentualy I'm at college in a town that only has one GM dealership, and haven't had time to get back home yet. I'm pissed that I had to shell out 180 bucks for them to tell me they wouldn't do anything about it.

Comment

this shit doesnt sound good...

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
                              PSN: racin247
                              Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

Working...
                              X